Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

@ODS123 thanks for posting the link to this experiment. I had read it before but I enjoyed rereading it. Just joined this forum because I got my first pair of Klipsch speakers but have been very surprised by the subjective slant. Anyone interested in learning more about the objective point of view should check out this forum:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?ewr-porta/

Edited by TimW
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ODS123 said:

oh...  you mean by his first name?   How scandalous it is to address by first name the guy who points to a BS button on his lapel whenever he disagrees with something someone says.  ..Such disrespect.

And he was smoking a pipe while making a technical remark about his khorn?  ..Oh, the temerity.

I love Klipsch speakers too, but let's not go crazy here.  PWK designed speakers, he didn't cure lupus.

You had to be there to experience it. I never even implied it was a "scandalous" experience, that is YOUR word of EXAGGERATION, not mine. You have no skin in the game, then or now,  so your comment is worthless at this point in history. Besides, his speakers sounded like crap compared to the Spendors or the Rogers.

He didn't insult PWK, he was just putting down the Khorns by calling them something they were not, in an attempt to sell his. He was also trying to add veracity to his comment by implying he knew Paul personally, which is a tactic that questionable salesmen use on ignorant people, of which, I was not one of them, as a member of the Audio Engineering Society at the time.

14 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Love them or hate them (I love them), the LS3/5a is an iconic speaker that can still provide a lot of audio satisfaction.

A completely unlikely pairing that happens to work splendidly is the LS3/5a driven by my 845SET monoblocks.

In my opinion, of course. :)

I like them too, but to assign the term "dynamic" is misleading, just like doing that to Quad Electrostatics.

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You had to be there to experience it. Besides, his speakers sounded like crap compared to the Spendors or the Rogers. You have no skin in the game, then or now,  so your comment is worthless at this point in history. He didn't insult PWK, he was just putting down the Khorns by calling them something they were not, and attempting to add veracity to his comment by using Paul's first name, which is a tactic that salesmen use on ignorant people, of which, I was not one of them, as a member of the Audio Engineering Society at the time.

I suspect that all of these guys were kinda prickly.  It takes a lot of self-confidence and hutzpah to grow a fledgling engineering concept into a successful company.  And I'm sure there were plenty of petty jealousies.  ..You take the good with the bad when you deal with geniuses.  ..Just ask my family. :)  (j/k of course)

Still, after turning 35 many years ago I gave up on addressing people by anything but their first name - and that would apply to PWK too.  Even when I meet doctors I ask, "Can I call you XX?"  I have yet to be told no.  Seems silly and arbitrary that we elevate certain career achievements above others to where they're given a special salutation.  

4 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I suspect that all of these guys were kinda prickly.  It takes a lot of self-confidence and hutzpah to grow a fledgling engineering concept into a successful company.

None of them were prickly, just I.M.F.   It takes a lot of hutzpah to make small monitors and sub that are a direct copy from other designers and market them as your own. For THAT Mr. Fried was guilty as charged. I just saw through his BS right away. Where are his speakers today??? I rest my case.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, glens said:

I realize that (at least in "American" law?) a corporation is a "person", but if I were to toss a coin on "was" vs. "were" in this usage I believe the coin would land "were up" most times, and I've only got a couple percent "Britishness" in my makeup.  It just seems more of a "committee"  than an "entity" for things like that.  Not that this is really (if at all) pertinent to the premise of the thread.  Just doing my part to make it to 100 pages...

Under the law of England (and other Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth countires) they have treated "companies" as persobs since at least the mid-19th century (if you count the British East India Company, than back to 1600).

The first US case was the Dartmouth case in about 1820.  B... but there are those who love it" said Daniel Webster in concluding his argument to the Court, with a tear in his eye.  This was well established by 1866 in the Santa Clara case.

The BBC is a "person" under their law.

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Obviously better than your ability to frame your answer in a manner that is clear and unambiguous. :)

But I digress.

How about restating your answer so even us stoopid folk can understand. ;)

You @Don Richard @TubeHiFiNut both need to take a breath.

I didn't go back to see where this started (not gonna), it just doesn't need to continue.  

After all, this is just audio.

"The birth of the modern transmission line speaker design came about in 1965 with the publication of A R Bailey’s article in Wireless World, “A Non-resonant Loudspeaker Enclosure Design”,[13] detailing a working Transmission Line. Radford Audio took up this innovative design and briefly manufactured the first commercial Transmission Line loudspeaker. Although acknowledged as the father of the Transmission Line, Bailey’s work drew on the work on labyrinth design, dating back as early as the 1930s" Modern Fried speakers also copied the MTM method of driver complement and mounting by D'Appolito. Still an 88 db/watt "space heater."

More BS that Irving did:

Of course, Bud, had called it the IMF, and therefore, perhaps mistakenly we registered IMF and formed an IMF company... At no time did Bud Fried have any input on the designs. We sold him speakers and he was the US Distributor... [7][...] Bud Fried was never a Director or shareholder of IMF Electronics. IMF electronics were the only company manufacturing the transmission line speakers. The name IMF was adopted because Bud Fried had demonstrated the first prototype speakers at the New York hi fi show, and because of the publicity and the fact that he had used his name on the then unnamed speakers, we stuck with the name which was a mistake on our part. It was never his company. After our lawsuit he called his speakers Fried.[7]

The relationship broke down acrimoniously when Irving began to make his own, poorer quality speakers, also marketed as "IMF", and refused to cease until a court agreed that the UK business had the right to the trademark IMF for loudspeakers.[7] Following the split, Irving in the USA (under the brandname "Fried") and the three founders of IMF Electronics in the UK (via a joint venture with driver manufacturer Elac under the name TDL), both became well known in audiophile circles for many years as major advocates of transmission line speaker design.[7] TDL closed after John Wright's gradual failing of health and death in 1999 from cancer.[7] He was described in his 1999 obituary as "one of the most important figures on the British hi-fi scene since the mid-1960s... best remembered for his transmission-line loudspeaker designs".[16] The brand was acquired by Audio Partnerships (part of retailer group Richer Sounds). Freid died six years later, in 2005.[17]

http://www.friedproducts.com/

Contrast this against what Bob Carver has done with inefficient speakers that were affordable  (truly Amazing) and TROUNCED anything done by "me too" Fried for similar or less dollars.

BTW, I fully acknowledge that Bob Carver was and is in the business of selling High Wattage amplifiers to go with his and other speakers, regardless of efficiency.

41 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

After our lawsuit he called his speakers Fried.[7]

Not directing this at you but, wondering where the Fried Egg Tweeter came about?

@ODS123...PWK may not have cured lupus per say but he did, and his inspired products have indeed lowered blood pressure, which has had and still has, a positive health effect which can only be imagined, and still in discovery which, can and has prevented heart disease, just to name one. Proof in the pudding by studies to be found online which you may peruse at your leisure, while enjoying the health benefits that are directly derived from listening to the music you enjoy. Dementia and other forms of, have also if only temporarily help bring a good number of residents of nursing homes back from the abyss.There are references to be found on this forum. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, billybob said:

Not directing this at you but, wondering where the Fried Egg Tweeter came about?

@ODS123...PWK may not have cured lupus per say but he did, and his inspired products have indeed lowered blood pressure, which has had and still has, a positive health effect 

touche' ..no disagreement here.  Music, if not cures, at least improves all ills. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, billybob said:

I say @glens, in keeping with this newfound spirit of the thread, would you consider a corporation viewed as a person to have fair access

to being or having an LLC. status as well? Some may have considered this, one would hope by competent legal minds, as being compared to having the protection to both sides of the coin(realm). A more fair analogy may be, in my estimation as, having your cake and eating it too. Please excuse the the's I used...thanks.

On that question I'd like to defer to anybody else on the forum as I'm hardly familiar with "LLC."  For as much as I've given it any consideration at all (which is practically nil) I'd be surprised if it could be combined with incorporation - I'd guess it to be an either/or proposition.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, glens said:

On that question I'd like to defer to anybody else on the forum as I'm hardly familiar with "LLC."  For as much as I've given it any consideration at all (which is practically nil) I'd be surprised if it could be combined with incorporation - I'd guess it to be an either/or proposition.

Simply a limited liability corporation giving you some protection against personal lawsuits. Was just some food for thought via our lawyer friends here, of which I am not amongst them. Missed your input on the forum and just catching up. Thanks...:)

2 hours ago, glens said:

It can be incremental, first LLC, then full C corp...............according to a podcast I just heard.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:22 PM, ODS123 said:

Not sure I believe this.  ..That is, not when KEF, Vandersteen, B&W, Dynaudio, Vienna Acoustics, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Spica, and the vast majority of ALL other technically and commercially successful designs that followed utilized this material.  

The front of those speakers, BTW, look a bit like a high school shop project.  ..Not exactly sterling examples of teutonic fit/finish.

My JBL4311s aren't made with plywood, but not like modern mdf either. It's a coarser material... walnut veneer is still holding on tightly. They are way bigger and heavier than the BBC  small monitors with the small woofer. Sure hauled them around enough.

Had them since new in the mid '70s.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It can be incremental, first LLC, then full C corp...............according to a podcast I just heard.

Both provide limited liability, one is a corporation, one is a hybrid (LLC).  They both typically provide the same protection, however, one is taxed like a corporation, the other like a partnership so you can avoid the "S" corp drawbacks.

This is more of an accounting question than a legal question.

Travis