Klipsch RP-160M cracked bottom

nampramos

My first post here, and I'm already asking for help. Hope someone can provide some helpful insight and possible solution(s).

Would you even bother trying to fix this or is the base of the speaker totally separate from the main body?

I don't mind the cosmetic problem, I'm just concerned in terms of sonic performance.

There's 3 photos attached, which I hope you can all see.

Thank you!

KlipschRP160M-1.jpeg

KlipschRP160M-2.jpeg

KlipschRP160M-3.jpeg

Thank you both!
I will most likely pick these up tomorrow morning, second hand. Have only seen them in pictures.

Wanted to be sure it wouldn't affect sonic performance, otherwise wouldn't even go there in person to check them out.

Any other thing I should keep an eye for on this model?

The seller says they sound great and have nothing else bad about them besides that broken corner at the base.

Thank you guys!

I bought them this morning after testing them at the seller’s house. Sounded very nice.

Going to connect them to a vintage Marantz 2230 from the 70s in a bit and will report back.

I’ll probably remove the base and have them sideways on a bookshelf in the living room.

16 hours ago, nampramos said:

Thank you guys!

I bought them this morning after testing them at the seller’s house. Sounded very nice.

Going to connect them to a vintage Marantz 2230 from the 70s in a bit and will report back.

I’ll probably remove the base and have them sideways on a bookshelf in the living room.

Glad they will work out for you, cracked base (or lack of) and all.

So, I got them connected to my old Marantz 2230, and even though it has seen better days, the speakers are playing flawlessly and I'm really enjoying them. 

Now I just need to get the 2230 fully restored to its former glory. Since I last moved it (it has been cabin luggage twice in the last 2 years) the FM stopped working and it definitely shows some signs of being tired and a slight hiss on all channels when no music is being played. 

The speakers themselves look great in the living room and provide all the sound I might ever need. Even connected to the 30W per channel of the 2230 they just scream and I cannot see myself ever going past half on the volume knob. Pretty sure the 2230 isn't outputting 30W any longer either, after almost 50 years.

Thank you all for the help and replies. The base actually looks better in real life than on the photos I showed here.

If I were to get a modern amp to use while the 2230 gets restored, would the Onkyo A-9110 be a good option? Seems to rank high as an affordable amp.

Edited by nampramos

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2018 at 5:41 AM, JefDC said:

That base is attached with 4 screws and can be removed easily.

I did that with mine before putting them on a pedestal.

It doesnt affect them taking off the base from bottom? I have wall mounts and no way i can put them up unless i take off the bottom base of the r160m

You are left with 4 small holes on the underside from the wood screws, so basically - no, not affected.

What I do wonder is; if you mount them to the wall, with the backside against the wall then the port on the back is closed off and that will have an effect.