Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

1 minute ago, kink56 said:

Yes the two way Jubes are on my radar as well. Finding where to hear them would even be more rare than LS II I would think.      

I have very satisfactory subwoofers, so I am not concerned about bass extension.  But that 120-150hz  hump is a deal breaker!  I have been bored and unmoved by speakers before, but never offended as I was with the Belles before. 

I heard a set of the new La Scalas and Jubes with the 402's and it would be those Jubes any day for me over the La Scalas. Better sound and I think cheaper too.

1 minute ago, kink56 said:

Yes the two way Jubes are on my radar as well. Finding where to hear them would even be more rare than LS II I would think.  

There is a thread with locations for many Jubilee's.  I don't know of any thread with specific locations for LS II's.

Having spoken with most (but not all, now that the group is growing) of the Jubilee owners, I can't think of one that would object to having someone over to give them a good listen.

If someone is genuinely thinking about that kind of expense....I'd consider a round trip air fare (especially if you can go direct) to give them a whirl.

Someone in Chicago was once making comments about his debate on buying a pair.  I let him know that the airlines fly direct from Chicago to Knoxville (where I am) and I'd be happy to pick him up for a full day of auditioning and I'd take him back to airport....  perhaps when the weather breaks...it will happen.

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

I heard a set of the new La Scalas and Jubes with the 402's and it would be those Jubes any day for me over the La Scalas. Better sound and I think cheaper too.

=== I own both and yes it is Jubes over LS1. However there is just something so “right” when I pull the LS back in. Right enough that I could easily own just those. I would very much like a pair of LS2 —

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Max2 said:

No its there.  I don't know if they recorded with a pickup in the acoustic or used a mic, but his hammer on with  A7 I think is very harmonic as well as much more of his or her finger work in the song. That guitar could very well have a nasty resonation.  The Tune finishes out much better than its starts.  

As far as the Belle and the LS, theyre really not full range speakers in sorts IMO. The LaScala was built straight up for P.A. action, or at least that the last story I heard.  The Belle is a spruced up version with a shorter cab and shorter and more narrow mid horn for easier placement.   But if you can get over their shortcomings, the rest cant be touched by a lot of the very costly cream that is out there.  The Belle is better in a deeper room with its smaller mid horn, but the LaScala gets the full enchilada with the K-400 or 401.  Two LaScalas and a sub will trounce 90+% of the garb on the market.  What I listen to just cant be reproduced to my ears correctly without involving a horn.  The cycle response humps you mention that are actually in the K and the LS's and B's are there for a reason. I know someone really smart didn't want them there, but to gain on one side you have to subtract from the other and Im pretty sure he made the most sensible decision where he had to.

The first song has a similar but less obtrusive effect with the electric guitar. But it sounds just like what the Les Paul and my Fender Twin Tweed amp sounded like when I had them.   If you listen to the whole album, there are other songs with the same problem with the acoustic guitar shows up here and there.  If you like saxophone, try to find Anthony Braxton's Seven Standards 1985 volume 2 on the Magenta label.  You get to hear his fingers on the keys and his varying aperture technique. On one song he is passing more air through than needed to make the sax sound. You hear a lot of air over the sound of the sax. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== I own both and yes it is Jubes over LS1. However there is just something so “right” when I pull the LS back in. Right enough that I could easily own just those. I would very much like a pair of LS2 —

I have to admit that songs like Crumbling Down by Mellancamp or Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws will chest thump you better on La Scalas than anything else I have owned but the tonal quality is lacking and so is the bass for me. Migrated to Pro gear and wont be back.

7 hours ago, kink56 said:

I am not trolling. I own two pairs of Klipcsh, but I have owned enough speakers to recognize their weaknesses as well as their strengths.  There are those here who are either not aware, or don't care or have simply drank the koolaid and are full-fledge members of the Cult that is PWK.   The person who OWNS the Khorns I listened to did not hear the resonance either.   And going by what I have seen here, I am sure there are others who have no idea what I have heard.  If I were rich, I would love to go to every member's house with my one CD that fully demonstrates what I am talking about, and take a poll on who can hear (or better term notice) what my objection is with Klipsch bass bins. 

I have Khorn R & L, with a Belle center.  The Belle showed a slight resonance at high SPL, very rarely.  I was going to flushmount it in the wall between the Khorns anyway, so I arranged to put some damping pressure on both sides, the back and the bottom.  That got rid of the rare resonance. 

My Khorns are pressed into the corners, with a gasket which makes for a tight seal -- no resonance.  The walls near the Khorns are very firm, made of about 10" O.C.  2X6s, covered by 3/4 voidless ply, which in turn is covered by 5/8" sheet rock, screwed and glued, with seams staggered.  In our former house, the nearby walls were the same, except the plywood was covered by walnut veneer.  No resonance there, either. 

I did see walls once that bounced in and out under the influence of Khorns, and they, the walls, did resonate.  How firm are your friend's walls?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Hey I am going to remain silent for awhile. Maybe the OP will magically return! 😆(for those conspiracy theorists on this thread) 

I'll add that I did download the Emiliana Torrini Song (Birds) you mentioned and while I did hear the rumbling (which I believe Torrini intended) I did not hear the resonance.  I played it three times at increasing volumes and couldn't hear a resonance.  Either the Cornwall IIIs don't have this issue, or I'm blessed by exquisite amp/speaker synergy: meaning my McIntosh Integrated exhibits a -7db 150hz drop-off to offset my speakers 150hz +7dB hump.

5 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I'll add that I did download the Emiliana Torrini Song (Birds) you mentioned and while I did hear the rumbling (which I believe Torrini intended) I did not hear the resonance.  I played it three times at increasing volumes and couldn't hear a resonance.  Either the Cornwall IIIs don't have this issue, or I'm blessed by exquisite amp/speaker synergy: meaning my McIntosh Integrated exhibits a -7db 150hz drop-off to offset my speakers 150hz +7dB hump.

Here ya go Tizman 🤣

19 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Hey I am going to remain silent for awhile. Maybe the OP will magically return! 😆(for those conspiracy theorists on this thread) 

It is all cool here. Relax, you have nothing to prove to anyone here. Your opinion is welcome and matters. Among fellow members...

continue to enjoy the ride...thanks for your input...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Well I did not expect a problem with Cornwalls anyway.  Yes, the rumbling is a separate thing, and probably intended as it is sprinkled throughout the recording. 

28 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Your Cornwall IIIs are DR.   They don't exhibit the same exaggerated resonance spoken of that I am aware of after owning them. 

7 hours ago, kink56 said:

I hear the resonance on a lot of my music but the bellwether for me is from Emiliana Torrini's "Me And Armini" CD song 3: Birds. Now it also happens to have an almost sub-sonic rumbling going on, but that is not it.  In fact without subwoofers one cannot even hear this very low rumbling on Belles, but you can on K-horns.  It has become my go-to for testing bass bin resonances on Klipsch speakers.

I just listened to Birds by Emiliana Torrini. I used headphones, on purpose. It is a pretty song and her voice is nice.

The very low frequency rumble is in the recording, as you acknowledged. At times, the low guitar notes seem to be distorting or resonating, on the recording. I will try to Zero in on that later.

If you don't hear that on your non-Klipsch speakers, I am happy for you, I guess.

6 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I just listened to Birds by Emiliana Torrini. I used headphones, on purpose. It is a pretty song and her voice is nice.

The very low frequency rumble is in the recording, as you acknowledged. At times, the low guitar notes seem to be distorting or resonating, on the recording. I will try to Zero in on that later.

If you don't hear that on your non-Klipsch speakers, I am happy for you, I guess.

So the problem appears to be on the track, and isn't an issue with the speakers.  "At times, the low guitar notes seem to be distorting or resonating", on the recording.  Is that correct?  Also, according to kink56, the previous song on the recording has the same issue but to a lesser degree.  Sounds like an issue with the recording to me.