Electro-voice 15W's - replace or repair?

ranch

Hi... I have 2 EV Georgians and a Regency that I'd like to get up and running, but they all need woofer help. The Georgians have 15W's, one totally NG and one functioning but with an audibly rubbing voice coil, while the Regency has an EV15TRX that doesn't make a peep even though you don't hear any rubbing when moving the cone.

My impression is that it'd be more cost effective to replace (not taking into account what I'd have to come up with re: the TRX being a coax), but these original drivers when up to snuff seem to have many fans. I heard back from Bob Crites (very quickly!) and he wasn't sure if his woofer would be a good replacement or not, as at some point the impedance of EV15W's changed from 16ohm to 4ohm, so I'm going to email EV and see if they can date these and figure that out.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated. 👍✌️

EV15 backs.jpg

EV15 fronts.jpg

Edited by ranch
just adding pix for the heck of it...

Hello. Your question is complicated by the fact that you’re talking about Georgians rather than Klipschorns. Having said that, I can share a few points. First, those EV 15wk woofers were originally 4ohm, not 16ohm. Second, reconing these is extremely problematic as far as replicating original performance. Third, yes there is a performance difference between these early Alnico magnet monsters vs. say today’s klipsch k-33e, or the Crises cast woofer. (Yes, I’ve tested them all) the good news, bad news is this: you can successfully utilize a Crites cast woofer with a 6x13 slot, or 3x13 throat slot on the Klipschorns and Georgians. The bad news - particularly with the Georgian, is that you will need to address two crossover issues - first the reverse polarity utilized in the stock Georgian may be problematic with the Crites woofer in that application - and phasing is critical with those speakers. Second, the woofer inductor values will also need significant adjustment to approximate the original EV woofer performance and proper crossover point to the next driver.  Easiest path in my opinion is to simply install those correct 4ohm woofers you have - if there are no cone issues, and if so, those 60 year old woofers  will perform spectacularly. Second path would be to purchase two original EV 15wk woofers in excellent condition on eBay, and put your originals aside if they have cone issues. I would only move to an alternative woofer such as the Crites in this situation, if you have the willingness and ability to spend on crossover work and extensive testing to produce the proper handoff from the woofer and “midrange.”  Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, BeFuddledinMn said:

Hello. Your question is complicated by the fact that you’re talking about Georgians rather than Klipschorns. Having said that, I can share a few points. First, those EV 15wk woofers were originally 4ohm, not 16ohm. Second, reconing these is extremely problematic as far as replicating original performance. Third, yes there is a performance difference between these early Alnico magnet monsters vs. say today’s klipsch k-33e, or the Crises cast woofer. (Yes, I’ve tested them all) the good news, bad news is this: you can successfully utilize a Crites cast woofer with a 6x13 slot, or 3x13 throat slot on the Klipschorns and Georgians. The bad news - particularly with the Georgian, is that you will need to address two crossover issues - first the reverse polarity utilized in the stock Georgian may be problematic with the Crites woofer in that application - and phasing is critical with those speakers. Second, the woofer inductor values will also need significant adjustment to approximate the original EV woofer performance and proper crossover point to the next driver.  Easiest path in my opinion is to simply install those correct 4ohm woofers you have - if there are no cone issues, and if so, those 60 year old woofers  will perform spectacularly. Second path would be to purchase two original EV 15wk woofers in excellent condition on eBay, and put your originals aside if they have cone issues. I would only move to an alternative woofer such as the Crites in this situation, if you have the willingness and ability to spend on crossover work and extensive testing to produce the proper handoff from the woofer and “midrange.”  Hope that helps.

Not quite right. The 15W was a 16 ohm speaker, but PWK wanted an 8 ohm, so they were modified for that. The compression slot in the woofer chamber and horn made the speaker appear as a 16 ohm load in the crossover. The 15wk was made for Klipsch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

Here's an original EV spec sheet; shows other differences between the 15W  and 15WK (and "B" styles)

Thanks much, that's very cool to have. I've already talked to a couple guys who have repaired these for years (there's more than a few around the country it seems) so looks like that will actually be no problem...other than packing and shipping these bears properly and all.

For decades now I've done my home music listening through my studio setup(s) (sound designer/mixer for TV by trade); Tannoy DMT12's, ADAM S2A's, Genelec's etc.(and honestly I still like headphone listening a LOT). But my first audiophile experience, at around 9 or 10,  was my first trip to a HiFi shop thanks to my older brother, visiting him in college.

I will always remember the salesman first playing some stuff through Bose 901's (no offense, but I thought my brother's Smaller Advents sounded better, if not as loud). But then he switched.

"And You And I" (Yes) started playing through Klipschorns. Holy hell, goosebumps! Played some Mannheim Steamroller and Renaissance through them too. Wow.

So I'm really looking forward to getting these big ugly bastards up and running hehee. Together with the Regency as a center channel it should make for a pretty nice home theater setup to go along with just music listening. I have nice concrete corners to put them in 😊

I could use putting some excitement back into my home listening experience.

Thanks all for the help 👍