Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

6 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I think it's safe to assume there were plenty of Klipsch or other horn speakers in the mix

Sure, lots of people brought their Klipschorns, La Scalas and Klipsch Pro gear with them in their cars to do the test.  All horns and no DRs, remember?  HaHa!

The Guadalajara test used a low sensitivity, all DR, nearfield monitor for the test but, incorrectly, not in the nearfield.  Wrong again!  Haha.

Some form of documentation must exist that at least some of these ($10k) tests were performed.  I recall mention of an AES get-together which had to have at least note taking done.  Also, it seems there was mention of the test travelling as opposed to the participants only doing so.

And be they horns, headphones, or whatever, participants assuredly had prior experience developing amplification preferences through them...  Just saying.

• Like 1

Glens:  ODS123 is all about conclusions looking for supporting evidence.  

The point is that the “Challenge” equalizes differences between amps before allowing participants to take the test.  That means, irrefutably, that the amps tested don’t sound the same in the real world. 

The Guadalajara test used speakers that were not designed for the way they were used in the test.

Conclusions looking for supporting evidence, unsuccessfully.  Not very scientific either.

I don’t see anything wrong with using the ATC monitors the way they did. It’s a very good loudspeaker. 

I used to have a nice Denon AVR in my upstairs system until it got taken out by a lightening strike. I bought a Cambridge Audio integrated to replace it. It sure seems like it sounds different. 

Deb doesn’t usually do movies or music with me anymore, she prefers Audiobooks and quiet. But last night she wanted to watch something, so we watched “Inception”. Out of the blue she says, “that sounds better than it used to.” After the movie was over I told her about this thread. She was surprised to learn that it was all in her head. 

1 hour ago, Tizman said:

The point is that the “Challenge” equalizes differences between amps before allowing participants to take the test.  That means, irrefutably, that the amps tested don’t sound the same in the real world. 

It equalizes amplifiers that aren't linear!  ..Read the test.  ..It will explain what that means.  If you have an affinity for amplifiers that's aren't linear that is your choice. 

You keep implying that this is some big 'Gotcha!!' It's not, it's all explained in the rules.

5 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but you said "infers" when I think you meant "implies".   From Lawlessenglish.com: 

"Imply and infer are two sides of the same coin: a speaker or a writer implies, whereas a listener or reader infers, and for ease of remembering, these two actions occur in alphabetical order. First, I imply, and second, you infer. I’m not implying that you won’t make this mistake any more – I’m just coming right out and saying it. I hope you’re inferring the same thing."

Anyway, I feel comfortable with that assumption. I am also comfortable with the assumption that everybody who participated in this  using speakers other than their own offered as an excuse, “well my system is more revealing - I could certainly hear a difference on my system!"

Gosh you are even a grammar cop in addition to all the rest! So basically you swallow it hook line and sinker? Unknown speaker types are valid test beds? Am I assuming this correctly both in thought and grammar?

Boring, annoying, and repetitive.  Did I spell everything correctly?  ODS123, please feel free to correct my spelling and grammar if you see any errors.

10 minutes ago, Deang said:

I’m bored. Can we please talk about capacitors?

A speaker capacitor shoot out would be interesting.  Any thoughts OSD123?

23 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Boring, annoying, and repetitive.  Did I spell everything correctly?  ODS123, please feel free to correct my spelling and grammar if you see any errors.

A speaker capacitor shoot out would be interesting.  Any thoughts OSD123?

Don't know too much but Bob Crites (who is revered here almost as much as PWK)  seems to think that all (good) capacitors sound the same.  From his website

Good caps all sound the same.  Let's define that term.  A good cap has the value of capacitance we need and has very low ESR (I defined ESR earlier).  A bad cap has either the wrong value of capacitance and/or higher ESR.  If we compare a good cap to a bad cap, we would probably hear a difference.  If we compare two bad caps, they would also probably sound different.

That said, I'm not surprised that that has now become an area of audio connoisseur fixation.  ..Fuses next?

12 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Time domain? Frequency domain? Transfer function?

Good luck getting an answer from ODS123.  Maybe if you intentionally misspell something?

23 minutes ago, Tizman said:

How about a crossover resistor shootout?  I don’t think anyone has done one of those yet.  ABX tested of course, but this time with a proper all horn speaker.

Nobody gives a shit....Wait. That was said on page one about the current topic--My idea would be start a private forum section where these things could be discussed along with a myriad of others that could bring angst and call it The Bullshit Forum👼