Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

57 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Yesterday I listened to an audio demonstration where a pair of miniature microphones suspended on tiny wire supports are placed at the opening of each person's ear canals, to monitor the frequency response of the music reaching the ears. Using this feedback, the engineers would adjust the signal for the best sound. I want the home version if and when it becomes available.

Beginners will use easier ways of finding their desired sound than some of us amp jugglers, myself including, have in the past.

One thing I advise newbies to do is "keep it simple" and not go for a multi-channel biamped system. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

And here I am assembling a mono system to play my mono records. ;)

Late at night when I can't sleep, I sometimes listen to the mono system in my bedroom, and it sounds very pleasant at low/moderate volume:  The speaker is a single Klipsch WF-35.  Source is an older CD player.  Fisher TA 500 (1950s era AM/FM mono tube receiver).  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

as far as creating a visually open space for the vocalist and instruments to appear to populate.

Does that work for both female and male vocalists?  You know, that populate thing?

"Populate." That may be one of my words of the year for 2019.

"Resplendent" is for sure on the list.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Yesterday I listened to an audio demonstration where a pair of miniature microphones suspended on tiny wire supports are placed at the opening of each person's ear canals, to monitor the frequency response of the music reaching the ears. Using this feedback, the engineers would adjust the signal for the best sound. I want the home version if and when it becomes available.

Beginners will use easier ways of finding their desired sound than some of us amp jugglers, myself including, have in the past.

Where was this?  Very intrigued by this!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Dr. Olive has mentioned this in the past.

In the comments of this post I have linked he talks about other researchers using a probe located at the eardrum.  (Siemans has a lot of research using such probes I ran into about 10 years ago).

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html?m=1

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I think at page 3,  5, 8, 13, 21, 34 . . . and now 60.  I'm trying to see if there is some sort of patten developing here.

Hi Travis,

I don't have time right now to track down what you're looking at ... so let me explain.

The OP has been trolling this forum since the beginning of November.

He started with an "Appeal to Authority" (argumentum ad verecundiam ), and then "Argument through Repetition (argumentum ad nauseam). He's been using these logical fallacies to bait and troll.

That's the only pattern I know about ...

• Like 2

Hmmm...... the idea all amps sound alike, even source gear is very interesting. The bad part is when we turn 10 and realize they mostly sound different. It don't matter if they do or don't. Ya buy the best amp and  gear you can afford based on your enthusiasm , be it new or used and enjoy.........I also need to get my post count over 5000 someday so.............

6 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Yesterday I listened to an audio demonstration where a pair of miniature microphones suspended on tiny wire supports are placed at the opening of each person's ear canals, to monitor the frequency response of the music reaching the ears. 

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Where was this?  Very intrigued by this!

It was at CES 2019. The demonstration is for the Sony music recording and playback system called 360 Reality Audio.