K55m driver diaphragm replacement

mopardave

37 minutes ago, mopardave said:

When is a good time to replace the diaphragms in your k55m mid driver?    Mine are original 1982's.

I've never heard of anyone replacing the diaphragms unless they are completely non-working.  My suggestion is to leave them alone.

A better question is "how are your crossovers doing?"  Replacing capacitors after 20 years is common.  What XO's do you have?  If they are 1982 that should be the last year for the Type AA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I've never heard of anyone replacing the diaphragms unless they are completely non-working.  My suggestion is to leave them alone.

A better question is "how are your crossovers doing?"  Replacing capacitors after 20 years is common.  What XO's do you have?  If they are 1982 that should be the last year for the Type AA.

These are Heresys.  I nodded them to a Super Heresy using a B cross over  .    The cap on the mids are brand new, but I did reuse the Holland musicap on the tweeter which is no 18yrs old.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:48 AM, mopardave said:

Ok.  they work fine.  Just trying to get the best sound possible with them.

yeah if they work then no need to replace... an upgrade would be the new 55g's or other brand drivers. but if yours are indeed the 55v dual phase plug, they probably dont need an upgrade.  can you post a pic of the driver to confirm what it is?

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

yeah if they work then no need to replace... an upgrade would be the new 55g's or other brand drivers. but if yours are indeed the 55v dual phase plug, they probably dont need an upgrade.  can you post a pic of the driver to confirm what it is?

Not at the moment, but there is a pair on Ebay right now. K55m. 

the k55v dual phase plug are supposed to sound better than the common k55m.  the new a55g are supposed to be an upgrade but ive never heard them, they get great reviews.  post a pic of yours when you can & we can verify what they are.

4 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the k55v dual phase plug are supposed to sound better than the common k55m.  the new a55g are supposed to be an upgrade but ive never heard them, they get great reviews.  post a pic of yours when you can & we can verify what they are.

Ok

On 12/20/2018 at 2:34 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

Like PWK said in his "Dope from Hope" concerning the dual phase plug Atlas driver, "it make a prettier curve" but audibility may not be that obvious. THe EV version was dual phase plug, also, I think.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:23 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

i posted the pic below.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:03 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Like PWK said in his "Dope from Hope" concerning the dual phase plug Atlas driver, "it make a prettier curve" but audibility may not be that obvious. THe EV version was dual phase plug, also, I think.

i can see that being the case... just going by what many others say about the dual phase k55v drivers.  i owned 2 pairs of k-horns, one with the 55m & one 55v dual phase & to me the 55v did sound slightly "better" running on same gear, but the 55v had different x-overs than the 55m so no way to tell why the different sound. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

definitely a k55-m.  if its working properly theres no need to replace it... unless you want to upgrade of course!

After running over 100 curves on various horn/driver combinations over the years, the only way to improve on a K-55 is to go to a 2" driver/horn combination, which can barely be done on a Cornwall or similar older Klipsch speaker because of the cabinet depth limitation and near $1,000 cost. LaScalas and Khorns are another story however.............

14 minutes ago, ricktate said:

If you need new diaphragms ..which I dont think you do....call Bob he has them.

There are no diaphragms for the K-55M.   I have managed to modify K-55V diaphragms to work in a K-55M, but the procedure is not easy and I would not recommend doing that except in the case where you have a dead one and are trying to bring it back to life. 

Bob Crites

• Like 1