Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

3 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

No offense meant but I, for one, am very glad that my SE amps do not sound like solid state amps. ;)

Yes, their signature distortions are quite pleasant and measurable. Single Ended Tubes (or Pass Class A Jfets types) all sound wonderful on horns, since they don't need much power. It's the First Watt that counts, after all. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, robert_kc said:

Based on your experience, do you think that hi-res recordings delivered at 24bit/96kHz sound better than the same recording down-converted to CD (16bit/44.1kHz)?

Close enough, but why do that when it's just plastic we are talking about here. Blue Ray is the best standard delivery for even 2 channel recordings, so why would someone want to go down to CD level unless you want to play it in the car instead of at home. Admittedly, CD's sound damn good.........Still, since they have come a long way from the old Sony Brick Wall filters. I owned the very first CD player ever made, and it was Bob James/Earl Klugh LP vs CD back then. The CD won because no clicks or pops, just clean master tape background!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, their signature distortions are quite pleasant and measurable. Single Ended Tubes (or Pass Class A Jfets types) all sound wonderful on horns, since they don't need much power. It's the First Watt that counts, after all. 

Plus, they sound like music. :)

40 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Can you imagine buying any other kind of appliance and reading in the manual that it won't work as well as possible for 500 hours!?

Well sure, my trash compactor is exactly the same as my audio gear.   How ridiculous.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tizman said:

Clark sets the bar pretty low.  You set it much higher, and are willing to dismiss certain topologies outright without having heard them.  Quantify your choices and advice to beginners as an Objectivist.  Clark’s criteria include amplifiers that you don’t include.

I will use the same trolling technique used by IDS123.  What is your reply ODS123?  

5 hours ago, Tizman said:

So, ODS123, what qualifies as “a modern amp that is engineered to be linear”?  At what point does an amp’s non-linear behaviour disqualify it from being “a modern amp that is engineered to be linear”, and how do you quantify this objectively?

What is your answer ODS123?  Do you have one, or are you just a boring troll?

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== not so sure Cincy. 

Like going to a comedy club and listening to a third rate comedian. Are you entertained or annoyed?

Count me in as entertained. I leave for half a day and return to find nuggets of humor disguised as "serious" audio analysis and I am thinking I have not been so amused since I joined the forum.

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

In another review, Ayre Acoustics recommends 100-500 hours of break-in time.  This is remarkable to me!   Can you imagine buying any other kind of appliance and reading in the manual that it won't work as well as possible for 500 hours!?

So you disappear for a while and then come back with something like this. I would like a link to what you are claiming. As a matter of fact when you come up with any more of this stuff I want a link. I want to see it for myself. Verification is good.  I would also like your concise definition of linear and remember we can put sentences into Google and see if it is primarily your own words or lifted from someone else. The big problem with the internet today for people who love unsubstantiated claims is we can check.  

Let’s sum up:

1) Speakers and room have more of an effect on sound than gear. Check.

2) DBT and AB/X listening tests reveal that people can’t reliably distinguish between amplifiers using similar design criteria. Check. 

No one cares. People buy what they like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

Let’s sum up:

1) Speakers and room have more of an effect on sound than gear. Check.

2) DBT and AB/X listening tests reveal that people can’t reliably distinguish between amplifiers using similar design criteria. Check. 

No one cares. People buy what they like.

Bout time :D

13 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The big problem with the internet today for people who love unsubstantiated claims is we can check.

LMAO because that doesn't stop anyone from doing it.  Then they double down when called on it.  When that doesn't work they try to deflect blame for their own lack of intelligence.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

LMAO because that doesn't stop anyone from doing it.  Then they double down when called on it.  When that doesn't work they try to deflect blame for their own lack of intelligence.

You got that right.Deflect deflect deflect.