ATMOS 7.1.2 or 5.1.4

The Dude

As I wrap up my main level refresh, I want to get back on my basement finishing project.  Originally I was going to run a 7.1 system with side surrounds and rear surrounds.  However, the rear surrounds would have to be suspend from the ceiling ( I understand that this probably isn't ideal).  I can continue to go that route and run a Atmos 7.1.2 system or switch it up and run a 5.1.4 atmos system. What would you do and why?

• Moderators

I didn't hear a big difference going from 5.1 to 7.1 in my setup.  Now my rears aren't ideally placed as they had to be mounted higher, but I do have them angled down towards my listening position.

Dolby recommends going with 4 In-Ceiling as opposed to 2.

I feel a proper 5.1.4 would sound better than a 7.1.2.

I agree on the 5.1 to 7.1, only reason I was adding it was the ability to, same with front highs. 

Sounds like you saying get rid of the rear surrounds and go with 4 atmos speakers.  It will be a challenge for me to move the surround speakers to back corners, as rear is open to the bar. If I can come up with an easy solution, then all I have to do is relocate the front high and rear surround speaker wire to the atmos locations.   IF the heights of the surround speakers in the corner isn't an issue, I may have an Idea, but would need smaller surround speakers.

I know this has been asked before, but can I use any in celling speakers for atmos?

• 2 weeks later...

That is a tough question.  I have run a 5.1, 7.1 and now run a 7.1.4 setup.  I wish I had wired my room differently - to my knowledge Denon’s 8500 receiver offers the most discreet channels with 7.2.6 - they have Atmos above the side surrounds to complete the 6 channels used by Atmos.

I personally believe that the 5.1.4 channel will produce a better balanced sound.  Your rear surrounds will act like a height speaker since they are suspended - so why not take advantage of that angle and go with Atmos?  Depending on your receiver - the processing power should do a nice job of blending in the rear so it is as full and rich as possible.

Hope that helps - good luck with your build out!

• Like 1