Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

1 hour ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

It is very possible that we listen differently and for different things. Every person will develop and have their own listening biases.

Doesn't mean that any are wrong, just different from others and individual to that person.

Well said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I went to "the show" in Irvine, CA and was TREMENDOUSLY disappointed in just about all of thd meagbuck systems.   Just very dull and lifeless sounding.   Tons of detail but there was zero connection to the music, so I understand exactly what you are talking about.  The music being played was often high red and or very well recorded music with tons of dynamics that just didn't exist.   Bass response?   Poor mostly across the board.   Not being funny when I say the only two systems that I really liked (there were a couple non horn systems that did sound quite good) were the large horn speakers.   Very large JBL's with beryllium drivers and ocean labs mastering speakers.   These two systems were AWESOME!   So there you have it, 50 to 100k and up does NOT gaurentee you will be satisfied.   All I could think about while I was there is how my klipsch system Was a FRACTION of the cost of the average system there and to my ears and bias the clear winner.  

Well said @Westcoastdrums :)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Well said @Westcoastdrums :)

I wish I would have stuck with klipsch from the time I was around 18 and really fell in love with music and stereos.  Oh, and stumbled upon this forum much sooner than the 4 or so years ago thay I had to be referred this way.  I would have saved an infinite amount of time and money wasted over the years.   Oh well, audio is always a journey I suppose and I have learned a lot about what I like and dislike over the years.  Glad to have found what seems to be the winner with my space and money willing to spend.   

• Like 2

I go to audio forums online mostly to learn from others that are more experienced than me, or that have had different experiences than me.  Most of my posts, this thread being a noteable exception, are me trying to learn by asking questions.  This has served me well.  ODS123 is here to pontificate and support his choices.  He has no interest in learning anything or changing his mind.  Inertia is difficult to overcome, especially when it comes in the form of a $10K+ investment in his system.  No amount of coaxing or logic will move him off course.  Every amp sounds the same, so buy a $6500 amp when a $500 dollar one sounds the same?  Why don’t you try this amp?  Not interested, I don’t want to challenge my expensive decisions.  The speakers in the ABX test weren’t appropriate and weren’t used correctly.  Yes they were.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  So don’t bother.  It’s annoying, and that’s why this thread has so many posts.  People see the arrogance and closed mindedness and get annoyed and post responses.  Me included.  

43 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

That brings back some not so pleasant memories from audio asylum. Long ago.....

A butt kicking is supposed to be unpleasant.  But not any more unpleasant than the monotonous drone of the OP.   Deang is right about cutting and pasting to save keystrokes.  The OP is consistent in pretty much all posts in all threads on this forum and, apparently, on other forums as well.  At least Romy the Cat is interesting.  Not everybody’s cup of tea, obviously, but definitely interesting.  Also, Romy the Cat’s opinions appear to come from a dizzying amount of experimenting and trying new things, unlike the OP’s “not interested”. “Not interesting” is more accurate.  If someone says to me “I put your SET amp in my system with my speakers, that you said would work well with it, and it sounds like crap”, I would be perfectly okay with it.  But “not interested” says too invested and too closed minded to me.  It also says “not qualified to advise beginners”.

3 minutes ago, Tizman said:

A butt kicking is supposed to be unpleasant.  But not any more unpleasant than the monotonous drone of the OP.   Deang is right about cutting and pasting to save keystrokes.  The OP is consistent in pretty much all posts in all threads on this forum and, apparently, on other forums as well.  At least Romy the Cat is interesting.  Not everybody’s cup of tea, obviously, but definitely interesting.  Also, Romy the Cat’s opinions appear to come from a dizzying amount of experimenting and trying new things, unlike the OP’s “not interested”. “Not interesting” is more accurate.  If someone says to me “I put your SET amp in my system with my speakers, that you said would work well with it, and it sounds like crap”, I would be perfectly okay with it.  But “not interested” says too invested and too closed minded to me.  It also says “not qualified to advise beginners”.

Could not agree more........

On 12/28/2018 at 4:50 PM, ODS123 said:

Again, you guys want something to snub your noses at others over b/c they don't have something you do.  I find that to be unfortunate and strange.  

Quote from a famous audio philosopher.  Beep Boop

4 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

One example: had the opportunity to listen to, at length and over time, the big Wilsons driven by big Levinson amps, Levinson preamp and Levinson CD player. All wired up with cables as big around as my wrist. Mid-six figure system.

Could not truly relax and connect with the music on this system. My Bride summed it up perfectly: "Every note is there, but there is no emotion."

Went home to the Lowthers driven by Quicksilver SET300B amps and was immediately involved. 

It is very possible that we listen differently and for different things. Every person will develop and have their own listening biases. Doesn't mean that any are wrong, just different from others and individual to that person.

Just my opinion.

Okay. I appreciate your explanation and understand where you are coming from...I'm not sure if it was the speakers but feel it had more to do with your preference for tube amps. Happy New Year!

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Okay. I appreciate your explanation and understand where you are coming from...I'm not sure if it was the speakers but feel it had more to do with your preference for tube amps. Happy New Year!

Maybe, mabe not. I have heard Levinson amps on two occasions and I would describe the sound as bland and lifeless. Just my take.

Shakey

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, TubeHiFiNut said:

Way to go Claude! Back then, that was Heaven to all 20-something males. ;)

It's also when I discovered that various tube amplifiers sounded way better than 70's solid state. Until, of course, Matti Otala discovered the reason why and the SS industry was repaired!

• Like 1