Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

The background, or underground rumble on that recording caused the original recording to distort. Then when it is played back, the sub-sonic rumble forces the woofers to overwork, even if you can not hear it, causing intermodulation distortion which compounds the problem by creating another abnormal level of distortion. This may be worse than the above described condition, which I presume would be a clean recording.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The background, or underground rumble on that recording caused the original recording to distort. Then when it is played back, the sub-sonic rumble forces the woofers to overwork, even if you can not hear it, causing intermodulation distortion which compounds the problem by creating another abnormal level of distortion. This may be worse than the above described condition, which I presume would be a clean recording.

Well since I use a cross over to my subwoofers and my mains, None of that rumble transfers to the main speakers. AND, that does not account for all the ECM CDs that also have this problem in the 120-150hz area with the Belles. I think most can admit that ECM recordings are well above average when it comes to sound quality.    Depending on the power amp I used for the mains (the power amp's input impedance affects the crossover setting), the mains do not "see" anything below 50hz to 100hz.  So that theory is out the door. 

Let's hear some more from the apologetics. Keep searching for more excuses. This is beginning to be entertainment all in itself. 

I was just commenting on the #1 recording you play when you conduct a speaker demonstration, and you suggested that we listen to.

I also think that your comments about the hump are valid, but the recording of the song is not the best choice for the demo, unless the point is to make the speaker sound unnaturally bad.

@kink56 , I notice that you are in Tucson. Maybe the wood panels of your Belle cabinets had dried out in the arid climate. The plywood on my old La Scala cabinet did not seem as dense as other newer cabinets, so I glued and screwed extra panel thickness to the sides before wrapping them with veneer.

IMG_66651.jpg.7b1967593023f643de9de8819001589a.jpg

Edited by Khornukopia
add photo
  • Like 1

The point is that the recording chosen was picked out to support his position, and he chose a bad recording to do so as it best supports his position.  It’s kind of like picking a recording with a poorly recorded, screechy and boosted midrange to demo a full range single driver speaker like a Lowther.  It’s going to sound worse than it would with a better recording that wasn’t specifically  picked out to accent the flaws of the driver.  It is not a meaningful test of overall speaker quality.  That is not about apologizing for anything.

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

I have noticed this on some of the music these editing geniuses work on and I can't play them at any volume at all without severe sound problems. I don't have a good way to describe it other than it sounds like death to speakers if you persist. I can't imagine what speakers these guys use to think they have done a good job.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tizman said:

The point is that the recording chosen was picked out to support his position, and he chose a bad recording to do so as it best supports his position.

Maybe he did not realize it was a bad recording. It could just be a song he likes, and that it emphasizes something he can hear, but others can not, in certain speaker designs.

(Am I allowed to be apologetic for both sides of a conversation?)

Just now, Khornukopia said:

Maybe he did not realize it was a bad recording. It could just be a song he likes, and that it emphasizes something he can hear, but others can not, in certain speaker designs.

(Am I allowed to be apologetic for both sides of a conversation?)

I don't think Kink is the same as OD. He had the misfortune to come in on a thread like this one and got jumped on. He could have gone anywhere else and probably would have been OK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I don't think Kink is the same as OD. He had the misfortune to come in on a thread like this one and got jumped on. He could have gone anywhere else and probably would have been OK. 

I like to think he is OK here. We are all discussing audio equipment and loudspeakers and learning from each other. I appreciate everyone's comments, because I gain a bit of knowledge from everything I read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizman said:

A speaker that makes a crappy recording sound good is not a good speaker.  

I would agree. And would add that a speaker that makes potentially "fatiguing" instruments sound "never-fatiguing" is also NOT a good speaker.  You'll read the comment from some audiophiles that their systems "never cause listener fatigue no matter how long I listen."  ..Well, unless you're listening at a whisper volume your speakers aren't doing their job because some  instruments, even when played by competent musicians, WILL cause fatigue after a while.   ...Just sayin'

2 minutes ago, Deang said:

Just once I wish you knew what you were taking about. 

elaborate please  ..Are you saying no musical instruments can begin to grate or cause fatigue?  ..Trumpets, flutes, saxophones, even some string instruments can become fatiguing.  Know anyone who plays in an orchestra?  ..Ask him/her.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

What does performing live music in an orchestra have to with playing recordings on a pair of loudspeakers 

Well, the goal of this hobby is, '''...A lot".  There is a delta b/w real and recorded music.  Isn't it the goal of hifi to decrease the delta?

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

We’re talking about listening fatigue in relationship to recorded music played through loudspeakers. What are you talking about?  

c'mon dean follow the thread for god sakes.  dizman made the comment that "A speaker that makes a crappy recording sound good is not a good speaker."

Following that logic, I said that a speaker that make a fatiguing, shrill piccolo sound non-fatiguing is also NOT a good speaker.  Follow?