RP-600M speaker of the year 2018 - cnet.com

wvu80

Steve Guttenberg is highly complimentary of the Klipsch RP-600M speakers at $550 which he as the Audiophiliac in cnet.com calls the "Speaker of the Year."

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klipsch-reference-premiere-600m-is-the-audiophiliac-speaker-of-the-year/

I don't know why he doesn't name the RP-600M in the title of his video.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Steve Guttenberg is highly complimentary of the Klipsch RP-600M speakers at $550 which he as the Audiophiliac in cnet.com calls the "Speaker of the Year."
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klipsch-reference-premiere-600m-is-the-audiophiliac-speaker-of-the-year/

I don't know why he doesn't name the RP-600M in the title of his video.

This fellow is not making a logical statement that I can follow.

He does seem to be saying he likes very much the Klipsch powered by by a lot of high end electronics.  Then he backtracks and says he is not suggesting that anyone do it.  Huh?  

There is praise for dynamics and microdynamics.  Just like PWK says about inner voices.  Yet he is not admitting that this is  phenomenon of the speaker.  

There is the implication that the Klipsch speaker and maybe others, benefit from high quality sources.  Okay, we knew that.

Note that his is using Pass equipment.  He does not credit Pappa though.

Is he saying that it takes $4000 to get a good source?  Not quite but that is the implication.  As if the cost of the electronics should match to cost of the speaker.   Please, please, I ask, find us some low cost electronics you can recommend.  I'd think anyone can cob together some triodes  and get excellent results.

It is revealing, and perhaps honest (so ya gotta like him) about the showroom ruse.  

WMcD

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, WMcD said:

This fellow is not making a logical statement that I can follow.

He does seem to be saying he likes very much the Klipsch powered by by a lot of high end electronics.  Then he backtracks and says he is not suggesting that anyone do it.  Huh?  

There is praise for dynamics and microdynamics.  Just like PWK says about inner voices.  Yet he is not admitting that this is  phenomenon of the speaker.  

There is the implication that the Klipsch speaker and maybe others, benefit from high quality sources.  Okay, we knew that.

Note that his is using Pass equipment.  He does not credit Pappa though.

Is he saying that it takes $4000 to get a good source?  Not quite but that is the implication.  As if the cost of the electronics should match to cost of the speaker.   Please, please, I ask, find us some low cost electronics you can recommend.  I'd think anyone can cob together some triodes  and get excellent results.

It is revealing, and perhaps honest (so ya gotta like him) about the showroom ruse.  

WMcD

This vid was a follow up of a vid he made " great sound system for $950 " where he does the RP-600M matched with a $400 NAD integrated, and goes on about how good it sounds.

Seems he did this kinda for shits n giggles hooking them up to $40K worth of gear. What I took away from it was that they sound great on $400 but sound better on high-end gear.

Basically saying yer not wasting your hi-end stuff hooking it up to these.

• Like 2

I have owned the RP280s.   The RP280s on my system sounded really good with 2 channel music and even better with movies.  I realize they are not the same as his reviewed speakers, but still the in RP series.  From what I have seen the Klipsch engineers do a pretty good job.  Right? 

If RP600M speakers sound anything like those then i can echo his sentiments.  RP series certainly deserves it due.     

I too have noticed that Guttenberg has been oddly singing praises of horns and Klipsch in particular over the past year. Which I think is strange because, let's face it, the guy has been in the game for 40 some-odd years, and he's just now discovering the joys of horns? 

Onto the subject of the video, I haven't heard them but I bet these RP-600s are killer speakers. I ran my Luxman L-509X integrated through my RP-150Ms recently while waiting for the new La Scala tweeters and they certainly punched far above their price point. Not in the same league as the La Scala IIs, but very detailed, dynamic, and smooth. I am sure the RP-600s are even more of a find. 

• Like 1

=== I do think we can become a bit jaded with “big” speakers. My stepson was enamoured with my big Klipsch but had nowhere near the space to accommodate anything near a LS or Jube so bought the RP160 and a Klipsch sub. Powered through a Mc amp/Aragon pre and mid level Denon CD it sounds really good. I actually find myself enjoying this much smaller rig, it sounds great.

As for his sudden fondness for horns, Gutenberg is probably angling for some Klipsch merch —

• Like 1

I bought mine RP600s week ago, although they are not full broke they already sound awesome. Incredible clarity and details especially with vocals.  They sound twice bigger then they are and have huge sound stage.  Bright or Harsh .. not in a moment, very good balanced highs. Seems like Klipsch made a winner speaker at this price range. I'm feeding them with Marantz pm7003 and NA 8005 - plenty of power 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I purchased an open box pair of RP-600m in Walnut on eBay during one of their 15% days. They arrived, the box was open, but everything else was brand new. I'm using them as a pair of monitors at my computer. So far, they are awesome. A SERIOUS upgrade in looks and detail over the RB-25s which I had prior.

• Like 3

Guttenberg just did it again on his Audiophiliac channel.  His post yesterday was a comparison of HIIIs and some B&Ws.  He started by complimenting the B&Ws for the many areas in which they bested the Heresies, but then turned the tables by praising the Heresies' dynamics to the skies and passionately declaring his love for them... not another glance at the B&Ws.  Probably a paradigm shift long in the making, as it is finally sinking in that it is okay to have---and acknowledge---a visceral rather than a merely analytical response to reproduced music.  Klipsches, in my experience, more often than not enable both.

The brilliant gourmet dinner scene from Babette's Feast comes to mind.  The puritanical locals are determined to partake out of kind courtesy while not allowing themselves to experience "sinful" pleasure... but then the wine kicks in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

I've listened to B&W and Klipsch.  I felt the B&W was silky smooth and delicate but lacking in overall clarity and openness... It was like taking a LaScala and throwing a heavy blanket over it.  YMMV

Sounds like it needs to be recapped.   No wait... That's a new speaker 🤔.   Oh yeah, that's why I'm on this forum.   

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 7:44 PM, richieb said:

As for his sudden fondness for horns, Gutenberg is probably angling for some Klipsch merch

I think you're spot on w/that statement.  Kids today are looking for something flashy and the horns do nothing but compliment the cabinets enhancing that "coolness" factor.  When they hear them they LOVE what they hear and buy them.   Naturally he's gonna suck up and try to weasel his way into a pair of jubes!  hahaha!!!

On 12/22/2018 at 5:36 PM, Dave1290 said:

I think you're spot on w/that statement.  Kids today are looking for something flashy and the horns do nothing but compliment the cabinets enhancing that "coolness" factor.  When they hear them they LOVE what they hear and buy them.   Naturally he's gonna suck up and try to weasel his way into a pair of jubes!  hahaha!!!

I don’t think he’s heard the Jubilees..... If he had, I am sure he would have something to say.... Hmmmm maybe that can be arranged!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a pair of these RP 600Ms 4 days ago and paired them up with a R-100SW along with a NAD C368, and all I can say is I haven't turned my television on once its like I am rediscovering my love for music all over again. (I had spent so many years in the Bose camp).I am letting the speakers settle in and experimenting with room/sub set up.

it is just so nice to hear all the instruments and voices in all their glory.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:16 PM, Kalifornian said:

I've listened to B&W and Klipsch.  I felt the B&W was silky smooth and delicate but lacking in overall clarity and openness... It was like taking a LaScala and throwing a heavy blanket over it.  YMMV

That is similar to my experience when auditioning B&W CM1 driven with modern Marantz. Finesse - yes, but not quite good enough for me.

Beautiful small speakers, not hard to drive despite their sensitivity rating, silky smooth but too bright sounding for my taste, a kind of artificial sound.

And not to mention 40% higher price than RP160s when I looked at them.