Should I Buy an Amp For My New System?

suboost

6 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Yes but that is an older amp as well. Parasound and B&K are similar IMO.  I woudk give the knod to parasound.  Since you listen to a lot of music, why not get a better two channel amp, newer model or maybe even new from Cory?   Let your receive power everything else.   You could always give that a try?   If you weren't content, you could get a 3 channel for the remaining speakers.   You can level match using your receiver.   No big deal there.   I don't know what your budget or ultimate goal is.   I don't know how important movies VS music are to you. 

Also for a stereo amp what would you recommend the minimum wattage be per channel? I see a lot of highly reviewed amps that are only 40 or 50. I know that I don't need 200, but at the same time is 50 enough to push a large tower speaker?

No I don't think you will.  I'm sure someone might say otherwise, but there are people on this forum thay say you can't hear the difference between any Amplifier ever made.  I say, a Parasound A23 brand new from Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters will be a PERFECT match for those speakers and make them sound incredible in a pure direct mode bypassed to the amp.   I wouldn't feel the need to spend more on an amp given the cost of your entire system, I think it will fit right in.   

I’ve own quite a few multi-channel amplifiers over the years and I would be all over Monolith, if my B&K 200.7 S2 wasn’t glowing back at me. 

I also liked the multiple Emotiva, Parasound and Outlaw Audio amplifiers I used to own. The B&K gets the nod but there wasn’t a major difference between any of them. Probably couldn’t even tell unless you A/B tested them. 

When the B&K goes, and I move, Monolith would be my next addition. 

You might be over thinking this some but that isn’t intended to be insulting, more an observation from someone who has walked the path you are walking. 

1 minute ago, K5SS said:

I’ve own quite a few multi-channel amplifiers over the years and I would be all over Monolith, if my B&K 200.7 S2 wasn’t glowing back at me. 

I also liked the multiple Emotiva, Parasound and Outlaw Audio amplifiers I used to own. The B&K gets the nod but there wasn’t a major difference between any of them. Probably couldn’t even tell unless you A/B tested them. 

When the B&K goes, and I move, Monolith would be my next addition. 

You might be over thinking this some but that isn’t intended to be insulting, more an observation from someone who has walked the path you are walking. 

Haha yea I definitely tend to do that. This whole amp this is just new to me, so I don't want to buy something expensive and regret it. I've had probably 5 receivers over the years, but never a separate amp.

• Like 1

Hey guys, so I'm getting some awesome advice from Westcoastdrums, but instead of bothering him alone with all of my questions I thought I'd see if anyone has any opinions on these 3 units if I go with just 2 channel. I may also go with the Parasound A23 brand new since I can get a good deal on it. Thanks again for any advice you guys have. I'm going to go ahead and make a decision in the next few days.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649485150-nuprime-ida-8-integrated-amplifier/images/2094215/

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis99719-peachtree-audio-220-stereo-power-amplifier-peachtree220-cherry-15856-solid-state

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis99821-rogue-audio-sphinx-2-tube-hybrid-integrated-power-amp-silver-tube

Not a bother, don't worry.   Sent you a PM back on those units.  But publicly, as responded, if you want to go the integrated route, I say buy a unit that had a HT bypass.   Not sure what your future plans are, I think you said to upgrade speakers at some point.   I still say that A23, if not sold out will be a bargain, new with warranty (which it sounds like you may want) and you have room left in the proposed budget. That is a damn good amp IMO.   It paired well with the forte IIIs and Cornwall IIIs I had with headroom to spare.  I buy things that make sense for the $$$.   If deals can be had new, I don't ignore them myself.   Rather, they get my initial interest to compare to used.