RF-7iii or RP-8000F for Small Room?

gMendezpe

I am in the process of upgrading all my equipment after a home remodel. I have been quite happy with my RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3 5.1 setup since 2001, but it's time for an overhaul. I am considering the RF-7iii or RP-8000F L/R setup for my main channels (complimentary center channel, of course). I'm concerned that my room is potentially a bit too small for the RF-7iiis and would like to ask for your opinions on which you feel might be the best fit & why. My room is 12' wide, with no rear wall (open to kitchen..I know, I know. cant; be helped), with 8' ceilings. Seating position is roughly 10' from the front and is a small sofa (typically just my wife and I enjoying movies/music). I'll be utilizing a pair of HSU VTF-15h Mk2 subs (monsters) for the LFE and CDT-5800cii for my in-ceiling ATMOS channels. Unfortunately, the seating position is flanked by doors on either side, so my side surround channels (RP-500SA) are mounted just above the dooways. Any input is welcomed!! Thanks in advance.

Edited by gMendezpe

I have 4 pair of original RF-7’s and a pair of RF-7II that I’m very happy with. I have not heard the RF-7III yet. I really wasn’t happy that they went back to the cheap looking fronts. I’m sure the RF-7III’s sound great but I’m disappointed in the design. 

Just yesterday I was in Best Buy magnolia and saw the new RP8000’s. Mine doesn’t carry the RF-7III. I didn’t get a chance to listen to them but they looked amazing. The piano finish looked incredible in person. If they offered the same finish in RF-7III I’d already have a pair. 

I did have the RP160’s and really liked the new horn. If I were you I’d try to listen to the 8000’s. There’s some dealers that would make you a killer deal on them. I bet they sound great and would save you quite a bit of cash. Sounds like you’ve got the bass covered. Especially if you’re doing mostly home theater. If you’re going to do more music, maybe the RF-7III would be worth the extra money. 

10 hours ago, W27 said:

I really wasn’t happy that they went back to the cheap looking fronts. I’m sure the RF-7III’s sound great but I’m disappointed in the design. 

I too was not real pleased with that decision but after seeing and hearing a pair at Youthman's house, the look grew on me.  Much better looking in person IMO.

Bill

14 hours ago, willland said:

I too was not real pleased with that decision but after seeing and hearing a pair at Youthman's house, the look grew on me.  Much better looking in person IMO.

Bill

Did you get to compare them to the RF7 II? I’m sure they sound great. It just makes no sense that they offer a piano finish in a model that costs half as much. My home is very modern, that’s the reason I don’t have a heritage home theater. 

7 hours ago, W27 said:

Did you get to compare them to the RF7 II? I’m sure they sound great.

We did an RF-7 vs RF-7II vs RF-7II(DeanG) vs RF-7III.  Not real controlled or scientific but still a comparison.  We all thought the RF-7III did perform "best" and was more balanced but it was not a runaway.  Kind of like comparing a Chevy Corvette Z06 vs Dodge Viper vs Ferrari 458 vs Porsche 911.

7 hours ago, W27 said:

It just makes no sense that they offer a piano finish in a model that costs half as much.

Piano finishes are pretty popular today so I too think it should be offered with the RF-7III.

Bill

• Like 1