Pro vs Heritage

tomy2

3 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Pro is expensive. It seems like there’s this misconception that bc they’re pro and don’t focus on aesthetics for the home with costly wood veneer- that they’re cheap or at least similar in cost to the heritage and reference lines. They seem to be much more costly and then add the fact that there’s not too many people who can get away with using them in a living room and they’re not friendly toward DIY guys who would like to veneer the cabinets themselves due to all the rounded/beveled edges etc and odd shapes.
I can also see the specs turning some off in terms of low end.

I personally wanted to go this route and was shocked at the price I was told for the Ki-396-II or the 362-II I was interested in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got to stop with the negative waves man:)

image.png.1d53b298ca5e6c2c31ccf7c017c4fe1b.png

I plan to veneer my Jube bass cabinets this winter.

• Like 5

Well that’s just my inexperienced thought. Maybe it’s easier than I imagine to veneer rounded edges/corners? Maybe special veneer I don’t know about that doesn’t break when bent? I really don’t know. Point me in the right direction if you know- then maybe I’ll consider industrial la scala splits again and veneer them in beautiful walnut :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I requested no rounded over edges and was accommodated. So I think that means they used a flush router bit instead of a round over bit. And they're raw so i don't have to remove the pebble finish. It's still gonna be a job. Hopefully fun and a learning experience.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

I know this may sound crazy considering what I normally listen to but here goes. When I have to concentrate and music has to be very low while working on CAD or machining files in the shop I have an old Klipsch Pro 2.1 computer speaker system and sitting right there in near field land they sound really nice. I think they were maybe $80 refurb buys.

Yep, that's crazy talk!

15 hours ago, dtel said:

I was kidding, it was just a chance for me to feel normal, but there is too much evidence to pull that off, and I know better. 

I have seen normal and you really don't want to be 'normal' and neither do i. Most of the people in this forum aren't normal. Most here want Cornwall. LaScala and Khorn or larger. 

Normal listens to Bose and claim them to be the best.

😫

18 hours ago, WillyBob said:

if I want an MWM bin in this house, I would need to build it in here. 

Can't contribute much to this discussion as I haven't heard many speakers... R15M, Forte III, and the Scalas I own.... they are quite adequate for a 900sq/ft house.

900sqft with LaScala? That should do it. The MWM are great. I want to add a KPT 1802 in the mix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomy2 said:

Received my 396’s yesterday at my work. Going to let them play for a few days around the clock before bringing them home. 

Hmmmm, are you going to listen to them while they are doing this? I could not wait that long to hear them myself. I think you will be very pleased with what you bought.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Hmmmm, are you going to listen to them while they are doing this? I could not wait that long to hear them myself. I think you will be very pleased with what you bought.

I know, part of me wanted to just bring them home but I figured if there was ever any kind of break in to be had on the drivers this would help since I could play them 24/7 at reasonable levels. 

7 hours ago, tomy2 said:

I know, part of me wanted to just bring them home but I figured if there was ever any kind of break in to be had on the drivers this would help since I could play them 24/7 at reasonable levels. 

place the speakers face to face as close as they will go  wire on speaker out of phase with the other one so the outputs offset each other play them fed inter station radio noise as loud as you can cover them with a moving blanket or two leave to play loud for as long as you can. This method works well makes the least amount of noise gives you the greatest amount of driver motion. As loud as possible is what is required for high efficiency speakers to make them move.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, IndyHT80 said:

I am thinking about the 396s

Several forum members have bought KPT-396 speakers over the years and had many good comments about them.

Forum members seen on these old threads sometimes have moved on to different pastures and may not ever see your question. If you float your mouse cursor over their forum name/moniker, you can see when they last visited while signed on.

Doing a web search can often link you to good information on the speakers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

396's come up on the used market quite often... take that as you will.

I noticed a trend awhile ago people buy the 396's and sing a good praise then a few months they're up for sale this has happened several times. I recently installed 396 crossovers in my Chorus II cabinets and they did sound great but needed some volume 75+ db to kind of balance out, at least in my room with my gear. With the 325 crossovers I have in them now I get fuller, more detailed sound right off the bottom and perfectly happy listening at less than 70db. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, jjptkd said:

I noticed a trend awhile ago people buy the 396's and sing a good praise then a few months they're up for sale this has happened several times. I recently installed 396 crossovers in my Chorus II cabinets and they did sound great but needed some volume 75+ db to kind of balance out, at least in my room with my gear. With the 325 crossovers I have in them now I get fuller, more detailed sound right off the bottom and perfectly happy listening at less than 70db. 

I’ve been living with mine for 2 weeks and really like them. They are not as linear as the THX Ultra 2 series but after EQing down the hotness of the compression driver I got them pretty close. They bring other assets to the table with a warmer mid bass and lower midrange with the larger driver. I will be getting REW soon to feed me data for a XILICA processor and then I will really dial it in. 

• Like 2