CD to MP3 ripping at 320 bits

Hofy

What programs out there will rip CDs to MP3s at 320 bits? 160 just doesnt cut it. Thanks.c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

I'm not sure what you are talking about 160 not cutting it, but I think I might be able to send you creative dac. I don't know if it works with out an sblive though. This is easily has the most recording options I've ever seen. E-mail me if your interested

quote:

Originally posted by Btrigg:

I'm not sure what you are talking about 160 not cutting it, but I think I might be able to send you creative dac. I don't know if it works with out an sblive though. This is easily has the most recording options I've ever seen. E-mail me if your interested

For guys such as Hofy and I,(a little more pain on our faces due to age), 160 kbs just doesn't cut for most songs- especially the more complicated measures. ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my employers gave me the full ver. of Real Player, it will rip at 320k. Then I set up Cdex and used the Lame encoder to rip. I was trying to figure out the use of normalization and joint stereo when I ran across Monkey's Audio,

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

At this point I'm using Cdex to extract to .wav files then converting to .ape files. For play back I'm using WinAmp with the Monkey's Audio plug-in.

The guy's at Monkey's Audio forum say good things about Exact Audio Copy, Music Match Jukebox, Nero Burning ROM, and lame encoders to load MP3 cd's and MP3 players.

quote:

Originally posted by Hofy:

What programs out there will rip CDs to MP3s at 320 bits? 160 just doesnt cut it. Thanks.
c>

audigrabber is the best.

use the lame dll of which you will find latest at audiograbber web site.

or go with the radium hack of fraunhofer professional.

lame to me sounds better but audigrabber is the best ripper going for mp3's.

audiograbber

i am no fan of either of the full featured proggys as the ripping is done behind the scenes and i prefer to be able to control all aspects of it.

check it out

another vote for music match.i also have the lifetime version and after trying many players found it to be the best.excellent recording and library options and so easy to use.

do you guys really hear a difference between 160 and 320 for music?i have approx. 4.5 gigs of mp3 but there ripped at 128 since i only had 10gig hd when i started.now that i have my 45gig i think i can afford alittle more room if its really worth it.

hof, siren express will rip at 320. can with my AE.

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Thanks for all the info, guys. Looks like I will get Music Match since I have used it before.

I used the free version to rip some discs at 160 bit and it was like some of the music just wasnt there.

What I want to do is rip all my CDs to MP3. This isnt going to be easy with over 500 of them, but I am getting too lazy in my old age to get up and get the actual CD when I want tunes.

c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

do you guys really hear a difference between 160 and 320 for music?i have approx. 4.5 gigs of mp3 but there ripped at 128 since i only had 10gig hd when i started.now that i have my 45gig i think i can afford alittle more room if its really worth it.

In a couple of years, we'll laugh at the poor quality of 128's. It's just like anything else,continual improvement. I'm in the process of upgrading all my mp3's to 256 or 320kbs. BearShare is the NEW Napster! KEEP THE WEB FREE! ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you plan on reripping your cds, why not use a lossless recording instead of mp3 that discards some of the detail? If you have the room, make perfect copies of your cds so you don't have to do it again.

MMJB supports .ape files, Monkey's Audio is a lossless compression format. Music Match Jukebox supports and can rip to .ape files.

quote:

In a couple of years, we'll laugh at the poor quality of 128's.

people who know about audio and mp3's already do. i recently deleted all my mp3's (60 cd's worth) becaues i had ripped them at 160 using xing before. now i am re-ripping all of them using CDex at 192. i tested to see how the quality compared with cd quality by ripping to an mp3 then re-burning it back to a cd. i could not tell the difference at all, using my studio headphones.

Well, my jury is in with results.

320 kbps still isnt good enough. It still sounds kind of muddy to me. It is like there is still some kind of veil in the way.

rol1, I have tried Monkey's Audio. Works great. I get the .wav files down to about 60%. Now all I need are some really big F-ing hard drives. biggrin.gif

The Rocker, Thanks for the info on r3mix.net Lots of good stuff there. (BTW I am in my mid 30s, not 40s...yet. I guess that is still old to most of the mp3 crowd. smile.gif)c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Hi, no I'm not dead, just real busy.

Hofy, are you saying that .ape files are as good as .wav files, just 40% smaller? I've never thought mp3 was very good format, so I have all my stuff stored as .wav files. I'd love to gain an additional 40% of storage.

BTW, got my tbird to 950 stable. I know, it's old and slow now so stop laughing.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

Trust me I know how busy you are, K. You must try the Money's Audio. It includes the WinAmp plugin. A 35mb .wav comes out as a 24mb .apec>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

950 is great! I am still limping along on my Duron 650@850 LOL.c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com