Pro vs Heritage

tomy2

14 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Imagine filling the room with great sound without the blaring volume. 

‘That’s what I’m hoping to accomplish with the 396’s. 

Is that a type of super tweeter on the very top of the mcm 1900? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, Panelhead said:

a little too large for the area

Some of us don't understand that, if it fits in the door your good

53 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The main thing with the MCM stack is how accurate they sound and how they do it so effortlessly. Imagine filling the room with great sound without the blaring volume

This the main reason for having large speakers, it's not about volume at all, it's about sounding huge at any volume. 

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

This isn't the latest picture,  but not much has changed.

Looking good, I think you have it covered...................you make me feel normal. :emotion-19: 

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I like dark chocolate:)

And big speakers, seen the pictures, your in that group, but your right dark chocolate is best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Maybe I need measurements on the MCM 1900’s. My doors are all 36” x 80”. 

My wife might pack up and go if a pair of those shows up the next time she does a “girls trip” for few days. The last few big purchases I made were here waiting on her return. 

Best time to do it.   She comes back happy and is greeted by you in bliss.   What could be better?  They can easily be hidden by a small towel when not in use.  No one will even see them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2018 at 7:19 PM, dtel said:
On 12/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Looking good, I think you have it covered...................you make me feel normal:emotion-19:

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I have been to Walmart and seen what is now accepted as normal. I am happy to not be normal. 

What can I say that will rectify this feeling that I have bestowed upon you?

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I agree with the statement. A fraction of a watt is plenty. From there they get very loud. I have never felt self destructive enough to turn them up more. 

The main thing with the MCM stack is how accurate they sound and how they do it so effortlessly. Imagine filling the room with great sound without the blaring volume. 

It is fun to watch peoples faces when they first hear an MCM stack.  I see you have room for some Super MWM's  :laugh:

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 12:14 PM, tomy2 said:

so I wonder why there’s not more talk about them or in general more discussion about the Pro series. Maybe there has been and I’m just new to it all. 

I am not sure why either if quality of sound is the only important metric. I think in many cases just the idea of a speaker being professional creates a false impression in the minds of many who are looking for home use because home use must be better for the home, right? I had a chance one day to listen back to back to a new La Scala and a Jubilee with 402 horns on them. The clear superiority of the Jubilees was not small nor subtle. I have had many variations of pro and vintage veneer and while I really like the Chorus I's and La Scalas what I choose to keep for myself is pro gear all the way. I have been able to listen back to back in my environment to a number of both types in my shop and all I can say is if you do not consider pro gear you are not looking for the absolute best sound.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:24 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The guy I bought my MCM from said that they make LaScala and Khorns sound like bookshelf speakers.

Yes but very nice ones.

• Like 2

Pro is expensive. It seems like there’s this misconception that bc they’re pro and don’t focus on aesthetics for the home with costly wood veneer- that they’re cheap or at least similar in cost to the heritage and reference lines. They seem to be much more costly and then add the fact that there’s not too many people who can get away with using them in a living room and they’re not friendly toward DIY guys who would like to veneer the cabinets themselves due to all the rounded/beveled edges etc and odd shapes.
I can also see the specs turning some off in terms of low end.

I personally wanted to go this route and was shocked at the price I was told for the Ki-396-II or the 362-II I was interested in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I personally wanted to go this route and was shocked at the price I was told for the Ki-396-II or the 362-II I was interested in" 

I agree. I initially had sticker shock when I heard what a pair of the 396s cost.  I wanted to buy these before any other heritage purchase, but wasnt willing to spend heading towards double what a Forte III pair would cost.   I only bought them as Cory was (and may still be) running a special, otherwise I would have kept my Cornwall IIIs. 

• Like 1

I know this may sound crazy considering what I normally listen to but here goes. When I have to concentrate and music has to be very low while working on CAD or machining files in the shop I have an old Klipsch Pro 2.1 computer speaker system and sitting right there in near field land they sound really nice. I think they were maybe $80 refurb buys.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I have been to Walmart and seen what is now accepted as normal. I am happy to not be normal. 

What can I say that will rectify this feeling that I have bestowed upon you?

I was kidding, it was just a chance for me to feel normal, but there is too much evidence to pull that off, and I know better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1