Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

Memory of sound is fleeting.  Fact.  There is also a distinction between a test environment and casual life long experience.  Pharma versus listening has no real meaning.  Perception is an individual experience.  There will never be a scientific determination of what is best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Memory of sound is fleeting.  Fact.  There is also a distinction between a test environment and casual life long experience.  Pharma versus listening has no real meaning.  Perception is an individual experience.  There will never be a scientific determination of what is best.

Damn, I wish you had said this at the beginning, it would have saved so many hurt feelings.....

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Damn, I wish you had said this at the beginning, it would have saved so many hurt feelings.....

=== and not had the opportunity to further edumacate ourselves in audio theory over these informative 34 pages - what a waste that would have been, or is, or has been - 

Helll, I was lost after page 4 - 

This is the most amusing thread I have ever read here. In between some snippets of information we have long digressions into opinion some of which are based on experience and some on I am always right because I am. Destined to set perhaps one of the highest read counts in a long time and all started by one hive mind NPC who knows because he knows and you don't, just ask him.

2 hours ago, richieb said:

=== and not had the opportunity to further edumacate ourselves in audio theory over these informative 34 pages - what a waste that would have been, or is, or has been - 

Helll, I was lost after page 4 - 

Certainly a lot of ground has been covered.  ..Maybe I'll take a break from posting here for the night and instead retire to some Richard Thompson or Nina Simone.

It's kind of a special night.  ...My MDF Cornwall IIIs and I are celebrating 387 days together without water-damage or corner dents.  Phew.. It hasn't been easy resisting the temptation to take them out in the rain or carry them up 2 flights of stairs..  Fingers crossed for another 387.

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You must be a Democrat, since they always resort to name calling instead of contributing data.

This statement is not true and anyone who has debated/discussed politics with me can back that up. In fact, during the last 8 years of the BS Forum the exact opposite of what you state occurred and I know because I lived it.....

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

It's kind of a special night.  ...My MDF Cornwall IIIs and I are celebrating 387 days together without water-damage or corner dents.  Phew.. It hasn't been easy..  Fingers crossed for another 387.

Nice.  Enjoy.  Please let us know how your double blind test goes.  I am looking forward to the results.  It might be the first time ever that someone says his Mac amp sounds the same as a Sony receiver.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

This is the most amusing thread I have ever read here. In between some snippets of information we have long digressions into opinion some of which are based on experience and some on I am always right because I am. Destined to set perhaps one of the highest read counts in a long time and all started by one hive mind NPC who knows because he knows and you don't, just ask him.

No matter what types of "testing" or whose opinions we seek to get there (with however many channels we choose) it is ALL an ILLUSION! But we do want the best illusion possible.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

This statement is not true and anyone who has debated/discussed politics with me can back that up. In fact, during the last 8 years of the BS Forum the exact opposite of what you state occurred and I know because I lived it.....

Not on Facebook, they don't....................now back to audio

The ONLY thing AB/X is supposed to do is statistically determine if there is any audible difference between A and B, period. NOT which one sounds better.

I don't want to take your test because it will just be a waste of your time and mine, what with my years of experience polishing my golden ears.

Well, okay, I'll do it if for no other reason than to finally shut you up.

WTF??  That test was flawed and fraught with problems!  There's no way in hell I shouldn't be able to pick which one is "X", every time, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!

-

I'm not in any way suggesting that different components can't or won't match up in better ways, mind you.  And I'm not suggesting all electronics sound the same under every circumstance (and didn't get the impression the OP was saying that). 

Dean, fingernails on the chalkboard, while unpleasant, never bothered me nearly as much as a hard spot in a crayon skipping across the paper in a coloring book.

EDIT:

I've always welcomed tests.  I may succumb to situational anxieties in other matters, but never testing.  I'd like to think I could "beat the box", as it were, in an A/B/X audio test, and likely ***** if I couldn't.  As much or better than the next guy.   :)

Edited by glens
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not on Facebook, they don't....................now back to audio

I have only been on FB for a year and joined after I heard what happened on their prior to the 2016 Election--Suffice it to say there is a lot of reporting by Government and Media that once again, what you are saying just isn't true.

19 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The ONLY thing AB/X is supposed to do is statistically determine if there is any audible difference between A and B, period. NOT which one sounds better.

The opening post (includes a few links) … one is about a Spanish Matrix-HiFi "babble" website forum, noting each paragraph under their philosophy... as objectives, what's esoteric. what is matrix hifi, theorical arguments A B & C, suggestions, chimeric arguments 1,2,3,4,5 & 6...  . o O (so it seems they have the pleasure and time to make an elementary analysis) using competitors time and exposure, to simply please themselves and the dumb thought that … o O (??? civil high fidelity is fruitless ???)

IMO... it's not a theory, it's the same old losers final breath, with a savory argument of word's, meaning nothing in the translation to real audio listening...

44 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

No matter what types of "testing" or whose opinions we seek to get there (with however many channels we choose) it is ALL an ILLUSION! But we do want the best illusion possible.

True Claude but sometimes people mix delusion with illusion and then you get confusion.

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

True Claude but sometimes people mix delusion with illusion and then you get confusion.

My statement was incomplete..........I should have said: Compared to any live acoustic performance, stereo is just an illusion that attempts to replicate the live experience, but always falls short.

• Like 2