Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm supposed to do a tour of the new 300B plant and need to give them a call to schedule.

That sounds like fun.  It could be either topology, depending on the class of operation.  I did a bit of reading on the 97A.  It seems to have little resemblance to any of the old WE amps, and the 97A designation is a new one.  

The Western Electric website refers to the 97A as a SET.  This is likely to mean that it is 8 300Bs in parallel.  At a normal transformer ratio of 2500K Ohms to 8 Ohms for one 300B, 8 tubes would use a transformer ratio of 312.5 Ohms to 8 Ohms.  It is much, much easier to produce a very high quality output transformer of this low ratio.  My guess is that a big part of the circuit in this amp is dedicated to keeping all 8 tubes in balance for parallel operation.  An interesting approach.  The new WE 300Bs are going to cost around $1300 a pair, so a tube set for this amp would be $10400!   

3 hours ago, Deang said:

$60k for that?

It will need those Audiogon Super High Definition Beeswax impregnated fuses too.   https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9bg7g-beeswax-audiophile-fuses-audio-magic-the-best-fuse-on-the-market-5-worldwide-tweaks

22 minutes ago, Marvel said:

@Deang   Yes... each monobock is over $61K. They do sell some, but I'm sure not very often. Hartly Peavey has a set.

https://westernelectric.com/

Well, they were "Created For those of taste and distinction"  Curiously, they do not offer a pre-amp, apart from a phone pre.  

I'd be worried that a company with such incredibly low volume and small target audience is apt to fold and leave owners without a service network or available replacement parts.  In which case you have a very attractive boat anchor or expensive ammo for your trebuchet.

38 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Well, they were "Created For those of taste and distinction"  Curiously, they do not offer a pre-amp, apart from a phone pre.  

I'd be worried that a company with such incredibly low volume and small target audience is apt to fold and leave owners without a service network or available replacement parts.  In which case you have a very attractive boat anchor or expensive ammo for your trebuchet.

You really are tedious. Their phone number is listed, give them a call and ask...but then, I know you won't...you really don't get it. The 300B IS a Single Ended Triode. The topology could vary. I doubt you even think about the topology of your SS amps or receivers.

This will be rolling out soon, and I am sure it's a little more affordable.

Western Electric Officially Announces WE 91E Amplifier

Rossville, Georgia, USA | May 9, 2018

As part of our continued observance of the WE 300B vacuum tube’s 80th Anniversary, we’re announcing to the audio world a brand new amplifier, the WE 91E. The 91E is itself a celebration of the 300B, which is popular today for its many high-end audio applications. The single-ended, integrated amp will unleash the triode, pushing over 20 watts per channel while remaining well within safe operating areas. This never before seen level of performance is achieved by a bold and creative circuit topology which gives powerful, balanced playback with low noise and zero negative feedback. Within its elegant, yet simple enclosure design is a Class A2, constant current source (CCS), parallel feed circuit board, a toroidal power and output transformer, microprocessor controlled bias, and a moving coil, moving magnet phono stage.

The 91E not only celebrates the 300B, but the 91A, its famous predecessor. President Charles Whitener says, “I imagined this amp as a modern tribute to a great piece in Western Electric’s rich product lineage. Our lead engineer brought decades of experience to make something really special and unexpected. It’s a perfect marriage between old school and new school.”

91E-prototype.jpg

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You really are tedious. Their phone number is listed, give them a call and ask...but then, I know you won't...you really don't get it. The 300B IS a Single Ended Triode. The topology could vary. I doubt you even think about the topology of your SS amps or receivers.

What part of my statement are you replying to?  If I call them, what am I supposed to ask?  "Uh, hi.. Um.. what kind of assurance can you give me that your company will be around in 10 years should my $60k amplifier need repairs??"  And how is their topology relevant?

Just now, Khornukopia said:

One pair of the 97-A Monoblock Amplifiers weigh 230 lbs. and will fit on a 36"x36" display platform. Those are BIG meters.

Those meters might not move much normally with Klipsch but I bet I could make 'em jump.

• Like 1

Longevity... the new tubes are rated to last about 40,000 hrs. At three hours a day, that would get me close to 40 yrs. You can get Chinese versions for $150 and up... , but they may now last as long. So ou can go from $150-$700 a tube. My 2A3s run about $80... and I haven't had to replace them in 10 years. Everything wears out at somepoint. Have you used your SS gear for 20-40 years? Probably now.