No More Crack Fries

Davis

"While the name Crack Fries was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, drug addiction is not a joke," Mark Gray, CEO of BarFly Ventures, HopCat's parent company, said Monday in a Youtube video and blog post. "The drug crack has devastated many of the communities that we serve." 

Menus, signs and posters are being redesigned, with a yet-to-be announced name change in January. The more-than 11-year-old recipe for the beer-battered fries, with salt and pepper among a secret blend of seasonings, is to remain intact. 

40 minutes ago, Davis said:

"While the name Crack Fries was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, drug addiction is not a joke," Mark Gray, CEO of BarFly Ventures, HopCat's parent company, said Monday in a Youtube video and blog post. "The drug crack has devastated many of the communities that we serve." 

Menus, signs and posters are being redesigned, with a yet-to-be announced name change in January. The more-than 11-year-old recipe for the beer-battered fries, with salt and pepper among a secret blend of seasonings, is to remain intact. 

I'll have to find another dealer....

• Like 1

I have a son who’s ruined his life with drugs and I know too many families with similar tragedies. Being cavalier with drug analogies is offensive, personally for myself. Also I feel it lightloads drug use/abuse - and - ‘crack’ is among the worst drugs to become involved with. It was an irresponsible name to begin with. I hope that nobody ever has to see their child shriveled and wasted. Every drug zombie is a victim and every dealer is a murderer. Feel free to call me a ‘snowflake’.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I have a son who’s ruined his life with drugs and I know too many families with similar tragedies. Being cavalier with drug analogies is offensive, personally for myself. Also I feel it lightloads drug use/abuse - and - ‘crack’ is among the worst drugs to become involved with. It was an irresponsible name to begin with. I hope that nobody ever has to see their child shriveled and wasted. Every drug zombie is a victim and every dealer is a murderer. Feel free to call me a ‘snowflake’.

Truly sorry to hear that man.   I completely agree with your second to last sentence.   

• Like 1

Snowflake.  Crack is a phenomenon brought on by the federal government.  Yeah it's horrible alright.  The supporters of past regimes gloss over the fact of how it came to be.  Crack was not invented anywhere but in the USA, and the supply that made it possible was because of arms for money to buy arms for a "contra" cause which then became drugs for money to buy arms for the same cause which was in direct opposition to the will of the people who voted in a free election against these "contras."  So, a certain warped sense of humor can see the irony in calling a tasty product crack fries.  The point is that crack fries is not so much as an analogy for drugs as it is an analogy for something which is an unintended (or maybe not even cared about?) consequence of a policy which was morally wrong from its inception.

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The dealer is the murderer.

That's an odd way to look at it, kind of like how McDonald's makes people fat? Let me guess you support being able to sue gun manufacturers for gun violence? If a drunk driver crashes and kills some family on their way home from church should the car company be held liable? The beer company?

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Snowflake.  Crack is a phenomenon brought on by the federal government.  Yeah it's horrible alright.  The supporters of past regimes gloss over the fact of how it came to be.  Crack was not invented anywhere but in the USA, and the supply that made it possible was because of arms for money to buy arms for a "contra" cause which then became drugs for money to buy arms for the same cause which was in direct opposition to the will of the people who voted in a free election against these "contras."  So, a certain warped sense of humor can see the irony in calling a tasty product crack fries.  The point is that crack fries is not so much as an analogy for drugs as it is an analogy for something which is an unintended (or maybe not even cared about?) consequence of a policy which was morally wrong from its inception.

I seriously doubt if either group deployed your logic (right or wrong) in their decisions or their intentions. Bottom line: 😔 Wrong choices do not ever excuse more wrong choices. 

Just for your benefit let's see what the differences are.  McDonalds is a private corporation serving shitty food that is bad for you in certain quantities but is perfectly legal, and if consumed responsibly, (which to a rational mind means don't eat there) is not a public health threat.  The federal government flooding the country with drugs for whatever reason is a completely different story.

2 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I seriously doubt if either group deployed your logic (right or wrong) in their decisions or their intentions. Bottom line: 😔 Wrong choices do not ever excuse more wrong choices. 

Oh really?  My point was the feds (cia) didn't care.  Wrong choices I agree, but it starts somewhere.  Fries are not the problem, regardless of their name.

8 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

That's an odd way to look at it, kind of like how McDonald's makes people fat? Let me guess you support being able to sue gun manufacturers for gun violence? If a drunk driver crashes and kills some family on their way home from church should the car company be held liable? The beer company? 

And btw, the dealer is the murderer was not my quote.  Even if it has a ring of truth.