Advice on a subwoofer(s)

DrSnooze

Hello there!

I just got a pair of RP-250F fronts to replace my old Paradigms that finally died. My current setup is a mish-mash of pieces, and I'm upgrading/updating a bit at a time.  I'm not a high-end audiophile, but I do appreciate a good setup.

I'm running a Denon X2400H receiver, and currently have the aforementioned RP-250F on the left and right.  I have my old Paradigm center channel and surrounds, which are still running fine for now.  I'll update them later as budget allows.  I've never owned a sub, because until a month ago I lived in an apartment and didn't want to annoy the neighbors. But now I have my own house, and it's time for a sub! Suggestions as to what I should pair with the RP-250F fronts?  I see the R120-SW is on sale now, is that worth picking up? Or should I be looking at dropping the extra cash on the R-110SW or the R-112SW?

• Like 1

Hi DrSnooze, welcome to the forum :D  

Just a couple of notes ...

Subwoofers WITH build-in amps do not seem to last very long ... avg for Klipsch seems to be about  5 yrs (very rough guess).

Therefore, suggest you get a passive one with an external amp.  I got a 15" sub  (kit) from partsexpress.com for about $300. (Easy build with some glue and a couple of clamps. If you want to get fancy you can veneer it :) ) Sounds like a $1000+ subwoofer. Got a barely used Dayton Audio SA1000 amp  off FleaBay for $200 (haha, 2 outputs in case you want to add a 2nd sub.)

But, just checked on the R-120SW ... Jeez; only $200 delivered. Almost a "no-brainer," even though it's not as good as the R-112SW ($500) or my subwoofer kit. Have fun ... haha  ... you can always upgrade later :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... are you sure you "need" a sub?  Your RP-250F's officially go down to 35Hz ... good enough for most music.  Or do you need the sub for "earthquake" movies?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! To answer a few questions:

1. The room is quite large. I don't have measurements, but it's a living room + kitchen area, and the ceilings are at least 20 feet up.

2. I definitely don't need a sub right now.  I'm pretty happy with how it sounds now, but I'll bet I'd be happier with a sub! And I figured with the sale, it might be a good time to pick one up.

• Thanks 1