Converting a Hi-Fi Stereo Setup into a Hi-Fi Multichannel Setup

Chris A

On 12/22/2018 at 3:22 AM, Chris A said:

Continuing the discussion of "why multichannel over stereo only?" a bit further, there is another figure from Toole's book that highlights the complexities of violin directivity vs. frequency, which is in my view the foundational instrument of the symphony orchestra.  Note the extreme changes in directionality of the emerging sound vs. frequency.  I would also expect similar changes in directionality from a cello or double bass, with the viola being pretty much a carbon copy of the violin except that the frequencies noted in the figure below would be about half an octave lower.  This kind of figure informs the multichannel enthusiast as to why something like a Dolby Atmos configuration with height channels might have much greater potential to capture the reproduction experience of at least orchestral performances (assuming music-only recordings of orchestras in Atmos were widely available--which they currently aren't):

1004820893_Fig3.3Violindirectivityvsfreq.thumb.GIF.d1e1059980a6b617c312e291949d882f.GIF

Also think of acoustic guitar performances or certain wind instruments--such at the french horn (backwards directivity), clarinet (whose directivity moves around dramatically with frequency--like a violin), and flute, oboe, and bassoon.  When these instruments are playing in live performance in a good acoustic hall performance, the complexities of directionality of sound production have great potential of being substantially recreated by using multichannel recording and playback capabilities that stereo-only cannot even begin to reproduce. 

What fraction of written music already out there currently benefits from multichannel reproduction?  A large amount.

Chris

I would love to see some 5.1 music discs with Atmos or just height channels. I will have to check my Yamaha and see what it does with height channels once I get my 7 channels made.

37 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

I would love to see some 5.1 music discs with Atmos or just height channels. I will have to check my Yamaha and see what it does with height channels once I get my 7 channels made.

I am waiting for my AVR-4311ci to bite the dust before I get an Atmos AVR but really like what the Dolby PLIIz does with heights and rears in our setup given we have a high A-Frame ceiling in a smaller room (2,000 cu ft)...From what I gather is that the algorithm in the newer Dolby Surround is similar to the same effect with the current setup and would benefit with Atmos/ceiling speakers.....So far I'm cool with waiting  cuz I have other hobbies that cost money. :) 

• Like 1

I am waiting because I sold most of my equipment when we moved, and now I only have a small amount of money each month to use for my theater. I hope to have the speakers, crossovers, curtains, and room treatment done by the end of this year, and next year work on getting a 4k projector, and a new AVP.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1