Super Hersey Upgrade Day

captjoe

Going to document my upgrade to my 1984 Hersey I bought new while in the military overseas.

They have traveled the world and now finally I'm going to start my upgrade today.I will list parts and prices

as I finish up today. The cabinets are stripped down and ready to sand.I'm really excited and many thanks to

everyone here who spent many hours testing different components so I could be lazy and follow their recipe.LOL

Here I go..

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT

E-2 Crossover

K-53 Mid with K-701 Horns

K-77 M Tweeters

K-22 K woofer

NEW EQUIPMENT

Bob Crites

prices with shipping

1. Hersey Risers  50.00

2.E-2 Crossover 205.00

3. K-53 Diaphragms 88.00

E-Bay

prices with shipping

1.Eminence Kappalite 3012 HO Neodrive woofer ( Pair ) 379.98 

2.Klipsch K-77 EV T-35 MAHL with B & C DE120 Tweeters ( Pair ) 296.00

I will have around 850.00 into them when done and I'm happy with that.

Will part with the OEM K-22 pair, K-77 pair and E-2 Crossovers lisitng on E-bay.

original equipment 

old.jpg

Edited by captjoe
update
  • Like 2

It will be next weekend to try them out. I've been happy with them but they were set aside between house moves for about 18 months.

It took me 5 hours to sand the cabinets , spruce them up with some restoration treatment and get inside and install everything. All I have to do now 

is install the port which will be here next Friday.I got everything to fit right in and stuffed the cabinet and trimmed all wiring out. 

This is after 5 hours from start of project.

350941624_12-15-20181-15-54PM.png.13d403cbebe2126b624e71a39f95323d.png

Edited by captjoe
  • Like 1

I am partial to Birch with polyurethane on it too which is what these remind me of. I think the Birch has far more character than the Walnut veneer I have seen and I like the color better than Oak which looks nice but will never have the glow Birch seems to have.

+

@captjoe - where did you find the Kappa' 3012HO Neo's for that price?

Am about to start the same project on my 1981 Heresy's ... they're still the "HBR" finish - never been stained nor poly'd yet.

Me thinks the MAHL Horn needs to be tweaked a bit @Dave A ...  it needs Black Anodize treatment. Like the "Understated" look, not the brash, in your face, here I am kind of thing. I'm sure the sound will speak for itself.  Still need to get the MAHL's, but, you don't ship to Canada as per the ebay listing...   :(;)  

I have started putting a satin finish on these with scotch brite because it resists fingerprints showing up much better. The side benefit for all of you who want something besides any color of silver is that you clean these off with good solvent and they are prepared to hold paint far better than the machined surface was.

I  start offering black and then just like before when it was suggested to anodize all the hands went up for their colors but no one wants to pay to have just one anodized and I do not want a bunch of stuff sitting here for years before it sells because of the color.

2 hours ago, CoolCanuck said:

Still need to get the MAHL's, but, you don't ship to Canada as per the ebay listing...   :(;)  

Why would you want to go though EBay anyway? PM me and I will accommodate you.

Check your mid range driver out by the way. You probably have the soldered lug ones in there and they are the best.

Didn't intend to stir up the nest here...  sorry, that was not the intent.

It had only occurred to me that black MAHL's would look better behind the black grille.

That's what happens when one comes late to the party. Guess I missed a bit of that history. Thanks for filling me in.

I can anodize them myself ... or just paint them black. Having worked in the aircraft industry, the know how's there. ;)

Your scotchbriting  definitely makes the painting easier.

Dave, I know what you mean with stocking stuff on spec- been there myself. One can't afford to stock stuff on spec, nor keep them on the shelf.

Will send you a PM.  All of my speakers are soldered.

1 hour ago, CoolCanuck said:

All of my speakers are soldered

I am referring to just the mid range drivers, the K-55-V's. Your build date year puts them right in there when the soldered lug ones were used and those go for $300 a set on EBay.

No Hornets nest just explaining. Many people have no idea of the expense of trying to cater to every possible demand and so they ask why don't you do this too. You understand since you have been there but when the topic comes up again I explain it again since new people will be reading why I don't offer for the first time.

11 hours ago, CoolCanuck said:

@captjoe - where did you find the Kappa' 3012HO Neo's for that price?

Am about to start the same project on my 1981 Heresy's ... they're still the "HBR" finish - never been stained nor poly'd yet.

Me thinks the MAHL Horn needs to be tweaked a bit @Dave A ...  it needs Black Anodize treatment. Like the "Understated" look, not the brash, in your face, here I am kind of thing. I'm sure the sound will speak for itself.  Still need to get the MAHL's, but, you don't ship to Canada as per the ebay listing...   :(;)  

found them on e bay direct from parts-express but had to correct to 379.98 ..gave myself a 100.00 off .. must drink more coffee prior to posting

Edited by captjoe
update

12 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'll be anxious to hear your sonic impressions because it is quite nice to be right once in a while!

truth to be told I was following your thread and finally took the plunge..It was to be a Christmas present to myself to rebuild them.They honestly still sounded good to me.

At 59 yo I can't hear as well as I once did.. or I don't listen well.. well anyway I'm sure to be impressed.

I will give so feedback this next weekend when I get back home from work.

13 hours ago, Dave A said:

I am partial to Birch with polyurethane on it too which is what these remind me of. I think the Birch has far more character than the Walnut veneer I have seen and I like the color better than Oak which looks nice but will never have the glow Birch seems to have.

+

I really like them warm tone of the birch with a good spar vanish. I just sanded them with 220 to take a little of the top coats off and then uses Howard's restor- a - finish in Golden Oak to match. They turned off IMO quite good.

• 2 weeks later...