What do You Listen to That's not Music?

Wolfbane

3 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Do you know where I can get a copy of that print?

Maynard

Maynard, I may be wrong, but that sure looks like a vintage beer ad....

I haven't listened to the radio for at least 10 years, either at home or in my car.  Too much junk, too many commercials.  Not unlike TV, and I don't watch that much either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Maynard, I may be wrong, but that sure looks like a vintage beer ad....

I haven't listened to the radio for at least 10 years, either at home or in my car.  Too much junk, too many commercials.  Not unlike TV, and I don't watch that much either.

Agreed on the latter. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

General Tv and football games, not all the time just depends on what's on. It's 6.1 and you would be surprised at some of the Tv commercials or shows, good recording quality, and some really deep bass, some just suck its really obvious who cares about the sound quality.  

When not using our Home Theater or Stereo Systems, you can usually find me sitting in front of our old Zenith drinking a cup of Coffee and listening to “Inner Sanctum” or "The Lone Ranger" just waiting for Lawrence Welk to start.  :emotion-44:

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

When not using our Home Theater or Stereo Systems, you can usually find me sitting in front of our old Zenith drinking a cup of Coffee and listening to “Inner Sanctum” or "The Lone Ranger" just waiting for Lawrence Welk to start.  :emotion-44:

That reminds me of when I was a little kid, I would listen to boxing and shows with my dad on his radio, I don't remember what it looked like, yours looks great. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

That reminds me of when I was a little kid, I would listen to boxing and shows with my dad on his radio, I don't remember what it looked like, yours looks great. 

I used to do exactly the same thing. I have an early memory of listening to the Ali vs Liston fights and a radio program that would pit ersatz matches between the early greats of boxing against boxers of earlier or later era such as Marciano vs. Ali or Joe Louis. Been a lifelong fan of boxing ever since.

Don King notwithstanding!

Wb

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Can you post the link for where you found that picture?

Maynard

Maynard, I’ll take a look for it when I get back to my desktop PC (I can’t make out the brand of beer they’re enjoying in the advertising image - if you can let me know as it will help me to find it again) The image I posted was a low res copy that I found while going through photos and images on my iPhone. 

Wb

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Laurie Anderson... a lot of her catalog is NOT musical in nature. I also have some William S Burroughs cds.

Ha! I just received Laurie Anderson's "Landfall" with the Kronos Quartet. She never disappoints me, even though I can't figure her out.

I don't own a television, so the stereo is on A LOT. When not listening to music on FM, I listen to NPR.

My favorite local non-commercial radio station, WPKN, has some interesting programming which often combines music with readings, and interviews, among other things. They're in the middle of fundraising right now, so if you choose to check them out, don't judge the station by the current fundraising. Download some of their archived programs instead.

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Can you post the link for where you found that picture?

Maynard

Maynard,

After looking around on my desktop pc for a little while, I believe the original came from this website a few years ago:  http://nostalgiadigest.com/specialsanddocumentaries.html

You may want to contact them directly to see if they still have this image for sale in poster size and resolution.

Good Luck, Wb

• 4 weeks later...

I still listen to AM on the way to work and home alot of days. Sometimes when I'm getting ready to go to work I listen to jazz on a local college station. Coast to coast some nights coming home on eves. I talke on AM and SSB on the radio. I talked long path to gearldton aus at over 15000 miles!  

14 hours ago, mr clean said:

I still listen to AM on the way to work and home alot of days. Sometimes when I'm getting ready to go to work I listen to jazz on a local college station. Coast to coast some nights coming home on eves. I talke on AM and SSB on the radio. I talked long path to gearldton aus at over 15000 miles!  

Some shortwave also but its been awhile. 

• Like 1