CD to MP3 ripping at 320 bits

Hofy

Catknight,

Did you try selecting the joint stereo setting in Cdex? I didn't get that one figured out.

I think it has something to do with audio frames or something like ProLogic decoding. Something about preserving the differences for a rear channel and a center channel from the similarities? I didn't get it working to see what they meant.

That's when a lossless exact copy sounded easier.

I second that Cat Knight, if his mp3's sound muddy at 320kbps then he does have something wrong with his player/ encoder. Tests done with trained audiophiles found no one could consistently tell the difference between a good 256kbps mp3 and the original recording. Hey Hofy, you might not have a golden ear but a PLANTINUM one.eheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheehh!

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easy enough to rip a cd to wave then compress to MP3's of whatever rate and have a friend do the a b thing. Your ears and the Klipsch may be better than you thought.

Besides, it'd be a ***** to go thru and rerip everything and then find out that ambiophonics is cool and you need that discarded information.

http://www.ambiophonics.org/index.html#WhatIs

Wow, this is quite a debate we have going here!

I am still working my way through all the ripping programs and players. but I am still finding the .mp3 tracks lacking. Dont get me wrong, they do sound good. If I didnt have the original to compare them to I would be fine. Guess I do have a 'platinum ear'.

rol1, what you call ambiophonics is what I call psychoacoustics. It is sound that we can not really hear, but we 'feel'. This has been debated ever since the CD first came out.

Ray Garrison should be along anytime now to shed his wisdom. smile.gif

c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Hofy sent me a message asking me to comment on this thread...

I can't really say much - I don't listen to MP3 files, or for that matter anything other than CD, DVD, Vinyl, Telemedia's awful cable service, and DirectTV (mostly DMX and the NBA) over my main system (La Scalas and various electronics). I've never played any MP3's over this sytem, mostly because I haven't got anything hooked up to it that would play an MP3. I listen to the 2 channel PCM red book standard audio tracks on DVDs (no surround system), so I can't even comment on the effectiveness of the DVD's higher data rate audio codecs. Here at the office I have a pair of KG4 that I drive with an older Rotel integrated, but again I have a CD player hooked up, am not using the computer's audio out. I do have a gazillion MP3's on the PC, but I play those through the (don't laugh) harman/kardon HK195 "multimedia speaker system" that came with the computer, as the only thing I use the MP3 files for is listening to new stuff I've never heard before to see whether I like it before I go buy the CD.

However, in May and June of 2000 the English magazine Hi Fi News & Record Review had a two part feature article written by Keith Howard titled "LOSSY COMPRESSION" in which he compared all the then-available codecs at varying data rates. I'll dig it up and post some extracts here if you guys are curious about his findings. They don't seem to have the article archived on line anyplace I can find...

If you want to train your ear to hear what any of these codecs are going, by the way, try this: take an MP3 of something you think sounds good, convert it to a .WAV file, then convert that back to an MP3, then back to a WAV, and cycle it this way maybe six or seven times. Listen to the resulting MP3 - think you'll find it interesting.

Ray "Old Fart" Garrison

Thanks for the info, Ray.

But now I am really confused. Last night I ripped some stuff at 128 be accident. I took a listen just to see how bad it was. It sounded better than the stuff I was doing at 160 or 320! I compared it with the original .wav file and it sounded identical. I ripped a few more at 128 and they too sounded better. I have used both Music Match 6 and Real Player Juke box to do the ripping. both give me the same results.

c>

there's no need to be rude. he can say rock on all he wants to, so nah!

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by xbulgoogyx:

STOP SAYING ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those who have been on the bb for a while, they know this is my signature sign off. A trademark as it were. And also everyone knows, or at least alot know I have been ROCKING ON!!! long before you were even born! SO ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn straight rocker. i got your six man...

J

------------------

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

192MB Crucial PC100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I've been using soundforge 4.5 with the mp3 plug in for all my mp3 encoding to 320 kbs. It sounds okay 2 me, plus the fact that when you use the batch converter with it, you dont have to encode each song individually. Just set it up, sit back, and let the computer do it's job. It encodes kinda slow though... This program is also kinda pricy but it does the job and allows you to edit audio files of many types. Dont know how these files will sound to you though.... Just remember for all those out there that don't know... NEVER EVER decode an mp3 to a wav and then encode it back... this will degrade the sound (give you a WORSE sounding mp3)!!! For example.... dont decode a 128 kbs into a wav and then encode it to 320 kbs expecting it to be better... Do everyone in the mp3 world a favor and spread the word... keep these mp3 files clean... we all know what a bad file sounds like... it doesnt take a good ear to hear one...

quote:

It sounded better than the stuff I was doing at 160 or 320! I compared it with the original .wav file and it sounded identical. I ripped a few more at 128 and they too sounded better. I have used both Music Match 6 and Real Player Juke box to do the ripping. both give me the same results.

Well there's your problem. Real and Music Match suck bad. It's unlikely that the 128 rips sound better, unless maybe your cpu wasn't powerful enough to encode 160 and above on the fly, which might degrade the sound. Anyway, use CDex and only CDex, using the LAME encoder, high quality, 192 kbps (more is not necessary), and joint stereo. turn off on the fly encoding, and make sure you are using mpeg-1. also, set CDex's cpu time to "Highest" to help prevent jitters. this should give you cd quality mp3's.

catknight, why do you say more than 192 is not necessary. 256 and 320 don't make any difference?

J

------------------

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

512mb pc133 Viking

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply