Has anyone made turducken from scratch?

Thaddeus Smith

Planning my Christmas meal and it dawned on me that I still have all three birds walking around waiting to be butchered: a decent sized turkey, some modest ducks, and small meat chickens.

Can't say I've ever deboned a bird, but it's not too far beyond what I've already done. Looking for pointers or tips to make the dish really shine, I guess.

would like to but never used a duck but did use Rock Cornish Hens and stuffed them with pork/bread stuffing to help keep thing more on the fat/juicy side as a duck would (much more fat on a duck than a turkey). That was a long time ago but it was very good. A very happy Christmas to all the good folk here and all across the country to those who partake. A happy Hanukkah as well to our Jewish brothers. Tis the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Sorry, never tried it even made by someone else, not crazy about duck. 

But this had me laughing. 

There used to be a cajun butcher shop locally that made them with either boudain or etouffe dressing.  They were incredible.   Very rich but very very good.

We had a small restaurant years ago run by a German couple who made crispy roast duck with mashed potatoes and gravy and onions which was spectacular. They also made a liver and onions dish where the liver was 3/4" thick and soft with mashed potatoes and mushrooms and onions with gravy that if I ate it today I would die a very pleasant  cholesterol death.

JJK

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 7:33 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Planning my Christmas meal and it dawned on me that I still have all three birds walking around waiting to be butchered: a decent sized turkey, some modest ducks, and small meat chickens.

Can't say I've ever deboned a bird, but it's not too far beyond what I've already done. Looking for pointers or tips to make the dish really shine, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1