DirtyErnie

* Piston Diameter = 260.4 mm
* f(s)= 37.68 Hz
* R(e)= 6.54 Ohms
* Z(max)= 43.48 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 4.569
* Q(es)= 0.808
* Q(ts)= 0.687
* V(as)= 129.400 liters (4.571 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 0.51 mH
* n(0)= 0.82 %
* SPL= 91.22 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 54.87 grams
* C(ms)= 0.33 mm/N

* BL= 10.25 

Xmax = unknown, but I'm sure there's plenty.  4 of these have been living in a Kustom cabinet I was gifted, loaded with the drivers.  I played many 2-4hour gigs on bass guitar before I made some ports out of black heavy paper.  700 watts at 8 ohms below cabinet resonance and I didn't ever hear any farting out noises.

So, what could these things possibly be used for?  all I can think of is building tapped horns between floor joists.  Properly calculated ported box for 1 driver = 23.3 cubic feet.  Wife Acceptance Factor = 0, so it doesn't matter that it would tune at 23Hz and -3dB is at 16.7.

2 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:
* Piston Diameter = 260.4 mm
* f(s)= 37.68 Hz
* R(e)= 6.54 Ohms
* Z(max)= 43.48 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 4.569
* Q(es)= 0.808
* Q(ts)= 0.687
* V(as)= 129.400 liters (4.571 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 0.51 mH
* n(0)= 0.82 %
* SPL= 91.22 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 54.87 grams
* C(ms)= 0.33 mm/N

* BL= 10.25 

Xmax = unknown, but I'm sure there's plenty.  4 of these have been living in a Kustom cabinet I was gifted, loaded with the drivers.  I played many 2-4hour gigs on bass guitar before I made some ports out of black heavy paper.  700 watts at 8 ohms below cabinet resonance and I didn't ever hear any farting out noises.

So, what could these things possibly be used for?  all I can think of is building tapped horns between floor joists.  Properly calculated ported box for 1 driver = 23.3 cubic feet.  Wife Acceptance Factor = 0, so it doesn't matter that it would tune at 23Hz and -3dB is at 16.7.

easy way to get a very good idea of a drivers linear travel capability (peak to peak) is to measure the thickness of the top plate of the motor assembly.  Take one third of the thickness and that is more or less (a little more) is you linear travel capability of any driver.

Seismic Audio Earthshaker. Allegedly a stronger motor version of their Richter model. Infinite baffle into the basement has crossed my mind. (Attic it's right out, there's a good 2' of fiberglass and blow-in insulation up there).

Speakers in the cream Fender clone are Carvin PS12B, some kind of Eminence re-branded. Beta, I think.

Let's riff on 'open baffle' vs 'infinite baffle' for a minute.  any real appreciable difference?  

Maybe it's my perspective, when I think 'Open baffle' I'm thinking of a board with a speaker in the middle of it, usually reserved for Lowthers or somesuch.

"Infinite Baffle" makes me think of what JohnA posted.

Edited by DirtyErnie

51 minutes ago, DirtyErnie said:

Let's riff on 'open baffle' vs 'infinite baffle' for a minute.  any real appreciable difference? 

As far as the driver is concerned, no difference. The Qtc of the system is the same as the Qts of the driver.

As far as the room is concerned, big difference. With an open baffle the rear wave can cancel the front wave at some frequencies and polar angles. With an infinite baffle the rear wave is separated from the front wave and no cancellation can occur.

• Thanks 1

Since you have an even number of drivers

1. a pair of 2 driver H-frames (with one driver facing in and the other facing out)
  2. a pair of linkwitz W-baffles
  3. a single Slot loaded Open Baffle,
  4. one or two Push-pull slot loaded (PPSL)  ported / sealed subs depending on what they model well as
  • Like 1