Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

2 minutes ago, kink56 said:

I am not trolling. I own two pairs of Klipcsh, but I have owned enough speakers to recognize their weaknesses as well as their strengths.  There are those here who are either not aware, or don't care or have simply drank the koolaid and are full-fledge members of the Cult that is PWK.   The person who OWNS the Khorns I listened to did not hear the resonance either.   And going by what I have seen here, I am sure there are others who have no idea what I have heard.  If I were rich, I would love to go to every member's house with my one CD that fully demonstrates what I am talking about, and take a poll on who can hear (or better term notice) what my objection is with Klipsch bass bins. 

I agree that cornwalls, and to a lesser extent, lascalas can sound a little boxy on some bass heavy material. But I have never heard anything like you describe with fortes or khorns.

Shakey

12 minutes ago, kink56 said:

I am not trolling. I own two pairs of Klipcsh, but I have owned enough speakers to recognize their weaknesses as well as their strengths.  There are those here who are either not aware, or don't care or have simply drank the koolaid and are full-fledge members of the Cult that is PWK.   The person who OWNS the Khorns I listened to did not hear the resonance either.   And going by what I have seen here, I am sure there are others who have no idea what I have heard.  If I were rich, I would love to go to every member's house with my one CD that fully demonstrates what I am talking about, and take a poll on who can hear (or better term notice) what my objection is with Klipsch bass bins. 

Whats the disk?  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Cult that is PWK.

Look into my eyes 👀 ... while you drink the koolaid....!!!

It wasn’t the koolaid that drew me into the cult it was hearing the Klipschorns and comparing them against the Quad ESL63 US, Acoustat 2+2,  and JBL250ti...

PWK Cult member since 1984 ...😆

miketn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tizman said:

I’m pretty sure every Klipsch speakers ever made sounds better than a speaker that doesn’t exist.

Oh it exists alright. It's a tiny 2-way box that is shrill and thin.  It's actually called the Super Zero.

But it has "ZERO" bass resonance.......

2 hours ago, kink56 said:

I would rather have NHT Zero Ones over another set of Belles ever again

I’d rather have one less gonad and have a pair of Belles.  If the “resonance” bothers you more than listening to a fully DR speaker of 86 DB/W/M with -3 DB point of 85 Hertz (NHT Super Zero), so be it.  I don’t get it though.  At all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I think I have to agree with Kink56. The older Klipsch stuff does have a resonant quality. It's never bothered me, but I do hear what he's talking about.

It's hard to ignore that 7 db peak in a LaScala, at 140 Hz.......................this is why I'm also a fan of Open Baffle bass, with lots of drivers, after years of only horns.

• Like 1

Well at least a few of you get what I am talking about . Not Super Zero, but Super Ones.  They are slightly larger than Super Zeros.  I do not need much under 100hz because of my subwoofers.   So, I have no objection to the Belles not digging deep.   I hear the resonance on a lot of my music but the bellwether for me is from Emiliana Torrini's "Me And Armini" CD song 3: Birds. Now it also happens to have an almost sub-sonic rumbling going on, but that is not it.  In fact without subwoofers one cannot even hear this very low rumbling on Belles, but you can on K-horns.  It has become my go-to for testing bass bin resonances on Klipsch speakers.   The bass strings, mostly the A string, on her acoustic guitar really excites the 7 db peak to extreme annoyance to me.  On the Fortes it is much less of a problem. 

It was also a problem on the K-horns I heard at another's house.  He did not notice.   But then again he did not even have any furniture placed in the sweet spot so I asked for a folding chair.  I do not think imaging and soundstage meant anything to him, as he bragged on and on about how his speakers served well as entertainment at parties and how it annoyed the neighbors. And he being older than my 62 years made me wonder of his maturity level.

I thought maybe it was that "thumping" because of the bass bin resonance that annoyed the neighbors the most. 😉

4 hours ago, kink56 said:

I would rather have NHT Zero Ones

22 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Well at least a few of you get what I am talking about . Not Super Zero, but Super Ones. 

Glad that you have the speakers you want. No offense intended, but I had trouble de-coding your first statement.

19 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Glad that you have the speakers you want. No offense intended, but I had trouble de-coding your first statement.

Yes, I can understand why you would.  When it comes to imaging and soundstage the NHT do a better job.  In fact I have Super zeros in my garage with a cheapo Infinity subwoofer, the are quite capable of filling the neighborhood with sound driven by a 50wpc NAD integrated.   But, I would MUCH rather have my Forte or even Heresys over the Super Ones or Super Zeros.  But I would not want the Belles over any other speaker I have ever had in my life.     And I am still curious how the La Scala IIs sound. If that hump has been addressed or not. I am still attracted to the idea of the La Scala for some damned reason. 

4 hours ago, kink56 said:

Again I heard this and others did not notice.  I would think that some people are not noticing, regardless the reason. And if several other people did not notice, then it is fairly reasonable to deduce that there are OTHERS who may even be on this board, who do not notice what I am hearing.

You may have an ability to hear things that many other people do not. 

• Haha 1

kink56:  La Scala is an all horn loaded design in a 2X2X3 box.  You can do better with a bigger horn/more floor space, but the size of LS is already on the borderline of acceptable for me and many others.  Are there any other flawless all horn loaded speakers of the same size that you you can point me to?  The peak around 150 HZ is well documented, and is a function of the size and design of the horn, but it is not a deal breaker in my case or that of others that have posted in this and other threads.  So, what’s your point?  Is it that La Scala’s aren’t perfect?  There is a whole list of things that are “not perfect” about LS speakers.  For example, the mouth termination of the midrange and tweeter drivers, parralel sections in the bass horn portion, an imperfect midrange horn, no time alignment of drivers, etc.  At the end of the day, the trade offs that LS has are offset by the strengths it has for a particular user, or they are not.  How well would the NHT Super Zeros do with a 2.5 Watt amplifier, and how dynamic would they be?  How does a kick drum sound on them with any amplifier?  Etc.  What is your point?  Is it that, for you, their weaknesses outweigh their strengths?  If so, thanks for the info, but I definitely don’t share your priorities.