Chinese Playing ***-for-Tat

Jeff Matthews

31 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

{EDIT: BTW, who funded that video piece?} 

That is Chris, the guy who does China Uncensored.  He was hit pretty hard by the fairly recent actions of Youtube to de-monitize content creators who posted controversial content so he started a second channel, America Uncensored.  America Uncensored usually does not address China related issues.

Politically he is not left or right leaning, although I would put him as leaning towards the left.  He is more of a critic of the Chinese government and their human rights abuses more than anything.

AFAIK the videos are funded by Youtube ads, and he has a Patreon page.

Just now, oldtimer said:

So that makes him "left.?"  LMAO so the "right " just doesn't care?

I didn't say that video made him left leaning.  My opinion of his political leanings and the topic in the Youtube vid link I posted are not related.

Chris is a heavy critic of China, it's policies, the Chinese government and its human rights abuses.  That's his angle, not American politics except as it is topical, as it was in this particular case.

I posted that particular video because it was related to the thread topic and that information had come out just that afternoon and no one had commented on it yet.  The video does not state an opinion I necessarily share, it was just something I came across which was timely to the discussion.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yet you state he "leans left"---bullshit.

I've been watching China Uncensored for several years now so my opinion is NOT based on a single Youtube vid.  I only offered my impression because Zen asked how the video was funded, suggesting some political group may have funded it.  it's only my opinion, I certainly could be wrong.

My opinion is that Chris is politically very neutral and as I've reiterated several times his angle is criticism of China, not American politics.  If you disagree, that;s OK, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Let's tackle it this way.  What exactly makes you think he "leans left?"

I give you full credit, that's intelligent question, instead of just crying "bullshit" in every post which negates meaningful discussion.  That one I'll address, but I don't think you'll like the answer because it's a fuzzy answer, not concrete.

I've watched China Uncensored for years so I've seen hundreds of his videos.  I watch them because I feel I get education and entertainment at the same time, he address important issues the major media outlets don't.  I don't see Chris taking a stand on American politics because he was about the same person during the Obama administration and our current one and he is has been critical in his typical sardonic way of our government's response to human rights abuses.  He doesn't attack any president.

I said IF he leans either way it might be slightly left, but that makes him very solidly in the middle.    Few people are on the extremes of any bell curve on every subject, most of us are fluid.  I consider myself a fiscal conservative and socially liberal which means like most of us, you can't just label a person and expect that to be the dominant position on any given subject.

My opinion his his political leanings are ambivalent, and if I'm wrong that wouldn't surprise me.  Chris does a good job on his videos of bringing issues to the front without appearing openly left or right leaning.  All I know is I like his videos and I learn from them.

• Like 1

This is all put together much better than a Mexico city Soap Opera. We give and take to keep the humiliation at bay on any country that actually carries a bat to the plate.  Its like the last little bit of decency each country tosses to make the scene forgetable.  We will get some favorable trade numbers out of all of this, and you have to give our side a little credit for this push on China, which has been way past due.   Having said that, this is our way of getting back for the calcium islands that we really can't do much about, short of a major conflict.

11 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I give you full credit, that's intelligent question, instead of just crying "bullshit" in every post which negates meaningful discussion.  That one I'll address, but I don't think you'll like the answer because it's a fuzzy answer, not concrete.

Sorry about that.  We have to realize we have different communication styles, having grown up in different parts of the world.  Saying bullshit has always been a shorthanded way of asking, "please elaborate" in my neck of the woods.