Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

7 minutes ago, garyrc said:

And they drive on the wrong side of the street.

You know, I've always forgotten to look when having the rare chance.  I'd like to think the clutch and gas pedals are at least "correctly" positioned on UK cars.  Or are they swapped from normal, too?  It'd be bad enough to have to remember which side to drive on, but it would be at least doable if the pedals were the same as ours.

32 minutes ago, glens said:

Looks like Paul favors Estwing; good, they've been my striking tool of choice for many decades.  Since I've been a Hoosier (by choice) for several of those decades now, I guess great minds think alike!

Given Pauls natural reach advantage one wonders why Rudy didn't opt for a longer handle. 

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

My JBL4311s aren't made with plywood, but not like modern mdf either. It's a coarser material... walnut veneer is still holding on tightly. They are way bigger and heavier than the BBC  small monitors with the small woofer. Sure hauled them around enough.

Had them sine new in the early '70s.

Wow... just googled JBL 4311's.  Now these DO look like they're made from something closer to particle board.  Still, that notwithstanding, there are countless images of these speakers in (what seems to be) present day setups looking pristine.  ..Proving the point that speakers don't need to be made from plywood to hold up over years, even decades.  As an aside, this damage ended up being beautifully repaired. CORRECTION:  Probably more accurate to say "restored".  He ended up re-veneering the speaker.  Something which I'll have to one day try my hand at as it looks fun and rewarding.

cornerdmg.thumb.jpg.94a950f64eaf0aa5c9458fc5b3f70003.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Still, that notwithstanding, there are countless images of these speakers in (what seems to be) present day setups looking pristine.

Mine are in great shape... as far as the cabinets go. I had the original shipping boxes for a good 25 years, so whenever I moved they were well protected and I transported the audio equipment myself and didn't let friends or movers touch them.

I have some relatively pristine Sansui speakers with the carved wood grills that are the same cabinet construct that I got from a widow friend. They are actually a bit more beat up , but it's just the veneer that is messy.

If I had to be hauling them around or hanging them over a stage, I would want them made out of plywood.

Bruce

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

Mine are in great shape...

Poor living room lighting, but...

Need the foams for the tweeters and the foils are coming loose. I have them upside down to get the tweeters up higher. I just roll the bass off since they are on the floor.

20190125_180121_001.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, glens said:

You know, I've always forgotten to look when having the rare chance.  I'd like to think the clutch and gas pedals are at least "correctly" positioned on UK cars.  Or are they swapped from normal, too?  It'd be bad enough to have to remember which side to drive on, but it would be at least doable if the pedals were the same as ours.

Right-hand-drive cars have their pedals in the usual orientation, but the shifter is on the centre console, which is to the driver's left, of course.  What can be disorienting at first is having to look up to the left to see the rear view mirror.  The non-standardized part is the location of the turn signal/headlight control stalks.  They can be on either side, depending on the brand of car.

Driving on the left is easy enough, especially if there are other cars on the road.  However, if you find yourself alone on the road, it's easy to revert to usual habit and drive on the right side of the road, or go to the right of a road centre divider, instead of to your left, as you should.  It's an unpleasant shock to suddenly find all the traffic on a one-way road coming toward you.

What's also messed up is when there are lots of cars of both types on the road.  This is often found in the West Indies, in the Bahamas, for instance.  There are lots of both British and North American cars on the road there, so it looks odd to flag down a taxi and see that the driver in his Chevy is on the curb side of the street.