Klipsch RP-500SA placement in 5.1.2 Atmos setup

Esch30

I plan on mounting a pair of Klipsch RP-500SA speakers on the rear wall just beneath the HVAC soffit as Top Middle Atmos speakers.  The width of the rear wall is 12 ft.  However, due to a storage space at the front of the room, my soundstage is only 9.5 ft. wide and shifts my seating to the right side of the room.  In the attached picture, the center sofa seat is in line with the center of the TV.  The back of the sofa is 26" from the rear wall.  I realize that having Top Middle Atmos speakers mounted in this position isn't ideal, but I will not be installing speakers in the ceiling and I don't want to use speakers that reflect off the ceiling.

My question is where (how far apart) should the RP-500SA speakers be placed on the rear wall?

I originally thought of spacing them equidistant within the 9.5 ft. width (from the front soundstage) behind the sofa.  In other words, the TMR speaker would be about 3 ft. from the corner with the curtain and the TML speaker would be another ~3 ft. over from that.  I know Dolby recommends top middle speakers be in line with the front L/R speakers, but I'm afraid the TMR speaker would then be too much in the corner, nearly firing into the curtain.  The TMR/TML speakers would also not be inside the width of the surrounds as is recommended by Dolby.  At the same time, I don't want to have the overhead speakers too close together and lose any effect created by having them separated.

I have the Klipsch RP-402S surrounds off to the side instead of behind and to the side since the latter would likely place them too close to the "overhead" Atmos speakers on the back wall.  Also, with them being so close to the sofa, I figured a wide dispersion speaker would be best.  Would moving the L surround speaker farther from the sofa and placing it against the side wall be ill-advised?  I can't say I'm a fan of seeing the rear of that speaker when entering the room, but if each speaker being equidistant from the MLP is best, I'll leave the surrounds as they are.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0771.jpg

Your surrounds are in the recommended spot - to the side and facing in.

I'd center the sofa, move the L surround against the wall like the other one.  That way you have the right side of the sofa lined up with the tv and a nice armrest to lean on.  😁

On 12/13/2018 at 7:49 AM, wuzzzer said:

Your surrounds are in the recommended spot - to the side and facing in.

I'd center the sofa, move the L surround against the wall like the other one.  That way you have the right side of the sofa lined up with the tv and a nice armrest to lean on.  😁

That's an idea I've considered, but I will likely be getting a row of 3 theater seats w/ arms at some point.  I suppose I could also fit a row of 4... Hmm. 🤔

Regarding the placement and distance between the 500SA speakers, I did some additional research and came across a suggestion that top middle speakers should be placed 1/6 in from the side walls, assuming the seating is centered in the room (which mine is obviously not).  I took the 9.5 ft. width of my front sound stage and applied this rule to the side of the room that my seating is shifted towards.  The green tape is 1/6 in from the side walls and the yellow tape is 1/3 as I was originally planning on doing.  After seeing the tape on the wall, the green seems like it may be a better placement.  The speakers may be too close together at the yellow tape position.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the width of the atmos speakers?  I know Dolby recommends they be in line with the front L/R speakers, but with the lack of symmetry in my room, that would place them even farther apart than the green tape locations.

Thanks.

IMG_0775.jpg

I plan on mounting a pair of Klipsch RP-500SA speakers on the rear wall just beneath the HVAC soffit as Top Middle Atmos speakers.  The width of the rear wall is 12 ft.  However, due to a storage space at the front of the room, my soundstage is only 9.5 ft. wide and shifts my seating to the right side of the room.  In the attached picture, the center sofa seat is in line with the center of the TV.  The back of the sofa is 26" from the rear wall.  I realize that having Top Middle Atmos speakers mounted in this position isn't ideal, but I will not be installing speakers in the ceiling and I don't want to use speakers that reflect off the ceiling.

My question is where (how far apart) should the RP-500SA speakers be placed on the rear wall?

I originally thought of spacing them equidistant within the 9.5 ft. width (from the front soundstage) behind the sofa.  In other words, the TMR speaker would be about 3 ft. from the corner with the curtain and the TML speaker would be another ~3 ft. over from that.  I know Dolby recommends top middle speakers be in line with the front L/R speakers, but I'm afraid the TMR speaker would then be too much in the corner, nearly firing into the curtain.  The TMR/TML speakers would also not be inside the width of the surrounds as is recommended by Dolby.  At the same time, I don't want to have the overhead speakers too close together and lose any effect created by having them separated.

I have the Klipsch RP-402S surrounds off to the side instead of behind and to the side since the latter would likely place them too close to the "overhead" Atmos speakers on the back wall.  Also, with them being so close to the sofa, I figured a wide dispersion speaker would be best.  Would moving the L surround speaker farther from the sofa and placing it against the side wall be ill-advised?  I can't say I'm a fan of seeing the rear of that speaker when entering the room, but if each speaker being equidistant from the MLP is best, I'll leave the surrounds as they are.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
IMG_0771.thumb.jpg.e7f00a151c68b38ecfb3793d27c8413d.jpg
Hey,

By any chance do you know what's the frequency range for the RP-500SA ? How low do they go? Can they be crossed over at 80Hz ?

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk