Veneer surface order

rplace

1 hour ago, rplace said:

If I was going to veneer a speaker cabinet on 3 sides and the front what would be the proper order below where 1-4 is the front "edge" of the box and 5,6,7 are the top and two sides.

Veneer.JPG.bbf3a1df99139c32577de4676bf90437.JPG

What are the dimensions of your speaker, and what size veneer sheets are available?

https://www.oakwoodveneer.com/video.html

If a picture is worth a thousand words, than a video must be a million. Confused on which veneer backer to choose or what kind of glue? Check out our latest webisodes below. These are great videos to learn the basics of veneering. Many of your questions can be answered by watching a few short minutes of the videos. Once you have the basics, shop for your wood veneer and start on your project. For more videos, subscribe to our YouTube page:

YouTube page:

• Like 1

They will be three boxes all  H-Frames (no backs) driver mounted midway on the center plane between a roughly 20 inch cube.  I plan to have grill cloth so you are not looking into 3 empty boxes. 1,2,3,4 are the edges of the top, bottom and L/R sides. I don't plan to veneer the bottoms. I've considered doing the front edges in one piece but since I have 3 of them that wastes/costs quite a bit....still might do it but exploring options. I've not bought the veneer yet so width/length will be what makes the most sense.

Below is a quick Internet grab of an H-Frame for reference

10.jpg

On 12/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, rplace said:

If I was going to veneer a speaker cabinet on 3 sides and the front what would be the proper order..........

My experience is limited to veneering my Cornwalls earlier this year.

What I learned was, apply edge banding first, and the top panel last. The rest of the panels can be applied in any sequence.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I've veenered several boxes :D  Here is my procedure ...

Bottom first, then sides, then top (that way the "edges" will NOT be on top, etc.) Make sure you "match" the veneer sides to top, etc.

Next do the front trim (will cover the front "edges") ... any order, but cut the corners at 45 degrees.  I use edge banding for this.  cut pieces a little longer; adhere "close" the the edges, then cut through BOTH veneer layers (haha, carefully and at the correct angle).  Remove cut pieces and adhere the strips.  Sand the veneer with 220/400 grit; apply Danish oil several times.  (I use 800 grit sandpaper to apply the 3rd/4th coat ... then a couple more coats.) 

Note; last boxes I did turned out shiny AND dull in spots ... did not sand it smooth enough ... had to sand it again :( )

Good luck :D 

Cheers, Emile

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

Add-on ... I use wood on wood veneer ... cut the veneer piece to size (about 1/2 to 1" too large) ... apply contact cement to the veneer and let dry ... apply contact cement to both veneer and box side ... let dry, then attach ... use a small piece of wood (say 3-4") with a rounded edge and apply pressure :D  

• Like 1

@Emile

The only reason I applied the edge banding last was the banding I purchased had a very thick pre applied glue on the back side.

I did a test on a scrap to see what looked best.

When I applied the banding last, a very visible glue line appeared. When I applied the banding first, the veneer covered the glue line.

I do think if I used more heat and pressure when attaching the banding, I may have been able to thin the glue line.

But certainly, good results can be achieved either way. 

• Like 1