Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

I think most who have been here a while are pretty happy with their current setup, irrespective of price and come by looking to see if something better is coming along or arrived (new improved drivers, etc.).

I love my upgraded Belles, Japanese manufacture current Pre-Amp and Amp (SET) but that does not stop me from looking for deeper Nirvana.

Wb

"If You're Happy and You Know It

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. (clap clap)

If you're happy and you know it, stomp your feet (stomp stomp)
If you're happy and you know it, stomp your feet (stomp stomp)
If you're happy and you know it, stomp your feet. (stomp stomp)

If you're happy and you know it, shout "Hurray!" (hoo-ray!)

If you're happy and you know it, do all three (clap-clap, stomp-stomp, hoo-ray!)
If you're happy and you know it, do all three (clap-clap, stomp-stomp, hoo-ray!)
If you're happy and you know it, do all three. (clap-clap, stomp-stomp, hoo-ray!)"

• Like 1

Hi Tzm,

Klipsch Nirvana, BB or MDF (actually BB). The time to listen to or have background music for as many as 12 hours straight some days. Switched out my EML Solid Plate 45's for EML Balloon 45's and no snow to speak of to have to shovel. What's not to like about this time of year - this year?

Wb

3 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

that does not stop me from looking for deeper Nirvana.

Indeed how true. I am hoping to be close enough in a month to not hunger for more. But if things never got any better I could live with a smile on my face for a lifetime.

Up until this point, I avoided further comment on this thread as it seemed to me that the OP is truly not searching for discussion and knowledge but rather argument and the imposition of his opinion as fact for new folks exploring our hobby.

Could not resist commenting, though, on this comment regarding SE amps by  @ODS123 :

8 hours ago, Tizman said:
  On 12/27/2018 at 7:38 PM, ODS123 said:

As for SET amps, as I've already stated.  I'll pass, I want a linear amp.  If/ when I want to season to taste, I'll use my tone controls, or if need be, get an equalizer.  I can appreciate how the glow of the filaments has a seductive quality but the age of tubes has long passed.  

@ODS123 - Maybe if you listened to one in your own system? Doesn't mean that it will ring your chimes at all but at least your comment would have some basis in your direct experience.

@ODS123 - I hope that, someday, you will grow to understand that the absolute worst thing you can do to someone seeking to explore a new hobby (especially one like audio that connects us with so much beautiful music) is to tell them to only explore the options that you deem appropriate and discount the rest.

We should all encourage new audio hobbyists to listen to a wide variety of equipment and sources to see what pulls them in. To see where they find their emotional connection to the music they love. That's how someone just "testing the water" becomes an audio enthusiast.

Just my opinion.

16 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Dave..  You haven't answered my question.  Why come to a Klipsch sponsored (and paid for) User Forum and essentially trash every speaker they make except the line you happen to own?

Sorry OD for neglecting this. I though you were making leading comments to try and cause trouble or obfuscate what I believe in. I had no idea you were serious;)

8 hours ago, Deang said:

As for “beginners”, speakers typically take the bigger part of the budget by default. It would be rare to find someone who doesn’t have their eyes on more speaker than they can afford. Better electronics are saved for future upgrades - and then back to speakers again. No one really needs to be told this, it’s just how it works. 

I feel bad for HT folks. That’s a sizable investment in the loudspeaker department. I think what happens here is that many settle for less speaker than they want - because they need so many. 

You are right about the multiplicity of speakers for HT in terms of dollar investment. For many people it's a long journey of upgrades, which, if you are willing to reach the end of the line, end with ALL HORNS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Could not resist commenting, though, on this comment regarding SE amps by  @ODS123 :

@ODS123 - Maybe if you listened to one in your own system? Doesn't mean that it will ring your chimes at all but at least your comment would have some basis in your direct experience.

I have spent plenty of time listening to Tube amps (thought not SE admittedly) comparing them, volume matched, with S/S.  I have no interest in them apart from their cool appearance - for example, the Mac MC275. I would love to have an old one, if only to display.   I'll use an equalizer if I want to alter the signal.  ..Just as I already do with the tone controls on my current amp.