Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

8 minutes ago, Edgar said:

A bandwidth of 26 Hz (±13 Hz) at 148 Hz center frequency is a Q of 5.7. That's a little higher than I'd recommend; I prefer to keep it below 3 or 4. A cut of up to maybe 6-7 dB should be OK at the lower Q, but you'll probably find that you don't need that much.

I'll have a look at the program again and play around with it based upon these recommendations.  Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, Edgar said:

A bandwidth of 26 Hz (±13 Hz) at 148 Hz center frequency is a Q of 5.7. That's a little higher than I'd recommend; I prefer to keep it below 3 or 4. A cut of up to maybe 6-7 dB should be OK at the lower Q, but you'll probably find that you don't need that much.

I just put a random number in of 26 Hz for the bandwidth in that sim.  I was really just playing around, and not basing it on any knowledge of the nature of the hump.  What does the hump actually look like?  Would a smaller or larger bandwidth be more appropriate?   

19 minutes ago, Tizman said:

What does the hump actually look like?  Would a smaller or larger bandwidth be more appropriate?   

You'll have to get an answer from someone more familiar with that particular loudspeaker. My advice was intended to be more like a rule of thumb.

2 hours ago, Tizman said:

Maybe it's best to leave it be in my case, especially since I don't perceive any issues.

2 hours ago, Tizman said:

Would a smaller or larger bandwidth be more appropriate?   

Some room and speaker combinations work together really well.

Unfortunately, I don't have bandwidth suggestions. I use an auto-EQ system. Press a button, let it measure, calculate and adjust.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is......?😊

A very good point.  The older I get, the more distracted by minutiae I get.  Besides, I have a FH1/Eminence 15C + 511B/Renkus Heinz SSD1800 two way with ALK ES600 to tackle first.  I just spent the last three hours researching DIY wood Tractrix and OS wood horns that I could use instead of the 511Bs that I have at hand.  See what I mean?

9 hours ago, Tizman said:

The woofer is 4 Ohm, so I should use this instead of the woofer's impedance in the horn, which is closer to 6 Ohms?

What would be an appropriate reduction to shoot for?  Is 3-4 DB a better target?

Thanks for the input by the way!

If you have measured the horn with the woofer at 6ohms then start there.  Everything you introduce in the circuit will change things.  I was just using 4ohms to get close to point out a fairly large capacitance and inductor which will definitely have some impact on the woofer circuit.

As far as the db drop, it is determined by the resistor so you can tweak as you will though smaller is probably better.

10 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

The red trace is my La Scala bass bin. The blue trace is a high quality direct radiator speaker box. The measurement mic was in front of a listening position across the room from the two side by side speakers.

This was just to see if the "150Hz hump" was something to be seriously concerned with. The hump was there at one meter measuring distance, but it levels out across the room, so I am not worried about it.

The dip at 320Hz changes when I move the mic around. Everything measures a little differently when the mic is re-positioned. 

1024439779_LaScalared.jpg.debf512a631af34fe9a200b1c5c4f9a0.jpg

EQ switched off

Yes it does. This should serve to further illustrate what I keep repeating over and over and over that the ROOM is the most important aspect of sound reproduction, since after 10 feet 90% of the sound is the reverberant field of the room swamping out any speaker magnitude variations, which are small in comparison......especially below 300 Hz.

This deserves a completely separate thread for reference.

Some really good information here (as always...) that will get lost in THIS thread...

-LaScala “150hz hump” notch filter, or PEQ settings

-After 10 feet room takes over frequency response below 300 hz

My listening experience so far seems to support both statements

Once my listening position with LaScalas (and Peavey FH-1’s) is above OR outside “near field” the hump is all but gone and the bass is felt, not heard.

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes it does. This should serve to further illustrate what I keep repeating over and over and over that the ROOM is the most important aspect of sound reproduction, 

Couldn't agree more and would urge beginners to give serious thought to this as well.

Room setup contributes way more to a system's sound than some faint amplifier nuance that escapes both measurement and repeatable differentiation from other amplifiers. 

This (very interesting) departure from the amp debate also underscores the need for either tone controls or (better) an equalizer.

1 minute ago, ODS123 said:

Couldn't agree more and would urge beginners to give serious thought to this as well.

You seem hung up on beginners. Why do you think you are qualified to determine what beginners should do? There is a difference between having a conversation about things you have done and why, and holding yourself out as a Guru to be followed with all other opinions discarded unless they agree with you. Your experience as far as I can tell is limited at best.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dave A said:

You seem hung up on beginners. Why do you think you are qualified to determine what beginners should do? There is a difference between having a conversation about things you have done and why, and holding yourself out as a Guru to be followed with all other opinions discarded unless they agree with you. Your experience as far as I can tell is limited at best.

While I am probably a fair bit younger than most of you I have spent many many years immersed in recorded (and live) music.  ..I don't see other peoples credentials being challenged.

17 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

While I am probably a fair bit younger than most of you I have spent many many years immersed in recorded (and live) music.  ..I don't see other peoples credentials being challenged.

You know what the difference is? You don't see (most) others on this forum pushing their opinions as the gospel of Jesus Christ himself.

I don't care what your (or anyone else for that matter) credentials are. I trust my ears as to what sounds good.

I was listening to "March of the Toy  Drums" on my Kenner close n play in the  mid-60s. Been immersed in music ever since. Don't you dare challenge my credentials.........

Shakey

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

@ODS123 - The difference is that you presume to tell newbies how they should approach our hobby. That your way is the "correct" way.

In my opinion, new folks need to explore what our hobby has to offer and gain experience so that they can decide what matters to them - not you, not me.

I can only offer what has worked, and not worked, for me in the 47 years that I have been an audio hobbyist. That may, or may not work for a newbie as each person must identify their priorities.

Just my opinion. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

Like a good friend once told me: "If you don't know what you're buying, know who you're buying it from."

• Like 1