Walnut tweeter lenses

Dave A

Walnut's okay, I guess.  Around here in Indiana it's about like a weed tree.  Doesn't burn quite as well as some of the other hardwoods also plentifully available, but will still heat the house in a pinch.

I like those horns, by the way.  How'd you know they were inside that hunk of wood?

• Like 1

Sugar maple is the best all-around.  Easy to split (when forest-grown anyway), great heat/longevity, and next-to-no ash.

I always liked to have the wood split and stacked for at least six months prior to use for an indoor stove.  Green anything is okay (if not better) in an outdoor boiler, I guess.

When I was leaving work this morning https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/Loop/NatLoop.gif didn't reveal anything "all that" yet, and even now doesn't show much cause for concern.

9 hours ago, Panelhead said:

Well a very nice item was in the mailbox when I came home. The two unstained walnut K-77 horn lens. Slopped a coat of Howard Feed-N-Wax on one. 

Big, big shout out to Dave! Now I need to slop the other and install. 

01BC48DC-2E04-48DA-AD39-50F62DFFFDD5.jpeg

Damn, those are Purty!!

On 1/30/2019 at 10:09 AM, dtr20 said:

Mid-range horns next? Maybe tractrix horns with mumps? 😁

I am seriously considering the idea of mid range. No Mumps and not sure about final shape. Thinking of using 1" Baltic Birch from the drops I will have from my current SMWM project. Stack them and glue them and cut them.

My walnut lens showed up this week and they look great.  I put some Watco dark walnut Danish oil on them and they match up pretty well with the speakers.  I decided to set them on top of my Cornwalls and see what the effect would be of time aligning them.  It was a huge difference putting everything into better focus.  The walnut lens looks so good that I think it will look fine sitting on top of my speaker.  I need though to come up with a better mounting solution as right now they are sitting on a couple of business card boxes.1203796382_WalnutLens1.jpg.628cace6aa6b70ef93b4343fabed88f3.jpg166176621_WalnutLens2.jpg.0d958c285e484c1929e84a941fa2ea03.jpg

Walnut will change color over time. This is what makes it so hard to do veneer repairs since you have to stain or color the new Walnut to look like the old. I have read various things about doing this including using a UV lamp to get that kind of reddish tint color you see sometimes.