Woody smell

TheBoom

Hey guys

So I’ve had a Jamo J10 (which is essentially the RSW10) for about half a year or more now. Figured I’d ask here since Jamo is owned by Klipsch and they don’t have their own forum. 

After doing some room correction and and eq I have the sub nicely integrated with a shallower roll off than out of the box.

However I sometimes notice a faint smell of wood and maybe even glue from the sub sometimes after passages of low end or even pure tones below 30hz. 

Am I over driving the voice coil? Or is it just heat causing the wood to smell?

I should mention that I have the port partially blocked to reduce chuffing and boominess. 

Thanks n advance for any replies. 

You might have better luck here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/872526-official-jamo-speaker-owner-s-thread.html#/topics/872526?page=586

Also, I wouldn't block anything that wasn't intended to be blocked.

Plus, with its -3dB point being 31Hz I'd be careful sending any test tones below that point to it.

Don't block ports, unless intended to be done from manufacturer.   Burnt voice coils smell like burning metal (you cannot mistake this).   If you smell a woody smell and your enclosure is ported (RSW10 is not in the sense of air passing through an open port) then you are smelling the enclosure.   I currently have a woody smell in my living room and a smile on my face.   Hope that helps?   Quite a big difference.   Don't torture your gear with test tones unless it's to measure or troubleshoot.   Why do so?  

if air flow is the issue I would suggest to you that you graduate to a pair of subs or better yet a larger displacement pair of subs. You are cooking your voice coil and home gear is not intended to run so close to the edge from a power handling  point of view. Be the vent open or closed you are too close to the power handling level of your sub woofer so find it a new home where it does not have to work so hard and move yourself on up to something larger which will do a much better job for you.

Thanks for the replies. Room is 1100 cb ft and I’m out of physical space. Also it’s a bedroom within an apartment so dual subs or bigger subs are not really an option. 

I was just measuring to see the response below the tuning point. There’s decent output down to 25hz and from there it starts falling off hard. I have a bit of eq at 20-24hz maybe I should remove that?

It’s  definitely a woody smell. When I had the port fully plugged I didn’t notice it. With it half blocked I get a whiff of that smell like I mentioned during extended bass passages. 

The chuffing and boominess from the sub sub is pretty audible with the port completely unblocked. 

I have a wall watt meter. Should I plug it in with the sub and see if the amp is hitting its limits?

Thanks for the replies. Room is 1100 cb ft and I’m out of physical space. Also it’s a bedroom within an apartment so dual subs or bigger subs are not really an option. 

I was just measuring to see the response below the tuning point. There’s decent output down to 25hz and from there it starts falling off hard. I have a bit of eq at 20-24hz maybe I should remove that?

That is a large space for one small sub.   You will blow that sub and or amp.    Get another or get an 18". I have dual 18" subs and my entire housw is a little larger than tje space you have mentioned if that tells you anything. What are your main speakers?  Amps or not?   Where is the sub crossed?   Never EQ a self powered sub.   You a causing it a premature death. Stop it.  Don't try to make one small sub enough, it's not. You can't cheat physics.   Physics say get a MUCH larger sub, dual subs, or much better mains to here you don't need a sub (Cornwall III from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters)..  Not sure if you are trying to do 2 channel or home theater?   You are lacking A LOT of information.  Give us all the info for best advise.   

even if you got two 8 inch subs they would push 1.5 times as much air a a single ten inch sub can and have near twice the power handling and almost twice the head room. Your overall per sub level would be about 3db lower than with a single ten inch sub. That is one of your options, the other would be a loudspeaker which does not require so much help in the bottom end but that is going to get larger and probably more expensive than a pair of smaller subs. Stereo subs will have the added benefit of helping to create a larger sound stage with improve image.

30 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Thanks for the replies. Room is 1100 cb ft and I’m out of physical space. Also it’s a bedroom within an apartment so dual subs or bigger subs are not really an option. 

I was just measuring to see the response below the tuning point. There’s decent output down to 25hz and from there it starts falling off hard. I have a bit of eq at 20-24hz maybe I should remove that?

That is a large space for one small sub.   You will blow that sub and or amp.    Get another or get an 18". I have dual 18" subs and my entire housw is a little larger than tje space you have mentioned if that tells you anything. What are your main speakers?  Amps or not?   Where is the sub crossed?   Never EQ a self powered sub.   You a causing it a premature death. Stop it.  Don't try to make one small sub enough, it's not. You can't cheat physics.   Physics say get a MUCH larger sub, dual subs, or much better mains to here you don't need a sub (Cornwall III from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters)..  Not sure if you are trying to do 2 channel or home theater?   You are lacking A LOT of information.  Give us all the info for best advise.   

I’m a bit lost here. 1100 cubic feet is a large space? How can your house be smaller than that? 

With all due respect I think even an 15 inch would be too large for this space. I have everything calibrated and a house curve implemented. My issue is not poor bass response or anything like that which is why I left out info regarding my setup. 

My only concern is the faint wood smell coming from the sub occasionally. 

I will probably remove all eq below the tuning point if that’s cause for concern. 

26 minutes ago, moray james said:

even if you got two 8 inch subs they would push 1.5 times as much air a a single ten inch sub can and have near twice the power handling and almost twice the head room. Your overall per sub level would be about 3db lower than with a single ten inch sub. That is one of your options, the other would be a loudspeaker which does not require so much help in the bottom end but that is going to get larger and probably more expensive than a pair of smaller subs. Stereo subs will have the added benefit of helping to create a larger sound stage with improve image.

To be honest I’ve got plenty of output above 30hz. It’s whats below that’s a little lacking. Not so much lacking but rolloffs steep which I’d rather avoid. 

I don’t think 2 8inches would help with that would they? Plus even if I did go that route I would have to place them beside each other which would defeat most of the purpose of going dual subs anyway.

Again thanks for the responses. 

why would you have to place them together? spaced woofers will help to control the air pressuer in the listening volume better remember bass frequencies are very long . The woofers should be as close to the main speakers as possible so that they integrate well.

It would seem that you need larger subs and not smaller ones given you comments. If you want more output below 30 Hz there is no substitute for larger pistons. The size of the woofer has little to do with the response but if you want to move a lot of air at low frequency you will need to push a lot of air and that is generally easier to do with a larger woofer than with a smaller one with long throw. If you don't have available  floor space there are other options such as placing the woofer in another room that you can vent into your listening space or in the basement or even in the attic so long as you can vent into the listening space.

4 hours ago, moray james said:

why would you have to place them together? spaced woofers will help to control the air pressuer in the listening volume better remember bass frequencies are very long . The woofers should be as close to the main speakers as possible so that they integrate well.

It would seem that you need larger subs and not smaller ones given you comments. If you want more output below 30 Hz there is no substitute for larger pistons. The size of the woofer has little to do with the response but if you want to move a lot of air at low frequency you will need to push a lot of air and that is generally easier to do with a larger woofer than with a smaller one with long throw. If you don't have available  floor space there are other options such as placing the woofer in another room that you can vent into your listening space or in the basement or even in the attic so long as you can vent into the listening space.

Yeah it’s not ideal but it’s what I have to work with for the foreseeable future. 10 inch is the largest I can fit but maybe I should have got one with more power.

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

As was stated, don't apply any EQ to your sub.  Equalizers should only be used to lower frequency peaks, not raise frequency nulls.

Yeah I will probably remove all the eq below tuning thanks. 

Didn’t want to start a new thread so apologies for necroing this but I just got around to plugging in my watt meter. 

Power usage seems to hover around 6-8 watts at -15 to -13 MV (calibrated to 85db at reference). How is this possible? Is the amp shot? 

The watt meter seems to be working correctly with other equipment so I reckon that isn’t the problem. 

Increasing the volume by 3db doesn’t seem to anywhere near double the power usage.