Super Hersey Upgrade Day

captjoe

• 1 year later...

HI people. Just getting back into setting up the stereo after 25 years. Yikes. Anyway, Going to pick up some used Hersey originals today. Been reading all the different fourm threads about the upgrades and have chosen to perform a few things after I test run these original  speakers for a week or so. All of the info from the super imaginative people on these fourms is great, but a bit difficult to grasp the specifics sometimes as so many side tracks happen within the post and the original questions dont get answered.

Planning all the items that Captjoe listed at the head of this posting as Iam looking for a similar musical feel as ClaudJ1 and others have seeked.

So my plan does not deviate too much except for my X over selection.

K-53 titanium Diaphragms ? or Crites  if replacing the mid diaphragms and going to Ti, do you also replace the midrange choke circuit? is that part of a new X over?

Eminence Kappalite 3012 HO Neodrive woofer

Klipsch K-77 EV T-35 MAHL with B & C DE120 Tweeters

as well as 4X4' rear sound port opening.

Iam sure the X overs will be toast .... So the gleeming question is Bob Crites factory style replacment (or I rebuild them myself) which Version is best with this combo of speakers)

or 

ALK, and which version of these would best suit this combo.

Great fourm by the way. Look forward to specific input. Thanks

Edited by roadworn

Congratulations on your "new" speakers. 

I will be a bit of a wet blanket and suggest something novel. .... Just get the speakers and enjoy them.

Then, if you feel the need, replace the crossover capacitors with some Solens (eg, from Parts Express).  This does not need to be expensive and the original cabinets will work just fine. 

There,  that was specific input. My work is done. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 8:05 PM, PrestonTom said:

Congratulations on your "new" speakers. 

I will be a bit of a wet blanket and suggest something novel. .... Just get the speakers and enjoy them.

Then, if you feel the need, replace the crossover capacitors with some Solens (eg, from Parts Express).  This does not need to be expensive and the original cabinets will work just fine. 

There,  that was specific input. My work is done. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

HAHA   of course you are right !   Yes that is my plan. Recived the speakers today and aside from a few veneer issues I will repair, they are in very nice condition for vintage 1977. Type E  X overs...The insides look like new, not a spec of dust, kind of amazing, made me smile. I love old stuff.

I will enjoy them for a month or so before I pass any judgement. My home is adobe plaster walls with brick floors, bass challenged for sure and I am trying to not sub woofer, just dont like them. Ultimatly these might not be the best match for this room, (maybe Fortes? cant fit cornwalls)  but they will get me listening again which is good!  Having said that , Iam  tinkerer and I would still enjoy responces and advice to my questions should I decide to travel down that road. Thanks!

finished speakers at bottom, got one set of crossovers rebuilt and had to leave town for a few weeks. Looking forward to getting the other set in . Also aquired a set of Forte ii's. Going to have at those aswell when I get home!

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7200.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

Edited by roadworn
added pict