RC-64lll with RP-8000f?

Iceberg62

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a dedicated theater in a 16x14 room. I wanted to know if anyone could give me any direction on this. Would using the RP800f's with the RC-64lll be a bad idea? Is the RC-64lll overkill in a room that size? Will it sound too different from the 8000's and defeat the purpose of going bigger on the center channel? I'm thinking the RF7-lll's would be overkill in my room, not to mention a couple of thousand dollars more. So my options are to step the center down to the RP-504C and go with the matching RP-8000f's. Steep up the towers from the 8000s to the RF7-lll's. Step them all up. Step them all down. Mix the big center with the smaller towers.

I"m also using dual SVS PB2000's for the record.

Any help is appreciated.

@Iceberg62,

Welcome to the forum.

10 hours ago, Iceberg62 said:

Would using the RP800f's with the RC-64lll be a bad idea?

Will it sound too different from the 8000's and defeat the purpose of going bigger on the center channel?

Not a bad idea at all but not perfectly ideal but I'll bet the tonal difference is very little.

I'm setting up a dedicated theater in a 16x14 room. I wanted to know if anyone could give me any direction on this.  Is the RC-64lll overkill in a room that size?

You will get this more often than none.  There is no such thing as overkill.

I'm thinking the RF7-lll's would be overkill in my room

Same applies here about the overkill thing.

not to mention a couple of thousand dollars more.

That there could might be a road block.

So my options are to step the center down to the RP-504C and go with the matching RP-8000f's.

Not a bad idea if the $$$ thing is an issue.

I"m also using dual SVS PB2000's for the record.

That there should easily make up for what the RP-8000F/RP-504C combo "might" be lacking in your room compared to the RF-7III/RC-64III combo.

Bill

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iceberg62 said:

I'm setting up a dedicated theater in a 16x14 room. I wanted to know if anyone could give me any direction on this.

Would using the RP800f's with the RC-64lll be a bad idea? Is the RC-64lll overkill in a room that size?

Will it sound too different from the 8000's and defeat the purpose of going bigger on the center channel?

Welcome to the Klipsch forums. I agree with the expert analysis by @willland  directly upstream ^^^.  I can't add anything better to his opinion so I'll give you the perspective from my room.

+++

I have a converted bedroom for my Mancave.  The long wall with the computer screen and RC-64 III is 12', 10' behind me.

The L/R are CF-4's, dual 12" woofers at 108 pounds each and an RC-64 III.  (ignore the top speaker, it's DIY experiment)  Powered by Onkyo 717 7.2 AVR as a pre-pro with an Emotiva XPA-5, 250 wpc using three channels.  Subs are dual 15" Umax and Inuke 3000dsp.  Final setup is 3.2.

Image00002.thumb.jpg.0b0d2c7293f1ec9f1dcf082d47f4c60c.jpg

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

Something as good as the RC-64 III is not needed for a room (my room) that small but what you get is incredibly clear vocals and dialog.  When you turn it up the coherence of the sound is exactly the same.  I've used other centers that sound good at low to medium SPL but as the volume gets turned up the sound gets compressed, the bass starts to distort and the high doesn't go high, everything is out of balance.  The RC-64 III sounds clear and is balanced at all listening levels

Everything in the Mancave is overkill and yet I enjoy every note that comes out of them at TV listening levels and at higher SPL's while listening to music.

I would encourage you to get the best center you can afford, in this case the RC-64 III.

The RP-800F is a good choice especially considering you have dual SVS subs.  I'm not sure what you would gain with RF-7 III's at that higher price point.  For much less money and a dang good L/R you might check with our favorite Klipsch dealer Cory aka @MetropolisLakeOutfitters.  His (low) prices and excellent service is golden around here.

Because the L/R and Center play different content there will not be an issue with "timbre matching."  A high quality center goes good with everything.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies and opinions. 

I don’t have room for another 8000 in the middle. I really wanted to use an AT screen and go that route but it makes the room too short to put two rows of seats. 

Lol. These are the biggest problems I have in my life right now... 

Edited by Iceberg62
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceberg62 said:

I don’t have room for another 8000 in the middle. I really wanted to use an AT screen and go that route but it makes the room too short to put two rows of seats. 

What video will you go for?  The 75" TV's are ridiculously cheap these days.

A 75" is considered the right size for 10 feet back.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

1 hour ago, Iceberg62 said:

Lol. These are the biggest problems I have in my life right now... 

Life is good!  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

I will be using a projector and probably 120” screen. I just put a 75” Samsung Q6 in the living room. I dig it. We had a full theater with all Martin Logan stuff in our old house in a room that I spent a lot of time building. I just never felt the MartinLogans and the dual SB2000s made up for their price tag. Long story but I left all of that stuff in the house because the cabinet I built was built specifically for the SLM XL on walls and the subs. So now we want something similar but I fell in love with the RF7-llls and I’m trying to talk myself out of buying them...but I still think Klipsch is the way I want to go. 

I just had way more time when I built all of the stuff in my last house. Now I have two kids and zero time so I’m trying to do it right the first time. 

Here are some pics of the last room. I designed and built the cabinets in the playroom as well as the barn door and chalkboard wall. Behind the barn door is the media room where I built the cabinets and screen surround as well as gutted the closet and built av racks and vented the closet. 

For the record, that room was 17.5'x14.5'. The room in the new house is 16.5"x14.5'. The plan in the new room is to do theater seating which should make it look less cramped than that room looked at the front. 

Makes me miss that house house a little...

efq5hj.jpg

16l0go7.jpg

xoqjxv.jpg

Edited by Iceberg62
  • Like 3

I have the 8000f/504c combo and I'm overly impressed. The soundstage is wide and seamless. I love how clear everything is at low levels and high. My room is about the same as yours with 12 ft ceilings in an open floorplan. I get great sound filling everything. What are you going to use to power them? I have a Sony 1080 that I'm going to replace soon. I think at 5ch output is about 70 Watts. 2ch is around 100w. It's plenty of power but I want to give them more

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I haven't decided on power. I was thinking about a 7ch Monoprice Monolith or just rolling with a new AVR and seeing if that did the trick. I had a Denon AVR-x4100 that I liked but I"m not in love with any one brand. I was thinking something similar? I figured if the 4100 could drive the Martin Logan 50xt, SLM XL (x2), ElectroMotion IC (x2), and FX surrounds (x2), then the newer version should be sufficient for a more efficient Klipsch setup. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I had the ML 60XT and if you were happy with the sound levels the Denon 4100 produced, in a similarly sized room, I would start with a high quality receiver and add an amp down the road if you feel the need. This is a highly debated topic though. Many here say adding an amp made a “night and day difference” and some say “ couldn’t hear a difference so I returned the amp”. You will need to be your own judge. 

Many people have nothing but good things to say about buying refurbished receivers, since it is nearly impossible to keep up with the latest and greatest technology. The links below are to company I have bought some rather high end, refurbished, receivers from with zero issues.

Here are are a few that stick out to me but you should go through the features and see which one would meet your budget and needs the best:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4400h/denon-avr-x4400h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionsclx801/pioneer-elite-sc-lx801-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7012/marantz-sr7012-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

I would probably buy a 3 or 5 channel amplifier, to the augment the receiver, if you are planning on running 7 + speakers. The actual power these modern put out, starts to decline when you they are driving more than 2 speakers. If the new receiver says 140w/channel, it is probably putting out something like 50w/channel, when it’s driving 5 + speakers. Luckily, Klipsch speakers are pretty sensitive so that is why I recommend you trying a receiver first, and adding a power amp, if you feel you are lacking. 

To be honest, I would probably sell those PB-2000 subwoofers and use the sale proceeds and the amplifier budget and get yourself a couple big hitting subs, like the Monolith 15. I owned dual SB-2000’s at one point in time but my single Rythmik FV15HP easily out-paced them. For demanding movie soundtracks, it  would probably take 2 + PB-2000’s to equal the output of a single Monolith 15. 

It would be worth trying the PB-2000 in the room first and if they make you smile, keep them. The PB-2000 is a wonderful sub in smaller rooms and really shines with music but I felt them lacking with the really deep stuff. 

Center channel and subwoofers are the most important speakers to invest in. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...