5.1.2 Speaker Placement with sofa against wall

rabinzx

I have a 21 x 14 room with sofa against the wall. A Samsung mu8000 65 on the other side of the wall.
Speakers: 
Klipsch: RF-62, RC-52, RS-42 for 5.1
SVS Prime Elevation for the 2 ceiling speakers.

I have hard time decide where to put the surround speakers. They are bipole speakers, so they can be placed directly towards the seating area without creating a hot spot.
In the attachment, I marked their location as option 1 and option 2.

I am trying to get some opinion from someone who experienced this problem before.

palyroom.png

Sofa_1.JPG

tv_1.JPG

Try them both ways!

If they are too close to you, the person nearest a given surround speaker may hear just that one, and not the other.

My hypothesis is that position 1 will be better, but there is nothing like trying both, with several movies of different types, and from all seats.

I love the multicolored plastic diffusers you have installed on the floor.

I have a very similar room layout including all the toys :) 

My layout mirrors option 2 but I'm using a set of RP-150Ms as the surrounds instead of dipoles. I try to hog the sweet spot most of the time but others concerns are right, people sitting close to those speakers get a very uneven experience.  If you have Audessy, MCACC, or equivalent make sure you run it to balance it out.  

Also, You may want to add a rug and some curtains to diffuse some of the sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

I run into another issue. If I mount it as option 1, the right of sofa is blocked by window. I have to mount below the windows, which makes it slightly below ear level.

If I mount as option 2, the left of sofa only has 9 inch which is a bit too small for diapole speaker.

20181224_140732.jpg

20181224_140755.jpg

• 1 year later...