In Indy... Chorus II & Marantz 4400

314carpenter

3 hours ago, edzu1234 said:

No risers on the Chorus II.  

I find the risers give such a dated look and much prefer the neater and cleaner look of a Quartet Forte or Chorus all without risers up on a good four post stand placing the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level.

I don't have any pics of my speakers but here is essentially what a Forte without a riser will look on a nice four post stand, these are Harbeth M40 with twelve inch woofers and similar sized cabinet to a Forte.

Skylan Stands with Harbeth M40.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, Martin O'Neill said:

Looking for Chorus 2 what does the group think about the entire package?

Not familiar with this Marantz receiver?

My Heritage Prices spreadsheet says Chorus II's average $711 so the $800 is fair market value if they are in good shape.

I don't know anything about the sound or pricing of the Marantz, either new or used.

$800 is a good price in good shape. That is what I paid for my last set of Chorus I's in the Nashville area. I never get to buy and never sell for the "average prices" and maybe that is just for my area. Of course these were pristine and from the original owner from a good pet kid smoke free environment so they were not average quality either.I was lucky because this guys wife after all those years of ownership had decided they MUST GO. After having been in their house and seeing all the things she had I would have told her to shove it but that's me and not Mr Henpecked. Poor guy she literally was frantically helping push them into boxes and could not wait to see them leave. It was disgusting. I have never bought a set like this as cheap before and don't expect to do so again. Chorus II's? Last set I remember selling around here were from me and I had to pick them up just outside of Knoxville and they sold for $1,100 and the only work done on them was to recap the crossovers. I paid $800 for those but that was a couple of years ago and prices have gone up since then.  The trip was not free and I bought them only because there were others I was buying from that area too. Real cost is speakers + drive expenses + repairs if needed and generally they all need recapping when this old. I don't expect to see this all in a chart bit it is reality if you are the buyer. The real cost to acquire.

No opinion on the Marantz other than it is old and lacking in features many want today. I bought an Integra 50.4 refurb from Crutchfield last year for just over $500 and it has more channels more honest power and many more ways to interact with your speakers and amps and sources. I pass up all old stuff because I want to use my computer or a USB drive as the audio source.