Autism and Gut Flora - A New Study

Wolfbane

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Brilliant!  BTW, one reason it was virtually unknown earlier is because of misdiagnoses, and those children were separated from the rest of the "herd."

Not here when I was in school. The numbers of children suffering from this disorder has grown dramatically with the rise of processed food, anti-bacterial cleansers and kids no longer playing in the dirt. Co-incidence perhaps, but most processed foods contain ingredients that are extremely unfriendly to gut flora.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

The numbers of children suffering from this disorder has grown dramatically

How can we know that when even today kids go undiagnosed? Reminds me of the elderly lady that told my wife that sexual child abuse didn't happen in society when she was growing up. BS! :blink:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

How can we know that when even today kids go undiagnosed? Reminds me of the elderly lady that told my wife that sexual child abuse didn't happen in society when she was growing up. BS! :blink:

By the use of publicly available statistics and ongoing studies: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180426141604.htm

Wb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Not here when I was in school. The numbers of children suffering from this disorder has grown dramatically with the rise of processed food, anti-bacterial cleansers and kids no longer playing in the dirt. Co-incidence perhaps, but most processed foods contain ingredients that are extremely unfriendly to gut flora.

I agree those things are a problem.  What do you think accounts for those born of parents who were of an age to have not been subject to heavy doses of them?  In other words, how did we (societally speaking) become a nation of genetic defectives?  These children are born with the spectrum.  Is it because they are not able to develop proper gut bacteria in the womb?  I don't know the answer, you might have more insight than I do.  I just know that one particular family I am close to have children who with one exception display certain symptoms on a non-debilitating basis, and one who is a fully blown disabled mess.  And the parents were from the so-called "greatest generation."

Not to change the subject, but the food allergy thing is another bizarre blossoming of anti-survival.  Peanuts, for example.  Growing up, no one had peanut allergies.  It seems rampant now.  One study (although it is British) points to dry roasted as an inducement, due to the Maillard reaction.  However, seared steaks, pan fried dumplings, cookies, toasted marshmallows, biscuits and breads all undergo the same reaction.  Of course that then leads to the horrible anti-survival condition of gluten intolerance.   WTH is going on here?   Like you, I feel there are environmental factors at work.  Are there any studies showing a disparity between first world nations and others?  

As an aside---my ex-wife couldn't eat eggs.  I told her that made her disadvantaged as a member of the species.  Her response was it made her higher on the food chain, lol.  Luckily, our son has no such disabilities and can eat anything he wants.  And yes, I encouraged him to play in the dirt, explore the neighborhood, and never cooked (heated?) processed food for the table.

• Like 2

I agree it just didn't appear and in the old days it was swept under the rug and some were separated from the rest of the "herd".

But not to the extent of today.

Something is very wrong, The numbers are escalating in a non linear fashion to the population growth. 

These stats are alarming.

Prevalence of autism in U.S. children increased by 119.4 percent from 2000 (1 in 150) to 2010 (1 in 68). (CDC, 2014) Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability. (CDC, 2008)

Prevalence has increased by 6-15 percent each year from 2002 to 2010. (Based on biennial numbers from the CDC)

We are doing something to our children.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davis said:

I agree it just didn't appear and in the old days it was swept under the rug and some were separated from the rest of the "herd".

But not to the extent of today.

Something is very wrong, The numbers are escalating in a non linear fashion to the population growth. 

These stats are alarming.

Prevalence of autism in U.S. children increased by 119.4 percent from 2000 (1 in 150) to 2010 (1 in 68). (CDC, 2014) Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability. (CDC, 2008)

Prevalence has increased by 6-15 percent each year from 2002 to 2010. (Based on biennial numbers from the CDC)

We are doing something to our children.

Yes.  Or we have already done it to ourselves. Children are born with it.  A nation of genetic defectives.  I'm sure pollution has nothing to do with it.  2000 to 2010---so when were these parents born?  (70's to 80's?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I agree those things are a problem.  What do you think accounts for those born of parents who were of an age to have not been subject to heavy doses of them?  In other words, how did we (societally speaking) become a nation of genetic defectives?  These children are born with the spectrum.  Is it because they are not able to develop proper gut bacteria in the womb?  I don't know the answer, you might have more insight than I do.  I just know that one particular family I am close to have children who with one exception display certain symptoms on a non-debilitating basis, and one who is a fully blown disabled mess.  And the parents were from the so-called "greatest generation."

Re: Genetics': Probably a better question for my daughter Melissa (one of her undergrad degrees was in cellular, molecular and microbial biology and she did research work in genetics while an undergrad student). She's working now with childhood diseases full time and see lots of ASD kids through the entire spectrum which is extremely broad from mild issues to full-blown inability to function (including the ability to speak). I've emailed her the article above but I don't expect that we will have a good discussion about this until she comes home for 3 or 4 days for Xmas.

The theory of the gut flora research is that in some cases the mothers of such afflicted children are lacking themselves in certain bacterium and thus not passing them to their offspring directly or through breast milk.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

By the use of publicly available statistics and ongoing studies

That article discusses a % change over the last two years and no mention of gut flora? Isn't genetics the main player in this or has that thinking changed? Wasn't there also the belief that kids getting shots at an early age caused this? The disparity between boys and girls is huge, why? How much do we really know?

Interesting Case Western Reserve lecture from Cleveland Clinic on gut bacteria on PBS---They package up "crap" into a chocolate shake from a healthy donor and feed it into the mouth and stomach of someone who has "C-Dif" while under sedation and it totally cures "C-Dif' within one weeks time.

JJK

12 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

That article discusses a % change over the last two years and no mention of gut flora? Isn't genetics the main player in this or has that thinking changed? Wasn't there also the belief that kids getting shots at an early age caused this? The disparity between boys and girls is huge, why? How much do we really know?

The article you may want to read is this one from my 1st post (not the article on stats): https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2018/12/08/gut-bacteria-may-offer-a-treatment-for-autism

WRT factors, male vs. female incidence; there is also this one from the NIH, along the same lines as that briefly covered in the Economist: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5408485/

• 5 months later...

I’m surprised that no one has brought up glyphosate, dicamba, paraquat, 2, 4- D, forced vaccination, water fluoridation, acetone/ benzene and other toxic chemicals in dryer sheets, and other chemical horrors which have been banned in many other countries.  It seems that the more this stuff is banned elsewhere the more EPA raises the “safe” limits here.  

Maynard 

To this layman it does seem far far more prevalent than when I was young. As are allergies, as mentioned earlier. I remember asthma being quite rarely well, it is now common. Food allergies are off the charts. Something is happening.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

I’m surprised that no one has brought up glyphosate

Maynard, TV lawyers have only just started teaching us to sue for cancer due to "Roundup". Lord knows we've all used the stuff and if we live long enough, we're all gonna get cancer. There HAS to be a connection, right? Who knows if there is or isn't, but these attorneys are something.

What do pharmaceutical companies and attorneys in Alabama want me to know? I've learned these two points from TV the last 20 years:

1) I need drugs to survive, period. Don't even try to get over a headache or pollen allergy without the products from pharmaceuticals.

2) I should bring a lawsuit against anybody and everybody that has stepped on my your toes, no question about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1