Epic CF3 - $300

Marvel

14 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

I’m 1.5 hours from there. Are they really that good? Man they’re rough. I’ve never heard any before. How do they compare to Forte or forte 2 etc...?

Everyone has different likes and dislikes, I had a set of the bigger brother CF4 and they far out performed the forte2's, Chorus 2's and KLF 30's I had at the time. That is me tho so YMMV. I believe @avguytx had a pair of the Cf3's, maybe he will chime in.

• Like 1

Those might "possibly" be version 2's?  I don't know the serial number range that well; it would be good to know the port length before hand, but, $300 and a little bit of elbow grease would have you some great performers.  Definitely hard to tell how good or bad the veneer is from the pictures.

Seems like I've posted about this pair somewhere.  I forget.

20 hours ago, avguytx said:

Those might "possibly" be version 2's?  I don't know the serial number range that well; it would be good to know the port length before hand, but, $300 and a little bit of elbow grease would have you some great performers.  Definitely hard to tell how good or bad the veneer is from the pictures.

Seems like I've posted about this pair somewhere.  I forget.

Can't tell from that angle

I contacted the seller yesterday. Very slow to respond, now I haven’t heard back from them since 3pm yesterday after I asked a few more questions. I noticed something going on with one of the woofers. Can anybody tell what that is? Also looks like they’ve been kept in a damp basement, could that cause detriment to the internals?

I believe I would have to lowball quite a bit more in front of the seller if I were really interested and point out all the issues.  It's a decent price but if you had to source drivers to replace something non functional, you'd be spending more than their asking price on the speakers.  Are they able to play them when you show up?  If not, I would go with some sort of small integrated amp and a source be it a phone with the right cable or a portable CD player.  If they need a ton of work and replacement parts, they just aren't worth it.  Sad someone doesn't take care of their stuff; those weren't cheap speakers when new.

32 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

I noticed something going on with one of the woofers. Can anybody tell what that is? Also looks like they’ve been kept in a damp basement, could that cause detriment to the internals?

I had to look close, but the left speaker top woof looks a little funky.  The entire cone is plastic all the way to the edge where the rubber surround is.  I'm not sure how they could be damaged.  Dinged maybe, but not damaged.

I couldn't tell where they've been stored based on looking at the pics.  I doubt that would affect the workings of the drivers.

The damage to the left speaker top cabinet looks like the front motor board and not the cherry veneer.  That whole front comes off with only six screws, very easy to get off for repair.    If you refurb both cabs you are into some light hand-sanding and about a week's worth of work.  Those things are dusty but I bet they would clean up very nicely.

Check to see if there are grills, I didn't see any in the picture.  If you need grills you will have to make some, they are not available on the used market that I've ever seen.

+++

Those are from 1995, version 2.  IMO the price is about right, the average price for those is close to $650 in good condition.  IMO the v1 in good condition are worth about $600, $500 for v2, $400 for v3.  Subtract another $100 for the lack of grills.  I put those in Condition D (like a report card ABCDF).

Agree with @avguytx I'd shoot him a lowball offer as they do need some work.  If you need a woofer I doubt you would find one on the used market.  You would have to find a non-oem replacement.  I think the CF-3's retailed for $2300 new.

Thanks wvu80, almost looks like something got stuck to the woofer and that’s the residue. I’m confused by your price difference in the ver 2. One line says $650 and the other says $500 for both being in good condition.  Oh and he did tell me he has grills.

Thanks 

24 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

Thanks wvu80, almost looks like something got stuck to the woofer and that’s the residue. I’m confused by your price difference in the ver 2. One line says $650 and the other says $500 for both being in good condition. 

I track prices in a spreadsheet.  The actual sales data says for all CF-3's in all conditions the overall average price is $628 before I add this speaker into the average.  Afterwards if I add this one to the average it drops to $606.  I have very few confirmed sales (ten) so the average sales price might not be as generalizeable as I might like but it should be close to fair market value, that is a price fair to both Buyer and Seller.  I show two v1 in Condition A which sold for $800, that is the top price.  Low price version 3 Cond Unknown was $400.

In my OPINION (not data based) CF-3 version 1 in good condition (A or B ) is worth about $600.  When I evaluate price for each lower Condition C or D) subtract $100.

Version 2 = $500

Version 3 = $400

In this particular case we have a CF-3 v2 in Condition D.  Start with Version 2 worth around $500 in Condition B, subtract $200 to reach an approximate value of $300.  I look at it from the perspective of the Buyer, not Seller.

And as always, just my humble opinion.  B)

just an fyi... that is not dust, looks to be some pretty heavy mold or mildew on the fronts & who knows what the insides are like.  definitely stored in a very damp basement or garage. 

$300 seems like a decent price for the condition, if they work. he says they sound good.  but he could have spent 2 minutes to at least wipe them down for pics.  could probably have got a lot more out of them. 

• Like 1