Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

32 minutes ago, Coytee said:

To achieve what?

To hear more superlative,  descriptive  and eloquent commentary like........

37 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

And, like me, they are also music obsessives who care a great deal about fidelity.

How can you not admire and desire to hear more of this?

On a serious note the funny thing about all this is that if he can't hear a difference can you imagine how bad his source files might be? I guess when it is garbage in garbage comes out no matter how pretty the trash compactor.

7 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Whatever issues you're eluding to apparently matter less than the improvement of having everything coming from the center.

I suggest turning your head towards the one speaker that is working.  Bam!  That is now the center.  Perhaps also turn your chair to face the one working speaker so that you don't get a crick in your neck.

6 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Does listening to one speaker in mono to compare to another speaker put me in the dumb class?   Just wondering.......

No.  That puts you in the smart class.  I'm assuming that when you do this, you listen to one speaker at a time, right?   If you can compare two speakers by listening to them both in mono at the same time, you belong in the genius class.  Also, I'm just talking out of my derrière to get a reaction from ODS123.  Which worked.

10 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Does listening to one speaker in mono to compare to another speaker put me in the dumb class?   Just wondering.......

I did this very thing a few years back to compare an expensive speaker cable to generic Home Depot speaker wire.  ..And a Radio Shack interconnect to a pricey AudioQuest (from CD player).  Before doing so I pushed the speakers right next to each other to keep contributions of room reflections reasonable consistent for each speaker.  I then used the balance control to quickly alternate b/w the two.  

I've suggested this from of comparison hear at Klipsch forum but haven't been able to convince anyone to try it (of if they have they haven't mentioned it).

What amp are you using Chief bonehead that has a mono switch?  ..Just curious.  ..There aren't many around these days.

9 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Does listening to one speaker in mono to compare to another speaker put me in the dumb class?   Just wondering......

No, not dumb.....  in fact, perhaps pretty darn smart & sneaky!  Since we discovered somewhere else that Klipsch evidently, doesn't have any engineers....  It could be concluded that you must be a novice fisherman wannabe that is actually posing as an engineer to gain some street cred, no??

I mean....  you can't even spell bass right when you are talking about bass...

4 hours ago, Tizman said:

Also, I'm just talking out of my derrière to get a reaction from ODS123.  Which worked.

..I get it.  It's a web forum so people will goat and taunt.  Fine.  Be as snarky as you want.  ..But if you aren't going to be at least a little pertinent, then please leave the thread.  ..No need for your help getting to 100pgs.  I'm not interested in that.  The thread can fizz out - it's fine by me.

FWIW, I really don't think you've done much to advance the "all amps and other electronics sound different and should be compared and selected through sighted and extended auditions " point of view.  And I suspect any beginners still reading this thread feel the same. 

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

But if you aren't going to be at least a little pertinent, then please leave the thread.

Day what now? Gotta love it and now he is a thread cop too.

3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I've suggested this from of comparison hear at Klipsch forum but haven't been able to convince anyone to try it (of if they have they haven't mentioned it).

I don't mean to be rude but it is here and not hear.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Who are you quoting?

I'm summarizing the advice offered by the amps sound different crowd. 

all amps and other electronics sound different and should be compared and selected through sighted and extended auditions

If that is a mischaracterization, please tell me how precisely.  Is that not your stance on amplifiers, cd players, DACs, etc..? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I'm summarizing the advice offered by the amps sound different crowd. 

all amps and other electronics sound different and should be compared and selected through sighted and extended auditions

If that is a mischaracterization, please tell me how precisely.  Is that not your stance on amplifiers, cd players, DACs, etc..? 

OK buster, refute THAT one. You have had it now Dean.

I don’t need to see the amplifiers, but a little bit of time with them would be nice. A few songs off of a CD I know well is usually enough (if pressed for time). At any rate, if you’re not quoting someone, you probably shouldn’t use quotes. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ODS123 said:

I did this very thing a few years back to compare an expensive speaker cable to generic Home Depot speaker wire.  ..And a Radio Shack interconnect to a pricey AudioQuest (from CD player).  Before doing so I pushed the speakers right next to each other to keep contributions of room reflections reasonable consistent for each speaker.  I then used the balance control to quickly alternate b/w the two.  

Yes.  The balance control completely ruined any chance of hearing a difference.  I’m glad you finally figured it out.

• Like 1

For the speaker wire it'd be better to wire them both to the speaker and each other end to A & B outputs on the same channel and alternate with that switch.  For the interconnects you'd rightly need two active outputs on the CD player and alternate between source inputs on the pre-amp.  Even if you were playing a mono CD, you'd still be using different sides of the player's innards which might differ somewhat (same goes for the amp/pre-amp when comparing interconnects or speaker wires); just to eliminate all possible variables.  

5 hours ago, glens said:

For the speaker wire it'd be better to wire them both to the speaker and each other end to A & B outputs on the same channel and alternate with that switch.  For the interconnects you'd rightly need two active outputs on the CD player and alternate between source inputs on the pre-amp.  Even if you were playing a mono CD, you'd still be using different sides of the player's innards which might differ somewhat (same goes for the amp/pre-amp when comparing interconnects or speaker wires); just to eliminate all possible variables.  

Totally agree on both counts.  ..My suggestion is a way of applying a tiny bit of scientific rigor with the least amount of effort.  .But you're correct.  My method assumes that both channels of both the amp and the CD player are functioning properly and playing at the same output level.  This is not a tall ask for any CD player, but it may be for some amplifiers - particularly those coming from small boutiquey outfits

That said, your recommendation would be even better.  Still, I expect few to do either.  I think the truth is that most audiophiles really DON'T want to know whether the differences they are hearing are real or the result of expectation biases that naturally and unavoidably follow from sighted and non-volume matched comparisons. 

• Like 1