CD to MP3 ripping at 320 bits

Hofy

rol1: Mp3s are not cd quality. There are lossless compression standards.

If you need to save space use mp3.

If you want cd quality use lossless. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

It really does work. Take a look.

Yes, monkey audio is the best one I have used so far. But my entire collection of CDs would require 150GB of drive space. That is alot of hard drive! biggrin.gif So now I will try CatKnight's suggestion of CDex and LAME. I hope I can get to it this weekend.

c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

today i ripped a CD using CDex at 256kb. i gave my roommate and some other people the blind test. they agreed that the mp3 and cd sounded exactly the same. also the speakers that i have now that i used for the blind test are way better than the promedia's. (i've had the v2-400 and the 4.1).

• Like 1

quote:

Originally posted by k27-R:

today i ripped a CD using CDex at 256kb. i gave my roommate and some other people the blind test. they agreed that the mp3s and cd sounded exactly the same. also the speakers that i have now (that i used for the blind test) are way better than the promedia's. (i've had the v2-400 and the 4.1).

• Like 1

Uhoh, CDex doesnt work too good in Windows 2000. I am going to be trying EAC (Exact Audio Copy) too.c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Le'see, I can make perfect, yes, perfect copies of cd's for 25 cents each, or I can do less.

It's reassuring to see EAC say no errors, and let monkey make 8 gig into 4.6 gig.

I know, it is cheaper to burn a cd, but files on a hard drive are durable.

the only way you could hear the distortions caused by encoding at 192 or higher is if you had a very expensive hi-fi system (i.e. several thousand dollar system). on klipsches or medium-high quality headphones you cannot hear the difference.

and mp3's ARE cd quality (relatively). if the mp3 is encoded well and you can't hear ANY distortions caused by encoding,then it is effectively cd quality.

CatKnight,

You've touched on a topic that I've become more and more concerned about.

MP3s are NOT anywhere close to "CD quality", assuming you're talking about well recorded, produced and mastered CDs, but you do need a sort of over the top system to hear enough of a difference to find it annoying.

On the typical first system that someone has, someone who's interested in music, just starting out in audio, and doesn't think it's sane to drop $$$ on a system, decently ripped MP3s and CDs are going to sound pretty much the same. This person is therefore going to collect a lot of MP3s over the course of time. Now, a few years down the road, this person has caught the audio bug and wants to upgrade their system. However, almost all the music they have is MP3 files. The better the system they listen to their music on, the WORSE it sounds. Why upgrade?

I had an eye opening experience with this with my nephew. He's 17. He downloads a LOT of MP3s, converts them and burns them onto CD/R disks, which he listens to on a portable CD player. The little $1.98 earphones that came with the player broke one day, so I lent him my Grado SR80 phones temporarily. He HATED them. He thought the phones sound AWFUL compared to his old headphones. The problem was that the Grado's were much higher resolution and wider bandwidth, and stuff that sounded indistinguishable from the original CD's on his old phones sounded a LOT worse through the better phones.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Ray

HAVEN'T YOU BEEN LISTENING?!?!

The guy at www.r3mix.net *USED* an over-the-top sound system to TEST the difference between mp3's and CD's! Do you know what he used? He used a $15,000 headphone system, the best in the world, the Sennheiser Orpheus, which is ROUGHLY EQUAL IN QUALITY TO A $100,000 SPEAKER SYSTEM.

If you DO the stuff he says, follow his methods in ripping, encoding, and playing (well, actually, he gives a link to the place that has the best mp3 software players...), you can get cd-quality mp3's! It's tough, but it's possible...

------------------

"Feh."

Gluegun,

I was using the Cdex with the Lame encoder to rip to 320 just for archive purposes. I knew that people are not suppose to hear differences in that quality, but I wanted the "Head Room".

Then I read the docs and found that the lame encoder can encode "normalized" in joint stereo format to preserve ProLogic info.

Then I found out I could have "lossless" Monkey's Audio(.ape) files at just a percentage increase in HD space compared to the best MP3 encoding with joint stereo settings.

The more I found out about Monkey's Audio the better it sounds.(intended) It normalizes on playback (kinder than lames'); Uses CRC checksums for integ of data; that you can cut and paste and copy and edit and mix all to your hearts content without degrading your quality; .ape files decode 10 times faster than MP3's with less cpu;

But;;;

..Since you do like MP3's, may I suggest you use EAC to make the best .wav file you can before encoding? EAC will let you go into any possible defect (pop, click, jitter artifact, etc....) let you review (play and listen to) then correct or write time codes to a file for review.

Then when you record your MP3's you don't encode those nasty scratches n'crap since it's so cool to have a 10 hour mix on one cd. I agree.

and Ray, I do have a few ?? new post??

Ray:

that is most certainly true with 128 and 160 kbps mp3's, but 192 mp3's or above encoded correctly with lame are indistinguishable from cd's. i have sony v-6 headphones (which many people regard as being more accurate and slightly better sounding then grados). if you have a hi-fi stereo system and the money to afford it you might as well just buy cd's and a cd changer.