Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

7 minutes ago, Deang said:

should have told her to not spend so much on something that doesn’t offer you anything more than your AVR. 

You do realize that a lot of people get expensive watches as anniversary gifts, right?  Even though they don't keep time any better than a $100 Atomic Casio, a watch that syncs up every day with the national clock.

10 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

It's an MA6600.  And I didn't say no other brands offer the quality, I said few other brands have the features (wattage meters, tone, balance, mode control) AND have the tactile feel of the McIntosh.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.27.18 AM.png

None of which has anything to do with sonic quality and therefore undercuts the credibility of your arguments. "Do as I say, not as I do, because I'm invested and enlightened."

To any beginners still reading this thread, don't listen to ODS123.  He will advise you to buy poor quality electronics to feed your new Klipsch speakers, but he doesn't use these crappy components himself.  This is 100% true. 

If you want a nice quality amplifier on the cheap that will sound great, check out the Amp Camp Amp kit designed by Nelson Pass.  In my experience, and as a person who does hear differences between amplifiers, the ACA is a fantastic bargain.  I feel this is true despite having a definite preference for single ended triode amplifiers with my Klipsch speakers.  The ACA looks and sounds great.  Especially for the money.   

26 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

It's an MA6600.  And I didn't say no other brands offer the quality, I said few other brands have the features (wattage meters, tone, balance, mode control) AND have the tactile feel of the McIntosh.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.27.18 AM.png

If there is “negligible” difference in sound, then you spent a shit ton of money on meters and knobs. If this is the case, then this would make you an idiot. 

Just now, Thaddeus Smith said:

Btw, I'm not suggesting you get rid of the MA6600.. I'd just rather you stop vomiting pseudo-enlightenment under the guise of "protecting beginners from expensive mistakes in our hobby."

Surely there's something to be said for that? If you come to this place there is a very good chance a beginner would do just that. 

19 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

You do realize that a lot of people get expensive watches as anniversary gifts, right?  Even though they don't keep time any better than a $100 Atomic Casio, a watch that syncs up every day with the national clock.

You mean an expensive time piece that doubles as an investment, and will increase in value. 

Tell me what what your 6600 will be worth in 10 years. 

This is a lame comparison. 

7 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Or rich. Some folks have the expendable cash....Seriously. 

He should be willing to impress all of the beginners by showing that he’s a true believer. He can take the money and put it towards a Rolex. 

18 minutes ago, Tizman said:

To any beginners still reading this thread, don't listen to ODS123.  He will advise you to buy poor quality electronics to feed your new Klipsch speakers, but he doesn't use these crappy components himself.  This is 100% true. 

If you want a nice quality amplifier on the cheap that will sound great, check out the Amp Camp Amp kit designed by Nelson Pass.  In my experience, and as a person who does hear differences between amplifiers, the ACA is a fantastic bargain.  I feel this is true despite having a definite preference for single ended triode amplifiers with my Klipsch speakers.  The ACA looks and sounds great.  Especially for the money.   

=== True. Athough I didn’t build them I owned them. Gives a taste of high end for very little investment. Not only are they good “for the money” they’re just damn good sounding amps. Being designed by the Master using a very simple circuit says it all —