Walnut tweeter lenses

Dave A

40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I put some stain on that prototype lens I posted about and it looked really good.

You posted a half hour ago.....  so.....you better be getting some updated pictures or your guilty of taunting & teasing us!

:emotion-21:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have some Black Locust stumps on my land I have been collecting thinking of what to do with besides feeding the wood furnace. Very tough and an interesting wood grain pattern with nice colors. There are some Hickory burls also which I might have a look at. I had been thinking of clocks for my wife to sell at craft shows but maybe tweeter lenses are a better idea. The Amish have sawmills nearby and there is interesting spalted wood there at times. My friend owns a sawmill and has the Amish run it so I have access to these things. The wood would have to sit for some time though and air dry unless I can find someone to kiln dry and that assumes I am going to do wood tweeters to begin with. I am getting more interested. I put some stain on that prototype lens I posted about and it looked really good.

I used to turn logs at a sawmill during the summers in Cheatam County. Rough cut some went to Bruce for hardwood flooring, the rest to tie yard for railroad cross ties.

Only local wood to avoid is poplar. It has to be dried with air gap to prevent turning black.

That locust is forever. Fence post material. A couple stumps will make dozens of horns.

The sawmill may have some nice material laying around the yard. It would be an added bonus to use locally sourced blanks for this product..

5 hours ago, larryk said:

Really nice work Dave.  I am curious if you have been able to compare the sound of the wooden horn with the aluminum horn.

Not yet (since I have yet to complete even one) but there should be no difference at all.The sectional thickness and rigidity of the wood horn will be sufficient to eliminate any resonance is what I believe and certainly far better than thin wall castings or plastic.

4 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

What are you planning on using them for?

Wb

I am probably going to cut a set for an upcoming Chorus I build I am considering because they look cool and I want to. Otherwise that would be it for me because I run all pro gear and nothing small enough to use the K-77 or K-79 type tweeters. 

On the other hand though I have been tinkering with my larger tweeter with the DE10 and the MCM 1900 and it sounds pretty darned good. The MTM tweeter assembly Klipsch put on there is 4 K-77's into a manifold and the total wattage they want going in there is 30. Now that means other tweeters that fit my larger MAHL's can be used since hitting 30 watts total is easy to do with single drivers and a more efficient one like the DE10 produces more db per watt allowable so by itself it can take the place of those four K-77's.

It seems strange to me that compared to the thunderous output of the mid and bass bins on the MCM that these MTM's can cut right through all that with low wattage and be so audible. I had to stick an L-Pad on there to tone the DE10 down. The MTM ***'y tests fine and has been recapped but you just don't hear much from it. There is a secondary crossover inside each one and I am not certain what it does but the sounds these tweeters of any flavor make change the whole picture in surprising ways.

Oh looky I have been censored! apparently the abbreviation of assembly is a BAD WORD.

• Thanks 1

Can you ... @Dave A explain to my wife why I now need to buy wooden tweeter lens from you shortly after purchasing the MAHL?

A set of the walnut lenses in my Super Heresy  (HWO) would be very nice indeed.

Keep up the T&T, it’s just fine to mess with us. If you can get a mid-range horn to work / balance for cost / effort, I predict a lot of orders.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:06 PM, MC39693 said:

Can you ... @Dave A explain to my wife why I now need to buy wooden tweeter lens from you shortly after purchasing the MAHL?

A set of the walnut lenses in my Super Heresy  (HWO) would be very nice indeed.

Keep up the T&T, it’s just fine to mess with us. If you can get a mid-range horn to work / balance for cost / effort, I predict a lot of orders.

Slow response time. Don't know how I overlooked this.

Simple you tell your wife it is for the second set of speakers you just bought.

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

I don't yet know that these are the cat's meow.....but they certainly seem to be the cat's whiskers!

My cat look's at me with a distinct message. while listening to my MAHL, then head's to the kitchen and wait's for a food bowl refill... which to me relates in a semispherical eliptical world as, I want more... but me too, I love thing's made out of wood... 

Edit: MAHL = Machined Aluminum Horn Lens so I propose … o O (HCBEMATOALAACAPTSWASOYCEHL) for Hand Carved Birds Eye Maple after turning on a Lathe and a CNC and Prestaining then Staining with a Sealer of your choice Elliptical Horn Lens  🤪

Edit#2 after coffee:  o O (CEWHL)

Edited by windashine
Merry Christmas
  • Haha 1