Walnut tweeter lenses

Dave A

I can't imagine there will be any discernible audio difference. This is as far as I am concerned purely for looks. Now I have to admit I do like them and they will be a better look for Black Walnut and Red Oak veneer speakers since I can match them at least for wood type appearance. The downside is durability and resistance to potential damage. I am going to make the screw holes deeper for the wood horns to resist pull out. If you ever strip these by doing the gorilla tightening thing there is probably not enough meat there for a helicoil repair. I am going to cut so wood grain is parallel to the long axis to resist splitting at the horn to cabinet screw holes. All in all I think the wood lenses will be plenty strong enough unless someone abuses them.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:24 PM, Dave A said:

I can't imagine there will be any discernible audio difference. This is as far as I am concerned purely for looks. Now I have to admit I do like them and they will be a better look for Black Walnut and Red Oak veneer speakers since I can match them at least for wood type appearance. The downside is durability and resistance to potential damage. I am going to make the screw holes deeper for the wood horns to resist pull out. If you ever strip these by doing the gorilla tightening thing there is probably not enough meat there for a helicoil repair. I am going to cut so wood grain is parallel to the long axis to resist splitting at the horn to cabinet screw holes. All in all I think the wood lenses will be plenty strong enough unless someone abuses them.

Let's face it. You practice "overkill" when it comes to building things...................not a bad philosophy............just sayin'

• 3 weeks later...

I was out in my shop today and this weird little dude showed up. He had a pointed hat with stars and moons on it and spoke a little strangely. So I let him ramble on for a bit and this thing appeared on my vice.

Funny how wood cuts. This Walnut is a charm and I can't get a single Red Oak one to cut without some splintering. I think the answer will be a down cutting end mill and not an up cutting if I can find one. These flanges where the screws to cabinet go are thicker than the aluminum ones and the tapped holes are a bit deeper for additional pull out strength. All in all I am very pleased with these and will be making them starting tomorrow.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I was out in my shop today and this weird little dude showed up. He had a pointed hat with stars and moons on it and spoke a little strangely. So I let him ramble on for a bit and this thing appeared on my vice.

Funny how wood cuts. This Walnut is a charm and I can't get a single Red Oak one to cut without some splintering. I think the answer will be a down cutting end mill and not an up cutting if I can find one. These flanges where the screws to cabinet go are thicker than the aluminum ones and the tapped holes are a bit deeper for additional pull out strength. All in all I am very pleased with these and will be making them starting tomorrow.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Beautiful Dave!   You have been turning out winner after winner.   Keep us all drooling buddy.  Strong work. 

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

^^^ These are a work of art ^^^

Wb

Here is one out of Red Oak which is e real problem child to cut well. Now I know why Klipsch veneer has so many little holes because it is just what Red Oak does. I have to figure out where to get some with closer grain or try another Oak altogether. I kind of like the overall appearance with the oak more.

oak 1.JPG

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, glens said:

Yep.  Red oak is better suited to pallets and trailer beds.  Definitely not furniture grade material.  Anything "white" is better for what you're doing, though those varieties will vary, too.  Have you tried cherry or apple?

My thought is to stay with wood used by Klipsch for veneer. I think part of the problem with this oak is it was grown in the Tennessee area. Growth rings are quite large here and things grow fast. The same tree from up north is denser and has a fine wood grain since growing conditions are not as good.The again there are different Red Oaks so I might just have to learn to judge wood better.  I am going to try White Oak also though and see if with stain it will match veneer too.

So what is the dispersion difference in this type versus what comes stock on the Crites CT-120 tweeters?  I'd love to have a pair of  these or  the  aluminum for my Belle's if there was a notable difference.  Sad thing would be, you'd not be able to see them behind the grills.

I like the walnut better, myself.  Definitely a solid wood to work with.

Okay.  Staying with veneers in use is a valid goal.  I was unaware they'd used red oak.  That invariably has to have the pores filled for finish work.  Not to say it can't look good but it's a lot of trouble.  And the pores are still visible, just not surface voids when filled.

Agree on the northern growth.  Shorter seasons...

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

So what is the dispersion difference in this type versus what comes stock on the Crites CT-120 tweeters?  I'd love to have a pair of  these or  the  aluminum for my Belle's if there was a notable difference.  Sad thing would be, you'd not be able to see them behind the grills.

I like the walnut better, myself.  Definitely a solid wood to work with.

PM sent.

1 hour ago, glens said:

Okay.  Staying with veneers in use is a valid goal.  I was unaware they'd used red oak.  That invariably has to have the pores filled for finish work.  Not to say it can't look good but it's a lot of trouble.  And the pores are still visible, just not surface voids when filled.

Agree on the northern growth.  Shorter seasons...

Well it looks like Red Oak to me with a coarser grain than the White Oak I am used to and yes pores.