RP-600M Tube amp

celestial_sound

Hello guys,

I just got a pair of Klipsch RP-600M bookshelfs today. Paired them with Marantz PM 7003/NA8005 i must say i'm impressed with the sound. However I've never owned a tube amp and would like to know how will they sound on a entry level budget friendly full valve or hybrid amp. 

Do you have any suggestions for a tube amp under 600$

Choosing a tube amp can be a daunting task as there are many issues to consider.  So, let's start with some basic questions:  1) how loudly do you listen, and what type of music do you enjoy?"  2) what is the size of your room, and where do you sit in relation to the speakers? 3) does the room contain lots of furniture, or is it more minimalist?

Tube amps can utilize different circuits all of which can interact with speakers in a unique way.  What type of sound do you enjoy?  Do you like it to be bright and piercing, or very smooth and "laid back?"  Synergy between a tube amp and speaker can be very important, so narrowing down the possibilities is worth doing.

Where are you located?  There's no substitute for actually hearing your own system powered by a tube amp.  Perhaps someone is located nearby and can bring over something for you to audition.  In lieu of that, buying one from a dealer which offers a return option is worth considering.  

If you are even slightly technically inclined, and have a multimeter with a 20 volt (or lower) AC scale, it's easy to measure how much power you may require which can really narrow down the options.

And, it is very easy to obtain excellent results from a tube amp within your budget.

Maynard

Thanks for you replay Maynard!

1) I don't listen at very loud levels as i live in an apartment . I listen mostly to Rock, Blues, Fusion and Contemporary Jazz.

2) The size of the room is roughly 35-40 square meters. My sweet place is in front of the speakers forming almost equilateral triangle with 2.75m side.

3) The room contains a lot of furniture but many smooth surfaces are also there. Here are some photos of my apartment link. The speakers on the images are Infinity's which are now replaced by the Klipsch's. 

4) I prefer warmer and smooth sound but not too much laid back. I know that Klipsch speakers are known to be opposite (bright and forward) but decided to give them a try as no other speaker can provide such a details, vocals and cymbals. 

5 )I'm located in South-East Europe and i don't have the opportunity to listen and return back

As i said, I really enjoy the current setup but i miss a bit of boost in the lower frequencies.

Thanks

From your description it doesn't seem that you will need much power given the efficiency of the speakers (I really like the appearance of your apartment!).  And, as a guess, I believe you will want to go with either single ended or push-pull pentodes.

See if there are any audio enthusiast clubs in your area.  If not, look into antique radio clubs (those exist all over Europe).  Not only are many of those folks very knowledgeable about tube electronics, you are likely to find many who are also tube audiophiles.  

Try to avoid making a purchase based on the recommendations of others.  That is often a road to disappointment as there's no way to know another person's taste in how a system sounds.  

Don't hesitate to post with questions as you go along.  And, try not to be in a rush.

Maynard  

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, celestial_sound said:

Helllo guys, I'm considering Taga HTA-700B hybrid amplifier for my 600s. My local dealer offers it for ~500$.

I've read many good reviews on the net but is anyone familiar with this brand? 

I'm not familiar with this brand. Not sure, but don't think it is sold in North America. From the review I read, it is the SE version with 12AX7 tubes that sounds best.

Review here: https://www.hifitoday.com/taga-harmony-hta-700b-v-2-hybrid-amplifier-bluetooth-usb-dac-review/

The efficient Klipsch speakers sound very nice with most tube amps.

Wb

1 hour ago, celestial_sound said:

Helllo guys, I'm considering Taga HTA-700B hybrid amplifier for my 600s. My local dealer offers it for ~500$.

I've read many good reviews on the net but is anyone familiar with this brand? 

Will the dealer allow you to return it if not satisfied?  That is very important in my opinion.  For a true tube experience, you really should consider one which does not use a solid state output stage. 

Maynard