Pro vs Heritage

tomy2

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha :D  GO PRO! Not familiar with the 396's but have 904's ... they will blow anything away WITH refined sound :D  Still looking for a pair of 684's :) 

Cheers, Emi;le

They are beasts.   I love to crank it now and again.  On average in 80 to 90 dB or so.   Louder than most.  Wow, All that can be said when you crank them even a little.  

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, tomy2 said:

Duke Lejeune of Audiokinesis makes some nice controlled directivity speakers that I think Klipsch could mimic for the 396.

I have never heard them but would be willing to bet it's a step down from the 396 in sound. ?

7 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Initially, I ignored PRO with a mindset similar to a couple others I read here THAT PRO must BE "X Y Z".  After seeing Roy's and several others comments here, I decided to try the dark side.... 

The dark side is good.

30 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

There is, it's a two way and the  privileged own em.  This is the 3 way "pro" version 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kpt-jubilee

I think that model is made to shoot through a movie theater screen, probably not great in a house? Would have to change the driver on the tweeter, bet it does not sound as good as the 402 horn

Duke Lejeune of Audiokinesis makes some nice controlled directivity speakers that I think Klipsch could mimic for the 396.

I have never heard them but would be willing to bet it's a step down from the 396 in sound. ?

Willing to second your guess.   The 510 horn is quite large in such a "compact" package. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, tomy2 said:

I’m anxiously and excitedly awaiting a pair of 396’s I ordered from Cory at MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Congratulations, on both the 396's and going through Cory, he really is a nice guy with great prices.

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

I have never heard them but would be willing to bet it's a step down from the 396 in sound. ?

I’ve never heard them either. That particular model in th pic is called the Dream Maker and Duke had the Azel on display at RMAF. From what I read from those who thought the Forte 3 and LaScala’s were very good, the Azel was on another level so I’m guessing in the ballpark as the 396. Comparing what I paid for the 396’s and what Audiokinesis sells their speakers for I think I’m out ahead either way. 😎

Comparing what I paid for the 396’s and what Audiokinesis sells their speakers for I think I’m out ahead either way. 😎

I don't even have to know what "they" charge.  IMO after playing around with audio for many years now, there is no better VALUE than Klipsch new or used unless you perhaps stumble upon some amazing DIY speakers and are a handy woodworker (I'm not). 

35 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

I am getting old. The looks of equipment does matter today. Even in “my” listening area. My wife hated a pair of B&W 801 S2, has never commented on the La Scala ii sitting in the same spot. The LS are maybe 50% larger and almost cubes. Think it is the all wood. No black. 

At my listening levels the Pro series does not offer much over the Heritage. Loud is maybe low 90’s. If I still cranked it up that might be different. 

And I like three ways better than two ways. Played with and carried too many A7’s and other big two ways to love them anymore. 

So one vote for Heritage.

‘My biggest concern with going with something like the 396 was would I be able to get out of them what they’re capable of. I assumed you had to crank them to really justify owning them but after getting feedback from owners who said they sound great at all listening levels my concern was waned. One guy here has them in a relatively small room too so I’m betting them working really well in my room. 

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

Congratulations, on both the 396's and going through Cory, he really is a nice guy with great prices.

‘Thanks! Cory’s price on some b-stock 396’s was comparable to the Forte III’s so I figured this may be my rare chance at getting such a speaker.

Edited by tomy2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, tomy2 said:

I’ve never heard them either. That particular model in th pic is called the Dream Maker and Duke had the Azel on display at RMAF. From what I read from those who thought the Forte 3 and LaScala’s were very good, the Azel was on another level so I’m guessing in the ballpark as the 396. Comparing what I paid for the 396’s and what Audiokinesis sells their speakers for I think I’m out ahead either way. 😎

I think your right about being ahead already. I have seen people who have alot of experience with many high end speakers who are very surprised after listening to the 396's. I remember one person Luther Ward say something I think about when I think of those speakers. He said the resolving power of the 396 is amazing. I had never thought about it that way before.

5 minutes ago, tomy2 said:

Cory’s price on some b-stock 396’s was comparable to the Forte III’s so I figured this may be my rare chance at getting such a speaker.

That would be a great price, and rare I would think. 

6 minutes ago, tomy2 said:

Cory’s price on some b-stock 396’s was comparable to the Forte III’s so I figured this may be my rare chance at getting such a speaker.

That would be a great price, and rare I would think. 

Got my money thinking the same.  After that price difference woudk never be interested. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

I am getting old. The looks of equipment does matter today.

I am already old but the looks aren't a big deal here as long as they're not butt ugly like some of the high priced esoteric brands who push for that different almost industrial look.

My wife picked out our 2 ch speakers in the living room after hearing them once, there 2 way,  big and not exactly normal looking pro speakers. mwm/402

If we ever wanted to downsize we could get Jubilees. :lol:

So one vote for Heritage.

Me, I have to give a vote to Heritage and Pro, not so much for Reference, just like the others much better.

• Like 1

• Moderators

At my listening levels the Pro series does not offer much over the Heritage. Loud is maybe low 90’s. If I still cranked it up that might be different. 

Just went and checked it, normal everyday listening is about 60-70 db, from about 10am to 7pm or whenever someone wants to watch tv at night, rarely much louder, maby a few songs here and there.

Just now, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The detail in the sound is like live sound. I was jamming at 1/10th of a watt this morning. Last night, I cranked them to a whole watt...RMS. ...No joke.

100 watts is stupid loud, and still sounds great. 

I belive you. I have NO idea how much power I am currently using with these 396s, but my wyred 4 Sound amp remains ICE cold even after spirited sessions.  I like the fact of no limits on my system, currently I truly have none.  I doubt I tap 25% of what this system is capable of even during spirited sessions. SOOOOOOOOOO loud, yet ridiculously clear.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

MCM1900 4 way here. I've never heard better, and I can't imagine downsizing. 

Have never heard of the MCM 1900 so just looked up a picture of them. My goodness, what size room are they in? They gotta be fun!

• Haha 1