Chinese Playing ***-for-Tat

Jeff Matthews

In many respects, America is, for better and for worse, heir to the intellectual revolution of seventeenth-century Europe. What characterized philosophy and science in the early modern period and represented a break from much of what went before is the concern to tailor theories to evidence, not to authority or tradition. Galileo, Descartes, Spinoza, Locke, Newton and others came up with explanations of the cosmos, of the world around them and of human nature and society not by appealing to what earlier thinkers (such as Plato and Aristotle) had said. Nor were they guided primarily by religious dogma. Rather, they took their lead from reason and experience. Whether they proceeded according to the logic of deduction or through the critical collection and analysis of data, what the modern scientific method they developed consists in is the testing of theories according to what reason allows and what empirical evidence supports. A rational person only believes what the evidence warrants him in believing; he does not merely accept things on faith; and when the evidence falsifies his beliefs, he abandons them. It is irrational — stupid — to hold onto beliefs when they are plainly contradicted by the evidence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are/were obsessed with Hillary;

Obsessed? No. She was the candidate I supported 2 years ago and haven't thought much about her since.

always referring to her as qualified

Yes I did. So evidently did a majority of Americans but that isn't what counts in our elections.

and denouncing the thought that there was even a hint of corruption with her, the DNC, FBI and IRS. 

I definitely didn't say those things because I know they're not true. She wasn't pure, the DNC screwed Bernie, and the FBI and IRS also aren't Divine institutions.

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I will continue to celebrate her loss for many years to come, possibly decades to come.... if I live that long. 

Okay. Fine. Then we have come full circle with you admitting you are obsessed with her. Given she isn't POTUSA and you are still bringing her up I suggest it's EXACTLY like saying "yo Mama" in this discussion. Fwiw, My "Mama" nor Hillary has anything to do with how our nation is being governed today.

• Haha 1